Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 8

thebes

It's a new week and a new opportunity to share your thoughts on quality

music with your fellow Forum friends. And who knows, you may walk

away with some nifty Klipsch memorabilia.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

WAR, "All Day Music" , lp, funk/rock/blues

Many rememeber War only for their collaboration with Eric Burden of

Animals fame. But aside from the commonly know "Cisco Kid",

they've released a number of well-regarded albums over the years.

To my mind, this is one of their better ones, and I particulary like

the cuts "Nappy Head" annd "Slipping Into Darkness.

So what do you have to share this week?

1960s Happy Days ( 3 CD SET )

Posted Image

CD-1

01-01 Runaway - Del Shannon

01-02 Stand by Me - Ben E King

01-03 It's My Party - Lesley Gore

01-04 Save the Last Dance for Me - The Drifters

01-05 Happy Together - The Turtles

01-06 Cherish - The Association

01-07 This Diamond Ring - Gary Lewis And The Playboys

01-08 Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head - B J Thomas

01-09 Games People Play - Joe South

01-10 Ferry 'Cross the Mersey - Gerry & the Pacemakers

01-11 Cara Mia - Jay & the Americans

01-12 She Cried - Jay & the Americans

CD-2

02-01 Midnight Confessions - The Grass Roots

02-02 More Today Than Yesterday - Pat Upton

02-03 That Worst That Could Happen - Brooklyn Bridge

02-04 Bread and Butter - The Newbeats

02-05 Poetry in Motion - Johnny Tillotson

02-06 Monkey Time - Major Lance

02-07 What's Your Name - Don & Juan

02-08 Tragedy - Fleetwoods

02-09 Nut Rocker - B. Bumble & the Stingers

02-10 Respectable - Outsiders

02-11 You Don't Own Me - Lesley Gore

02-12 Twine Time - Alvin Cash And The Crawlers

02-13 Rescue Me - Fontella Bass

CD-3

03-01 Uptown - Crystals

03-02 Two Faces Have I - Lou Christie

03-03 Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gillmer

03-04 Hat's Off to Larry - Del Shannon

03-05 Mr. Bass Man - Johnny Cymbal

03-06 Soul Man - Sam And Dave

03-07 Shakin' All Over - Chad Allen And The Guess Who

03-08 Along Comes Mary - The Association

03-10 It's in His Kiss (The Shoop, Shoop Song) - Betty Everett

03-11 Remember (Walkin' in the Sand) - The Shangrilas

03-12 Love Portion No. 9 - The Clovers

03-13 Wild Thing - The Troggs

03-14 Young Girl - Gary Puckett And The Union Gap

Sometimes you just want to hear that old sound.

I am not saying the 1960's Happy Day's CD collection is the best but I do like the collection.

What I am saying is you should have some of these type collections to complete your library!

Next time the mood strikes you will be ready to party down.

Greg's pick: Twine Time by Alvin Cash And The Crawlers

Here's an old treasure from 1971;

Muswell Hillbillies; the Kinks...............remastered CD

Been along time since I heard this one. Didn't really care for it back then but, what a good album it is now. The Kinks were way ahead of the times with this sorta country style release. Great song writing, good pace to the album, and the band never sounded better. When this album was released it was completely off the wall, but that's the Kinks for you, doing what they felt at the time, and not really caring what people thought about it. Really, a blue collar, corner pub, having a couple of cold ones with the guys, type feel to it. Funny thing is, it make sense in today's world, not bad for an album released 35 years ago. Well worth a listen, give it a try, you might be surprised, really sounds good remastered. This may well be the Kinks finest moment, great stuff.

James Brown

Soul Pride: The Instumentals 1960 - 69

CD -- Funk, Jazz, Soul, Blues, R&B

2 CD collection - 36 tracks - Powerful, tight, extended jams, incredible musicianship. I absolutely love this collection. Not the usual stuff you are used to hearing from JB. I dance like a complete spaz, but I can't help but move around whenever I put this on. You will not be able to resist the funkiness.

From another reviewer - "While James Brown is no doubt most recognized for such familiar hits as "Sex Machine," "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag," and "I Got You (I Feel Good)," his remarkable skills as a musician, composer, and bandleader are often overshadowed by his flamboyant stage presence. In addition to his role as vocalist, he also spent time on the organ and the drums. This magnificent 2-disc set concentrates on his instrumental work with his various lineups during the decade of the 1960's, showcasing their airtight performances of soul, blues, jazz and funk. Brown's demanding material resulted in a succession of top-shelf players such as keyboardist Bobby Byrd, tenor sax legends "Pee Wee" Ellis and Maceo Parker, trombonist Fred Wesley, and funky drummer Clyde Stubblefield, whose infectious breaks were one of the cornerstones of beat sampling in hip-hop. A pair of live cuts display a couple of the lineups in action, with the 1966 group, the New Breed, doing their signature tune, "Devil's Den," and the 1968 band captured in the spotlight on a fabulous version of Archie Bell & The Drells' "Tighten Up," led by Maceo. Not all of the tracks lack vocals, however. Brown's voice can be heard from behind the drums on "Hold It," as well as on "Devil's Den," "Ain't It Funky Now, Pts. 1 & 2," and "Funky Drummer." This collection represents the other side of the hardest working man in show business...."

post-17373-13819297842954_thumb.jpg

B00000J7A4.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band

The Mirror Man Sessions

Rock, blues, jazz.

CD

• Label: Buddha
  • ASIN: B00000J7A4

Possibly the most accessible Beefheart (and perhaps the most intense).

