Relay Rack mounting for audio gear?

DRBILL

I have run out of room putting my audio gear in/on furniture. I wondered if anyone had used relay racks for this purpose. Back in the '30's, my dad had his ham gear mounted this way and it looked professional and good. Everything was accessible, front and back and got rid of the jumble of cords.

Your suggestions and experience will be appreciated.

DRBILL

I'm not sure what a "relay rack" is, but it's probably thy typical rack

that I'm thinking of. You can do some crazy stuff with racks and is

definetly my preferred method of installation. What kind of budget are

you looking at?

I still have some Heathkit separates from the 70's that were designed for rack mounting with standard panel sizes and mounting flanges/handles. Todays equipment would require shelves mounted in the racks, but those are still available or you could build your own shelves.

I don't have any racks anymore (too many moves) but I also have several Ham Radio amplifiers that are rack mountable.

Check your local surplus outlet, and go for it. It will probably require a paint job though.

For starters, take a look on e-bay, key word, "relay rack". They have all breeds of racks and shelves, adaptors, etc. Take a look and see if there is one that is a standout from your experience. I don't mind used, scruffy, because I have the gear to make it look OK.

Thanks!

DRBILL

Hello Doc-

Relay racks come in many variations. What I used to call relay racks were attached via bolts to floor and rafters and looked like they would be the only thing standing after the earthquake.

However, there are free standing versions called 'server' racks (used in our modern computer rooms) that perform the same function and also come with cable channels if you want to get real fancy. I would check with a couple of sources in your area - EDS used to have a used equipment warehouse in the Dallas area and there is a company called EPS that may have an associated seller in your area. Both would be open to us commoners and may have some good options.

I recommend used - you can repair cosmetic issues to match your decor. Also. these babies can run as high as $1,000 (plus) new. I picked up some nice 19" , removable sides units at EPS for $200 each several months ago.

Good luck.

Ah, google is a wonderful thing...it's just what I was thinking too.

Middle Atlantlic is pretty much the name brand for audio specific

applications, but I can't see any reason why any standard 19" rack

wouldn't work...at least it all looks the same.

Your cheapest option is probably to make rackmount cabinets yourself. Here are some links you might find interesting:

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/rackcase.html

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

And then partsexpress has some really good pre-built options as well as shelves and spacers and whatnot here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=27&wt.svl=2

Just scroll down and look for the "Rack" heading in bold on the right.

Middle Atlantic has some VERY cool in-wall options, but they are very

pricey:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=46&ObjectGroup_ID=335&filter=in-wall

The most important thing to remember is to have some way to gain access

to the rear. It's a pain in the butt to try and connect things before

they're mounted (though it is definetly possible).

One of our many legacies from Bell Labs and Western Electric is the 19 inch on center relay rack. It was devised in the 20s (I think) for holding amplifiers at relay stations for the phone company, which then was Ma Bell to almost all of the U.S. It has become the de facto standard, and may be an EIA or NAB standard by now too. Need I mention that it should be configured with the heaviest items (usually power supplies and power amps) at the bottom for stability? I only mention this because I saw someone remove racked equipment from the ground up and was then very startled when it fell over on him, fortuanatly nothing was energized.

WOW! I can tell that this is going to be big. Somehow, I am remembering the old grad school mantra, "Narrow your subject," and "More study is needed."

Many thanks for your input. It is going to be very helpful. I'll report back to you.

LET RESEARCH BEGIN!

DRBILL

The phone companies are constantly removing and replacing old racks and if you stand outside the door while they are doing this you can drag a couple of them away into your SUV for free. They also remove solid oak step ladders with wheels, solid oak stools, flouescent light fixtures, etc. You don't want to know what those ladders cost.

JJK

The phone companies are constantly removing

and replacing old racks and if you stand outside the door while they

are doing this you can drag a couple of them away into your SUV for

free. They also remove solid oak step ladders with wheels, solid oak

stools, flouescent light fixtures, etc. You don't want to know what

those ladders cost.

JJK

Interesting...how does one learn about such things happening? I'd love to pick up a few free racks.

Dr. B,

I had a freestanding rack that I mounted equipment in for a while, but finally made a box out of 3/4 birch ply, and mounted rack rails. I have been looking for a pic to post, but must have deleted the one I had. The individual rails are cheap, and you can get rack shelves from Middla Atlantic rather inexpensively, for those items that don't havemouting flanges on them.

Of course, it need not be a box. You could do some artsy side pieces that tapered up, and still mount the rails on them. This way it would be more open, and allow for better ventilation.

Barbara liked the look of the wood a lot better than the open rack.

The other common idea is to cut a bunch of shelves from ply and use threaded rod on each corner, adjusting the height with nuts on each rod. The flexy rack is simple to build, even if a pain to adjust all the nuts.

Bruce