The Bass on the Heresy's

I am on the verge of purchasing a pair of Heresy 1's and I am quite a large fan of clean sounding bass out of speakers. Now I know that the Heresy are not ported and also have a smaller woofer compared to some of the other speakers on the Heritage line. If you have a pair of Heresy's or have heard some it would be greatly appreciated what your opinion is of this area of these speakers. Thanks a lot!

Hmmm...You know, I have three pairs of Heresys, and while compared the

15" woofer of my CW2's they do not have as much bass...I think they

thump for a 12" woofer ( In know I am going to get slammed for this) -

but really, I find the bass to be pretty well balanced.

If you put some music in that has a thumping bass line, you will hear it downstairs with the Heresy's, 1or 2.

Just my thought.

K

I am on the verge of purchasing a pair of Heresy 1's and I am quite a large fan of clean sounding bass out of speakers. Now I know that the Heresy are not ported and also have a smaller woofer compared to some of the other speakers on the Heritage line. If you have a pair of Heresy's or have heard some it would be greatly appreciated what your opinion is of this area of these speakers. Thanks a lot!

I had a set during the late 90's and was not happy with the lower mib-bass until I made some serious mods to the speakers. 18db xover using metal film caps, large air inductor coils, and I installed a second woofer on the back out of phase with the front mounted ones in a push-pull fashion.

The bass area was handed over to a sub-woofer.

I have 2 pair of Heresys (not IIs)...I don't find them really lacking for bass but if bass is real important to you, you may be disappointed...compairing to my Klipschorns, they are bass lacking (DUH!)...compared to my Quartets, a bit less bass than the Quarts...to the RB-5s...hmmm, more bass in the RB-5s but a different sounding bass to me (ported)...sorry but I bet this didn't help...if you like booming bass, the Heresys may disappoint...if you like good balanced bass with your music, I think you will enjoy them...especially with todays CDs that may have more bass built in...also if they are on the floor they will have a bit more bass than up higher and off the floor.

Bill

I own both I's and II's and I can't tell any difference in sound... if you are really into the low bass thing then you will need a sub to compliment the Heresy (only down to about 50hz)...it is one of the greatest speakers ever made and makes for a whup-*** home theater setup for fronts and rears!...I currently use these for mine...my stereo setup is McIntosh and Cornwalls...did I just say I like Klipsch speakers?....

I have 2 pair of Heresys (not IIs)...I don't find them really lacking for bass but if bass is real important to you, you may be disappointed...compairing to my Klipschorns, they are bass lacking (DUH!)...compared to my Quartets, a bit less bass than the Quarts...to the RB-5s...hmmm, more bass in the RB-5s but a different sounding bass to me (ported)...sorry but I bet this didn't help...if you like booming bass, the Heresys may disappoint...if you like good balanced bass with your music, I think you will enjoy them...especially with todays CDs that may have more bass built in...also if they are on the floor they will have a bit more bass than up higher and off the floor.

Bill

I borrowed a pair of RB-5's and was well satisfied with the bass response and low end on those. I guess I mean that I am not looking for a big boomy bass like you hear in these ricers bouncing down the street but a well-balanced bass that is more tight and refined but noticeable. I am really into warm sounding speakers and love hearty low ends so I take it from some of the other posts that these are balanced. Will a sub really make that much more of a difference in the warmth of the sound?

If well integrated into the system, you won't notice the sub is there until you turn it off -- then you notice it's gone.

Love my HIIs. Depends on the music and the volume you listen. I find the mids on the originals to be more forward than the HIIs. The HIIs seem smoother or better balanced to me. There is a pair of each in the house (the originals aren't listed in my sig as they belong to number one son). Keep in mind that the mid driver in the original Heresy is the same as the Khorn, LaScala, Belle from the same era.

Bruce

Ultimately it's going to depend on the music to which you listen. But one thing is for certain - Klipsch went for more efficiency than low end extension with the heresy.

As far as subs are concerned - I think you would notice quite an improvement moving to a comparable stereo subwoofer setup...the problem is this will cost a pretty penny as the efficient heritage line is hard to keep up with. So you might as well keep things simple and go with a better pair of mains...like cornwalls, chorus, forte, etc etc...

