Dean G, ALK's in the La Scala's via Woodog

BS Button

Al's says his networks run the tweeters a little hotter, I agree. For me with the K77's it was a little much but with my CT 125's in my LS they I Love it. I run 5/2 in my LS with K55M's on 511B horns and CT 1225 tweeters.

The Type AL-3s have a T4A autoformer instead ot the T2A. 0-3 would be about 3 dB below the normal setting for a K-55-M in ALK networks of 0-4 or 5-2 (closer to 2 dB from 5-2).

So John, if I were to simulate the Loudness of a K55M driver in a 400 horn with an AL-3 network, then I would choose taps 0,4 as it's almost exactly 3db from setting 0,3?

Tweeters are very clean, what's happening?

BS

I think you have to remember that the entire network is a significant improvement over the AL-3. It's not just a matter of being able to control the squawker volume, even though that is part of it.

I'm not really able to do techno-speak (as you well know!) but with the ALK network I noticed a much cleaner, well defined sound. When I got home last night and put the AA's back into the khorns, they still sounded good, but it was sort of like looking at a scene through cellophane vs. clean glass.

With the ALK's, instruments have more 'air' around them. The music becomes the focal point, not the speakers.

Woo

With the LaScala, your choice of 3 and 0 doesn't surprise me, though I think after a couple of days you might find the 4 and X setting provides the best balance. I am surprised however that you haven't commented on the bass. Like I said to you on the phone, when the squawker gets dialed down just a bit the bass comes forward and the whole deal should sound much more rounded out.

The tweeter: the cleanliness comes from a combination of the bandpass and the great parts. You now have a smooth transition to the tweeter and stable crossover points.

Dean,

I haven't really played too much bass laiden stuff, just yet. Had a (my) girls softball game tonight and to bed early, then on to St. Louis all week. I'll get to 'em good by this weekend. Initially, I have found a more balanced speaker and I can tell you this, for sure. Sounds much better at lower volumes. Seems like I always want to turn them up to get that thump, but I've got a little more thump without, now.

BS

OK, I'm a freakin putz. Been listening to ALK's for...oh...on and off a hour or so here and there throughout the last week. And while I was not impressed with the bass response in the La Scala's...DoH!, it was likely due to the fact that only one woofer was connected to the networks...good grief!!! House is shakin and rattlin mighty good...now

BS

I listened to my Khorns with the 5/2 setting for about a month, all the time thinking they were set on 4/X (duh, forgot I switched). I switched back to 4/X and only notice the difference on certain recordings and when I play at very high or very low volume. Like Dean said, you really need to set them based on your volume preference. On most recordings at average listening levels it is very difficult for me to tell the difference. With classical music, it's very easy to tell, especially when violins come in. Acoustic jazz is more difficult and rock is somewhere in between, depending on the vocals. I have an MFSL copy of Zepp II on vinyl and no matter what setting, Plant's vocals on Heartbreaker seem distant which is why I thought I still had it on 4/X.

Another possibility is I have no idea what I'm talking about. All I know is Dean's ALK Jr's sound much better than any networks I've previously tried and now there is no going back to standard A's or AA's. I tried. I've never heard Al's ALKs though. Maybe some day.