Rammstein - Sehnsucht (Import CD - Germany)

CD Release: 1998

Posted Image

01 - Sehnsucht

02 - Engel

03 - Tier

04 - Bestrafe Mich

05 - Du Hast

06 - Bück Dich

07 - Spiel Mit Mir

08 - Klavier

09 - Alter Mann

10 - Eifersucht

11 - Küss Mich (Fellfrosch)

"Du Hast" was nominated for the 1999 Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance. First introduced to the public in the soundtrack to David Lynch's LOST HIGHWAY, Rammstein produces a unique brand of menacing Teutonic rock, reconciling forebears (and admitted influence) Kraftwerk with the sonic assault of Nine Inch Nails. SEHNSUCHT manages to come on strong enough to get the Germans to forget about David Hasselhoff--at least for a while. As the eerie Arabic sample which introduces the opening title track dissolves into a crushing electric guitar attack, the listener descends into the dark sonic dungeon that is Rammstein. Vocalist Till Lindemann growls atop the group's twin guitar force, intoning the band's strangely romantic lyrics with snarling menace; the result is brutal drama of the highest order. From the exotic sonic experimentation of "Tier" to the tight crunch of "Buck Dich," SEHNSUCHT is a heavy, scary thrill ride, pausing for breath only with the comically soft "Klavier."

1997 album from the controversial German shock rock act,featuring the hit European singles 'Du Hast' and 'Engel'.11 tracks total. A Motor label release. 'Sehnsucht' means'Longing' in English. 'Rammstein' translates into 'BatteringRam' in English.

I ran across Rammstein's work when they did a cover of Kraftwerk's "Das Model". Being a Kraftwerk fan myself I gave Rammstein a spin.

Rammstein is very heavy metal a choice I will not hold against them.

I have come to enjoy Rammstein's music very much.

If any of you are into classical piano music you've probably heard of Vladimir Horowitz.

I recently obtained his "Complete Masterworks Recordings, 1962-1973" set. It's 13 volumes of pure bliss. I have yet to hear a pianist with a more masterful touch than Vladimir. His renditions of Rachmaninoff's works are inimitable. Mostly because he was a good friend of Rachmaninoffs. They knew each other very well. Rachmaninoff even gave Horowitz "artistic license" of the Piano Concerto No. 3 by Rachmaninoff. He even said Horowitz played his Piano Concerto No. 2 better than he!

Keep in mind that during these concerts Horowitz was in his 60's. I don't know many pianists that can play as well as he does at his age. The recordings are not perfect, he makes mistakes, but it's the most emotionally rich piano playing I have ever heard. No two renditions are the same. I love it.

post-21159-13819297855088_thumb.jpg

DeeDee Bridgewater, "J'ai Deux Amours" - CD, Jazz

An outstanding performance with a recording quality that makes this an instant reference recording for system testing too. DeeDee is probably the finest female singer in Jazz today - as noted by Howard Reich in the Chicago Tribune's recent review of her performance at the Jazz Showcase - on tour supporting this current recording. IF you like female jazz singers - get it!

Water Stories - Cusco

Audio CD: Released July 1, 1991

Posted Image

01. Waters Of Cesme

02. Java

03. Seychelles

04. Lake Erie

05. Bur Said

06. Jebel At Tarik

07. Sun Of Jamaica

08. Lake Of The Ozarks

09. Alcatraz

10. Bodensee

11. Aurora

12. Chorus

The album is dedicated to major water bodies of the world, lakes, seas and hills. The mesmerizing music with a touch of traditional music of its location made it an extremely popular release.

Cusco is a German New Age band named after the Peruvian city of Cusco. Their songs contain influences from music found around the world. It comprises Michael Holm and Kristian Schultz. Michael Holm had long been fascinated with Cusco, the ancient region of Peru. Being a musician he wanted to show his fascination in the form of a musical tribute to the ancient world of Cusco. He met Kristian Schultz in 1978 and found out that they shared same musical and historical tastes. In 1979, Cusco the band was formed and they soon signed with Higher Octave, a German label.

Note: The song Java from this CD was used as one of our selected Wedding songs. Another CD we have enjoyed for many years!

I really like the album by Band Of Horses-Everything All The Time. It

came out on SubPop a few months back and I've probably listened to it

20 times or so. I bought the wax. It's reminding me a LOT of My Morning

Jacket(especially the reverb-drenched vocals) with a little Built To

Spill thrown in. Indie-rock.

Of course the newest Built To Spill is being played to death here as

Doug Martsch is one of my girlfriend and I's very favorite

singer/songwriters. It's titled You In Reverse and it came out a few

weeks ago. I bought the cd but Up! Records should be releasing a vinyl

edition any time. I urge anyone into good rockin' stuff to check out

the album Keep It Like A Secret. It's one of those just perfect albums.

Indie-rock. Check out these lyrics to their track You Were Right.

You Were Right

You were wrong when you said

Everything's gonna be alright

You were right when you said

All that glitters isn't gold

All we are is dust in the wind

We are all just bricks in the wall

And when you said manic depression's a frustrating mess

You can't always get what you want

It's a hard rain's gonna fall

We're still running against the wind

And life goes on after the thrill of living is gone

This is the end

Do you ever think about it?

::I accidently put this in last weeks post, but it came out this week::

The Red Hot Chili Peppers new double disc is pretty good. It's called "Stadium Arcadium". If you like the Chilis' this is for you. If you've never heard them, they are a great rock/funk/soul band.

Jeremy

Beck / Sea of Change / Slow and easy listening - Rock / CD

I personally love all of Becks work except the first CD he released. Each release he has made comes equipped with a new musical style or format, Sea of Change continues with this trend. The tempo of this CD is very slow when compared to any of Becks other offerings.