I heard a pair of Chorus's the other day and loved the sound of them. They were very rich and full. Now, I have never heard a pair of Heresy's. I have heard the cornwalls and even the cornerhorns and I understand that those are pretty powerful in the low range. I like a lot of jazz (I love Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley) as well as some Brasil 66 type stuff so if I am listening to that type of music on the heresys will I be able to notice the low-end as well as or similar to let's say, the Chorus which I understand to be the closest things to the Heresy's on the heritage line (i may be wrong). Those speaker's are my point of reference for that type of music.

there was a pair of Cornwalls for sale in Aurora, Il...on this forum...(spaaz's brother, I.T.Guy, I think is his handle)...I think the Chorus is closer to the Cornwall while the Forte' is closer to the Heresy...althought I think the Quartet is right on the Heresy with a bit more bass despite its smaller woof...size wise it is as well...good luck.

Bill

I find the Bass lacking without a sub, but let me say this, I believe that ran with the right tubes ,Bass would not be a problem. I base my comments on running mine with an SS receiver, but when I hear other speakers driven by tubes, you know the difference. I can't answer about tubes, but I can about SS, you need a sub with Heresy's. Other than the Bass response, they are great speakers, right size(for the wife!), Sound good at low volume, will crank if pushed, Hard to believe how small they are until you turn them up.........not small, good all around speaker.

Don't know what the difference between Indust. Heresy's (which are ported) and the Std. version, but I find them to be more than adequate for the bottom end. I've got mine hooked up to an old luxman SS system, and they fill my garage/workshop with beautiful sound. Plenty of bass comming from my Indust. H's FOR SURE!

I love my Heresy's, and even though they don't reach down as low as my Cornwalls, they are definitely a worthy consideration, and can be had for about $700 less (on avg.) than the CW's.

I find the Bass lacking without a sub, but let me say this, I believe that ran with the right tubes ,Bass would not be a problem. I base my comments on running mine with an SS receiver, but when I hear other speakers driven by tubes, you know the difference. I can't answer about tubes, but I can about SS, you need a sub with Heresy's. Other than the Bass response, they are great speakers, right size(for the wife!), Sound good at low volume, will crank if pushed, Hard to believe how small they are until you turn them up.........not small, good all around speaker.

Sounds like you are saying that if you use Hersey's with SS equipment you will need a sub, whereas if you use Hersey's with tube equipment you will not need a sub. Is this the general view?

Sounds like you are saying that if you use Hersey's with SS equipment you will need a sub, whereas if you use Hersey's with tube equipment you will not need a sub. Is this the general view?

I was gonna say that the general consesus is more along the lines that tubes have much less bass - and poorer quality at the same time. But tubes tend to be smoother in the midrange (I suppose someone could associate less harsh with more bass).

I was gonna say that the general consesus is more along the lines that tubes have much less bass - and poorer quality at the same time. But tubes tend to be smoother in the midrange (I suppose someone could associate less harsh with more bass).

just checking since during the 70's I had some tube equipment and repaired a lot of tube equipment and found that they were chopped off on both ends.

doing my homework on todays tube technology I often find references to higher models offered by companies with improvements or enhancements to entry and mid range models that have to do with the effect the output transformer has on rolling off the high end or the low end.

It is common to see solid state device being rated at 10hz to 50khz +-1db, high dampening factors, low signal to noise ratios,and low distortion and less common to see tube devices with wide bandwidth specs.

so I found the sub woofer association to being needed with solid state equipment but not with tubes a point of intrest.

Perhaps to some, the output transformers in tube systems makes the bass area sound more punchy, even though it is cutoff.

hmmmm.... interesting observation.

My brother-in-law was listening with me to a setup with Heresy's and a

Fisher 500-B receiver. It did sound fabulous. In our conversation, I

was telling him about how I had Khorns set up, which he had not heard,

but observed from listening to the Heresy's... "I can't imagine what

I'd be missing in sound, right now."

In my experience with Heresy's, set up with a receiver such as the

Fisher, or HK430, the helpful issue was not tubes, I think, but the

ability to use the "Loudness" contour on old gear. This makes the

Heresy sound much better, to my ears, (on some recordings) at the moderate volumes I prefer.

I have been looking at another model in the Rogue lineup, but this has pretty wide bandwidth for a tube amp. Of course, it has the price to match ($2195).

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_90.htm

Specifications:
- output power: 90 WPC minimum

- input impedance: 200K Ohms
- frequency response: 5Hz - 50KHz ± 1dB
- THD: <0.1% typ., <1.0% at rated power
- input sensitivity: 1.0V RMS
- dimensions: 18"W x 15¾"D x 7"H
- weight: 60 lbs.
- power requirements: 115/230V - 50 - 60Hz