Need help picking a receiver for my speakers....please!

gonnaluvit

Hi guys, I'm brand new to the Klipsch family and the world of HT. I recently purchased some speakers to start setting up my HT. I have the RF-63's, RC-64 and RF-52's that I will use as surround (hope that works), now I need a receiver. Can you guys recommend something that will power these well for under $500, if possible? I would like to also listen to music and have an I-pod hook-up. Any links would be helpful.

Also, would you recommend a sub or are these speakers enough?

Thank you!

Hi guys, I'm brand new to the Klipsch family and the world of HT. I recently purchased some speakers to start setting up my HT. I have the RF-63's, RC-64 and RF-52's that I will use as surround (hope that works), now I need a receiver. Can you guys recommend something that will power these well for under $500, if possible? I would like to also listen to music and have an I-pod hook-up. Any links would be helpful.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, you came to the right place, and get ready for some answers. You need to figure out what you want, do you want tubes, or SS, 5.1,6.1,7.1, receiver or amp/pre amp, intergrated amp, many questions that forum members will ask you, so be ready. There are some very knowledgable people on this forum, alot of ideas, alot of opinions, use the information, and use what's best for you. Good Luck, and be ready, for the Madness to Begin. New or Used, the questions will never stop!!!!!!

Thank you!

You might to a look at Bestbuy or Circuit city to see what they have to offer. Thats a tight budget for a reciever.

As far as set up, I'm really not too sure what I want. What can I do with my current speakers and a sub?

I did go to Best Buy and the guy was trying to sell me a Yamaha that was an older model that had 140 watts per channel that was around $500. Sorry, I didn't get the model number.

Regarding the budget, um, thats kind of what I'll tell my girlfrined I paid. ;o) I may pay a little more. However, I am thrifty with my money. I don't mind buying last years model or even a used receiver, if it gets the job done.

I see the Yamaha RX-V657 on ebay for $320. I really like all the features it has including the HDTV function and YAPO. My question is, is 95 watts per channel enough? The Best Buy sales person said I should go for 140. Also, is there an amp like this that has the ipod hook-up? The ipod will probably be my primary souce for music as it already is.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

get the pioneer 1015tx. It is a rebadged pioneer elite 52tx. Look at the pictures of both and compare. But it offers 120 watts, thx selects2, everything you need and then some. Even in room eq with a microphone included. It goes for around 500 at bestbuy and circuitcity but I actually brought one at $375 new from a authorized dealer but decided to go with a stereo hk reciever due to the lack and need of 5.1 or 7.1, I just want to keep it stereo for now.

I know of the yamaha and it is cheap because it is a bit outdated while the 1015 will

be replaced in june with the 1016? but that supposed to just add satellite radio and hdmi if you want.

On wattage, klipsch is very good on it which they are extremely efficent. You would want a high current reciever though. Watts mean nothing if there is no current behind it. But at 60 watts you're more likely to be hitting 120 db in room

You want gizmo's or sound quality?You really can't get both new for cheap.You name the mass market manufacturer and I've owned em',several of each.Better go and get one of those HK635's,(599.00) its sweet w/Klipsch,only my well informed opinion.

Yes, it seems people really like the Yammy. Any idea on how many watts per channel I should look for?

Remember when comparing watt ratings that it takes DOUBLE the power to make a noticable 3 db increase in sound levels. So there isn't that much difference between a receiver rated at 75 wpc and say 110 wpc. Most are a bit overrated anyways. Look for ratings 20-20k bandwidth at low distortion with ALL channels (5 or 7) driven.

Many manufacturers rate at 1k single channel- easy to get 125 watts out of that, by the time you turn all channels on, power supply drops and it's maybe really 60 wpc.

I think the Yammie 657 or so is a very good set of features, reasonable power and good price. Models are changing all the time, just get DTS and 2nd zone if you need it. I like the YPAO auto adjust features of the Yammie.

Michael

You want gizmo's or sound quality?You really can't get both new for cheap.You name the mass market manufacturer and I've owned em',several of each.Better go and get one of those HK635's,(599.00) its sweet w/Klipsch,only my well informed opinion.

I concure with the hk635 too as it can be found for 500-600, try jandr.com

I have the hk3480 which basically stole two channels off the hk635

I agree with Colterphoto1...I have a Nakamichi TA/2...55wpc...had a Yamaha CA-610II...45wpc...have a McIntosh MAC1900...50 (55)wpc and a McIntosh MA6200 ...75wpc...no real difference in VOLUME...now if you want to talk Tubes...EICO HF-81...14 (yes, 14) wpc and it can get PLENTY loud...then there is Craig NOSValves VRDs...60wpc and they can get REAL loud!...enjoy...Bill

Yamaha is a good performer for the money. I have

an RX-V 750 and am very happy with it. It drives my Heritage speakers (Fortes

Academy Heresy) to way more than enough volume with good audio quality. It is

rated at 100 wpc and has 2 zones. This model was replaced by the RX-V 757,

which is the same unit but is XM ready. The HTR line of receivers sold at BB

are the same basic units as the equally powered/featured RX-V line. The

differences are cosmetics. The RX-V line is sold at places like Tweeters and

the HTR line is for BB.

As far as set up, I'm really not too sure what I want. What can I do with my current speakers and a sub?

I did go to Best Buy and the guy was trying to sell me a Yamaha that was an older model that had 140 watts per channel that was around $500. Sorry, I didn't get the model number.

Regarding the budget, um, thats kind of what I'll tell my girlfrined I paid. ;o) I may pay a little more. However, I am thrifty with my money. I don't mind buying last years model or even a used receiver, if it gets the job done.

]

Buy my 120w X 2 channel Sony D1011s Receiver for $100. It's Pro-Logic

Too Late Receiver is sold!!!!!!!!

Cal B. sez: "The HTR line of receivers sold at BB

are the same basic units as the equally powered/featured RX-V line."

sorry, but NOT TRUE. the HTR lineup is measured with the 1khz method I outlined above. Power from the RXV series is rated the more standard and conservative 20-20K, all channels going, etc. I've researched the Yamaha website thoroughly to get this information. Also note that watt for watt the RXV will be a much heavier unit- so there's more of something in there.

Michael

Here it is direct from the Yamaha website- FAQ- Home Theatre Receivers

"The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units

are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted

measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution.

Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics

of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power

amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers

rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response

of 20-20000 Hz."

May I suggest the Denon AVR-1906, I do so for these reasons:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

In a 5.1 system, the surround back amplifiers can be assigned as a second set of front channels. This allows you to passively bi-amp your RF-63s bi-wire connections for improved sound quality.

Price

Passive Bi-amping is superior in sound quality than simply bi-wiring.

http://usa.denon.com/AVR1906.pdf

$549 Retail

You will get lots of suggestions, and IMHO, asking which reciever is

best, is akin to asking who makes the best car, everyone has a

favorite.

That said, I was advised, and I think it is good advice, so I pass it

along . . . get a reciever with enough features to let you grow,

specifically, you want pre-amp outs for every channel that way, you can amp or not amp as you want later.

I run the Yamaha RX-v757 and like it.