McIntosh Preamp question

cueman

I have an opportunity to pick up a McIntosh C11 preamp. It has a slight hum to it which I assume can be fixed, the endcap metal pieces are missing and it does have some fading of the letters on the front. I was unable to find much searching through completed ebay listings. The guy wants $500 for it, and I may be able to talk him down a little. Is this a fair deal? I really have no idea of it's value.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks, Todd

C-11 is a fine preamp--the red-headed step child of the C22.

$500 seems like a lot for one that is in poor cosmetic shape with a hum. McIntosh value SKROCKETS when the condition is excellent. A minty C11 might bring $1200 or so on the right day.

Finding the end caps might be difficult. Fixing the hum will be easy--just send it off the Craig!

Try to get it for $350 or $400.

C11 is a great McIntosh preamp. I use one with my Klipschorns and an MC240. There is a source making/selling endcaps for $75. I'll have to hunt the website down. I wouldn't feel at all bad about paying $400 to $500 for it as long as it doesn't look seriously abused.

I can even do a reasonable job screen printing the metal faceplate for you if it's real bad. I have a screen I got from DeWick repairs a while ago. I can't make it nice enough to fool an avid collector but I can make it look pretty good. There are plenty of good repair shops to handle the electronics including Craig.

I just started using a Mcintosh C27 pre-amp and so far I am impressed with the sound. I highly recommend them if you can find them. BTW, I found this one at a flea market in fair condition with some scratches but everything works fine. I paid the guy $2. Did I do good?[;)]

I have a McIntosh C11 that I got from the original owner who purchased it in 1961, (the year I was born) and it didn't have a small "Hum," it had a BIG "Hum." I sent it to Craig at NOS Valves who did a complete recapping. I told him I wanted it to be made as good as it could be without any modifications.

Needless to say it is now the preamplifier in my main system paired with a pair of Dynaco MKIII mono blocks that have been completely redone. The C11 is dead quiet through my mint LaScalas. I have the original Telefunken valves but I am running JJ's in it right now. To tell you the truth I like it's sound with my LaScalas more than a brand new Manley "Shrimp," which is saying a lot!

Unless you've got a line on a much better peramplifier pick up the C11, even though it's a full function preamplifier which is not preferred by tube freaks these days, it's still a real gem and worth a trip to Craig at NOSValves.

Regards,

Well, I tried to get it for $350, but we finally settled on $400. I have yet to determine whether or not it was a good buy. Can someone tell me how to get a hold of 'Craig' And Scott, tell me more about the faceplate and the screening if you would please. Would you wipe it clean and start fresh or just touch it up or what?

Posted Image[/url]

Posted Image[/url]

Thanks, Todd

In my opinion that is a great deal. Heck I paid a lot more than that for mine. It had endcaps but looked about the same otherwise. I wish I could find that darn place that was selling endcaps. They had Marantz glass replica's among other things. I'm still looking.

Craig's business is called NOS Valves.

http://www.nosvalves.com

If you can disassemble the glass and he metal faceplate, I can make those look a lot better(it's a hobby, no charge). PM me if you get to that point.

I briefly had a C11 in my system but it had a major hum when I hooked it up. I suppose most do eventually if left original. I was checking it out for another forum member. The price was close to a grand but it was in great cosmetic condition and I believe it also had an original walnut case. I gave it back to the guy to get rid of the hum and never heard from him again. That was over a year ago! I guess he hasn't figured it out yet.

You got a great deal and the lettering looks pretty good to me. Get rid of the hum and enjoy it!

I saw a c26 on agon not too long ago. How much work dose the older mac gear need if any? How well does the mac solid state gear mate with tube gear?

Hey Seti. I currently use a Mac C26 with my contemporary tube amp and it works just fine. I will probably unload the C26 to help fund this C11 and its repairs.

How comes the Industrial LaScala cabs?

Todd

I saw a c26 on agon not too long ago. How much work dose the older mac gear need if any? How well does the mac solid state gear mate with tube gear?

Hey Seti. I currently use a Mac C26 with my contemporary tube amp and it works just fine. I will probably unload the C26 to help fund this C11 and its repairs.

How comes the Industrial LaScala cabs?

Todd

Seems like you can't go wrong with McIntosch gear which was also blessed by PWK as a prefect match with heritage.

The La Scalas are currently in KaiserSetSay's music room which I was in just the other night. It looks like he is getting ready for them. I'll get a pic sometime soon and post in this thread.

I am currently waiting for my tube amps as they are being worked on fortunately Kaiser is lending me some gear till I get them back. [:D]

Hello Todd, just moved into a new place and now have room for the Scally's which I did not have before matter a fact they are sitting right beside my Naut. 804's and going to start ordering parts next month[:)]

Hope to have them up and running soon and of course you will be the first to know and see how they are[;)]

My better half(door bell ringing Uncle Ralph's niece)helped me carry them upstairs to their new home and my new palace as my 5 year old calls it[:o] LOL

Congrats on your new MAC, seems like Klipsch & MAC are a true match made in heaven. May be the way I go also for driving the INDO's myself but I guess I better get them up and running before I start anticipating what's going to drive them[:^)]

Take care and good luck with getting that hum out[:D]

In my opinion that is a great deal. Heck I paid a lot more than that for mine. It had endcaps but looked about the same otherwise. I wish I could find that darn place that was selling endcaps. They had Marantz glass replica's among other things. I'm still looking.

If you can disassemble the glass and he metal faceplate, I can make those look a lot better(it's a hobby, no charge). PM me if you get to that point.

Scott,

Just spoke to Todd (Cueman) he is sending the C-11 here (thanks to everyone for mentioning me). When it gets here I'll remove the face plate/dial glass and send it your way.

Your stuff is heading to the bench yet this week by the way.

Craig

Scott,

Just spoke to Todd (Cueman) he is sending the C-11 here (thanks to everyone for mentioning me). When it gets here I'll remove the face plate/dial glass and send it your way.

Your stuff is heading to the bench yet this week by the way.

Craig

Craig,

Cool.... the bench, the promised land, the alter, the safe haven from hums, buzzes and muddy sounding amplifiers. Thanks man.