Car Audio: Alpine vs. Polk

Hey ppl,

I'm looking @ doing a car stereo upgrade in the near to distant future and am looking at two different sets of speakers for the front of my pickup. I'll deff. go to a store and test both out before deciding for sure, but I always like to hear what other people have to say.

I'm comparing the Alpine Type-S SPS171A set to the Polk MMC6500. I want decent bass, but w/o the distortion for lows and highs. (I don't plan on getting a sub, because I don't want window-shattering bass and also don't have the room.) I will most likely get an amp, though. I've heard some say the Polks have good bass, but can distort, and vice versa for the Alpines. (If I had it my way, I'd get Klipsch, but obviously can't..[:(] )

Just looking for some positive/negative feedback

Thanks!

I have installed and listened to both. I have Polks in my minivan, and also Infinity Kappas in our other minivan. They are nice also! You will be happy with either. When installing the tweeters, first just run a wire inside and use some sticky caulking or something to position the tweeters for best sound. DO NOT CUT HOLES in doors or anything until you have played around with positioning and listened for a few weeks. In the corners of the dash, facing up into the windshieds, or firing crosswise should be 2 positions to try.

Also, from my experience, you will absolutely want an external amp. As for subs, I have a small 8 inch sub in my Odyssey, and a larger 10 sub in my company supplied Freestar minivan. Not for any earthshaking bass, but in order to not have to run 60 Hz bass in the doors. Everything will rattle unless you spend alot of time, effort and money to line the inside of the doors with sound deadining sheets.

In order of importance:

1: car deck with high pass filter for front speakers, plus a sub and sub amb.

2: If you get a separate amp for the speakers, it will mostlikely have a high pass filter built in, so your deck does not need one.

You do not need to get a separate sub amp. An alternative is a small 4 channel amp, 2 channels used for the front speakers, with the other 2 bridged for the subwoofer.

Let me know how it goes. I would be happy to help. I used to own a consumer electronics shop and sold and installed lots of car audio. Had Alpine, Polk, Pioneer

PS....In my Odyssey I have a small 8 inch Cerwin vega sub that needs only .35 cubic feet volume sealed box.

The 10 inch infinity sub in my other minivan need .75cf or less, and is less than 5 inches deep. So you may indeed find a place for it. The sub will make a HUGE difference in the sound quality.

Alpine makes good speakers but you need to listen to the type R line. Also listen to JL, Infinity, and MB Quart.

MBQuart component speakers matched with a JL Audio sub = sonic perfection,or close in a car.I heard a few installaions,more quality than SPL and the two that stand out are Quart/JL and Dynaudio/Focal drivers. BostonAcoustics also has a few superb speakers to chose from.

Depending on your budget, I would consider a pair of a/d/s 236is's (2-way component set) they are 6.5" woofer and copolymer tweeter and have smooth crisp highs and super tight mid-bass, a nice large outboard crossover network and decent efficiency as well. MB Quart are nice but the titanium tweeter in them has always been overly bright and they are priced high as well. The a/d/s set can be had on eBay for like $170 or so and MSRP is $400.

The a/d/s set will be superior to the Polk and Alpine, the Polk's I like are the Momo series products which are built with superior materials and cast frames. Very nice.

If you have cash look at Morel, DynAudio, Focal, Vifa, Peerless or Seas drivers and custom networks.

I have an Alpine CDA-7998 feeding an Orion XTR-475 (75W x 4) and the a/d/s's don't break up or distort even when driven hard. I am running them at 80Hz and up with an 18db per octave slope.

Good luck with your

If the only choices are Alpine or Polk speakers, I'd go with Polk. Polk for the speakers, Alpine for the electronics. Are they 4x6's, or what size are they?

That's exactly what I have in my Subaru Legacy .

I have an Alpine 50 watt x 4 cd/receiver and 4 6.5" Polk coaxle speakers .

It won't win any awards , but it sounds pretty good . I do like the fact that I was able to use the Subaru grills . "You wouldn't know there is anything but stock speakers in there by looking at it" . Pretty much all I need in a car , and it doesn't distract me from Emergency Vehicles . Which I feel is very important .

Whats inside my house is a completely different animal .

I did a lot of car stuff in the past and from what I see out there today the only way to go. Is for Amp's. are Rockford Fosgate and for speakers JL Audio on Sub's and MB Quart or Diamound Audio and for the head unit it would be Pioneer or Alpine.[au]

Alpine makes good speakers but you need to listen to the type R line. Also listen to JL, Infinity, and MB Quart.

MBQuart component speakers matched with a JL Audio sub = sonic perfection,or close in a car.I heard a few installaions,more quality than SPL and the two that stand out are Quart/JL and Dynaudio/Focal drivers. BostonAcoustics also has a few superb speakers to chose from.

Eclipse, Diamond Audio, and CDT Audio