False corners for Khorns

jpm

Why bother? Why not just screw on some nice backs like the new 'limited' ones and place as close to a corner as possible? Wouldn't that accomplish the same sound/effect as false corners?

No. The K Horn is designed to a certain length and expansion rate. Just screwing wood on teh sides does nto complete the horn as designed. There is an old post where Trey (I think) stated that if this is done the horn drops off rapidly from a relativley high point (like 100+ hz).

I researched this quite a bit before building my old false corners (that Fed Ex mangled!!).

Chris

Don't let proper corners stop you from getting Khorns. I did not have proper corners when I first got my Khorns. I played them with a Subwoofer for about 1 year, while I was building a room with proper corners.

I did not notice a 'stunning' improvement when I moved them into the corners. I think too much is made about corners. A large room is more important IMHO than proper corners. The Khorns without corners were a large step up from my Belles.

It looks like you are getting some conflicting advice.

My opinion:

1) false corners do make a big improvement (over the no corner condition)

2) a false corner is not too difficult to construct

3) a false corner need not look ugly - be creative & use some trim etc.

4) tacking plywood on the cabinet is a poor substitute

Good Luck,

-Tom

I'll add my 2¢ [:)]

It looks like you are getting some conflicting advice.

My opinion:

1) false corners do make a big improvement (over the no corner condition)

This is true only if your room is of decent size; false corners do not make up for a room that is too small.

2) a false corner is not too difficult to construct

Agree.

3) a false corner need not look ugly - be creative & use some trim etc.

Agree. If the search function is currently working you should be able to find some decent looking false corners.

4) tacking plywood on the cabinet is a poor substitute

If plywood is firmly attached to the bass bin it is better than no bass reinforcement at all.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Good luck!

Why bother?  Why not just screw on some nice backs like the new 'limited' ones and place as close to a corner as possible? Wouldn't that accomplish the same sound/effect as false corners?

an article in the dope from hope series specifies false corners of upto 4ft wide per side.

I am surprised to hear anyone say that proper corners don't make much of a differance. That was not my experience. Shortly after getting my Khorns I set them up temporarily in a room without usable corners, and they sounded terrible. So much so, that I thought something was wrong with them. They could not come close to the bass on my Belles. A year later I moved them to a room that is now my home theater, and although it does not have good corners due to windows, I have constructed some false corners based on the "Dope from Hope" and they sound amazing. The bass produced is simply amazing. I do use a subwoofer, but only while watching movies. Another advantage to using false corners is that I can angle the speaker to aim at my sweet spot seating position.

I will try to attach a picture of my corners. You can see the whole setup in my web site.

post-10337-13819300736604_thumb.jpg