1972- good Khorn year?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gang, my bestest buddy in the whole wide world IndyKlipschFan, came over today with the goodies to get my Khorns installed. Large Gripper foam pads to cover the domes of silence and protect the wood floor and pipe insulation were installed prior to scooting these monsters into position.

I checked all connections, snugged up all the xover terminals, crimped AMP fittings on 16ga lamp cord and tightened the woofer doors (one was very loose) and all thumbscrews. Then we put them in positon. This is the left channel, which fits perfectly into the corner behind my desk in the consultation area.

post-10755-1381930166381_thumb.jpg

In that last shot, that's a HK430 on top which provides more than adequate power. Sony CD player is on top. I hope to get a nice turntable (Thorens) for this room one day, and might eventually wire these to my main electronics stack in the Hearth room which is back to back with the gallery.

Here's the Left speaker which is opposite on the long wall of 21 1/2 feet. Indy says that Khorns like a room 18-22 feet wide so I'm right in there. Notice how well the Walnut, Oiled cabinets go with my Brazilian Cherry floors. This is a very bright room with 1" plaster walls and ceiling and the 3/4 Cherry floors. No window coverings at this point in time either.

This Khorn is in a less than optimum, being along an outside corner that has baseboard radient heat on both sides. I think I'll try the solid foam fix at first, but possibly might build new grille boards with larger cutouts for the heaters eventually.

post-10755-1381930166415_thumb.jpg

This show shows the width of the room. I'm standing at approximately the postion of one of my chairs. At 10 1/2 feet from the front wall and exactly midway between the speakers, it's EXACTLY in the sweet spot, with a back wall about 4 1/2 feet behind. Perfect!

post-10755-1381930166455_thumb.jpg

One last shot for today showing the splendid wood grain and nearly unblemished finish on these 1972's. I cheated a bit and just oiled them down with Old English clear. It was soaked up like the veneer was a wick. The previous owner passed away 7 years ago and these might not have been oiled at all during that time. I know they sat in a storage unit for several of those years.

WIsh I could have purchased the McIntosh Amps that the original owner used with them. Maybe someday.

post-10755-1381930166479_thumb.jpg

Oh and Indy, thanks for your call later this afternoon. I was glad that you stopped by to help me position the Khorns and pick some first listening music. I know we were in a hurry, but when you put DSOTM on, which I'd heard literally thousands of times, I felt the tears well up like they had in Hope last year when I first heard the Jubilees.

Isn't it amazing how music can move us emotionally? I feel very fortunate today that despite my colorful past lives, that I still have kept it together enough to assemble the music machinery I have today. There is just something magical about listening to my favorite music through a set of fabulous speakers that is thrilling beyond words.

I'm glad Roger had to leave when he did. I was getting seriously choked up, no matter what tunes were playing. My CW's or LS's have never had this effect on me. I can't come close to describing it right now.

Michael

Ditto to Christy's claim[;)]

They have a beautiful finish and grain you lucky dog[:P]

So tell me, have you had a chance to play any of Mr. Hughes through them and gosh I wish I had a 430 or 730 twin to push my LS's with[:(]

Don't worry Michael even us big guys get choked up now and then and can use a big[{]

That is a very good looking room for your newest setup and if I'm ever in your neck O'The woods I'm lookin' ya up[:D]

I think if one is not going to have a Klipsch MAC tube setup that Klipsch HK SS is a real close secind buddy[:o]

Enjoy the heck out of them as I know you will[pi]

You know at the gathering I turned around and told Christy and Dtel (after Mark K.) gave us the demo of the new CornIII's in the best walnut finish I have ever laid eyes on that you should sell about half your arsenal and buy yourself a brand new pair of these babies

Michael.. as your facing the speakers in your chair by the window... .. left is left, right is right.. please switch em.. Things will sound strange on some tunes trust me if you do not.. (maybe it was a typo.. how you described it was opposite how it is..)

Guys, they do sound wonderful.. Could not have happened to a nicer guy, really. I am very proud and excited he has these as well.

Indy

I still have kept it together enough to assemble the music machinery I have today. There is just something magical about listening to my favorite music through a set of fabulous speakers that is thrilling beyond words.

Michael

WOW ....!!!!!!!!!

that's something, comin' from a guy with all the " boxes" You have, Colt ......[:D]

This is a 1973 if that makes you feel any better.

looks like a recent one of two I saw recently on ebay. one was a khorn, the other a patrician IV bass bin. the photo looks like the picture of the pareician IV bass bin.