Colter goes digital

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little digital art on this one. There were several beer kegs lower right that I cloned out, and some telephone poles were removed. It rained as soon as we moved from the poolside cocktail hour into the tent for dinner and dancing. This rainbow appeared shortly afterwards- I grabbed the Bride and Groom and hustled them out in the light rain for a couple of quick shots.

post-10755-13819300822006_thumb.jpg

Here's one with existing light, no flash, no photoshop. The lens- my hefty 85mm f1.8 for very shallow depth of field. There is no way to control the direction/quality of light and this extreme depth of field in Photoshop. It must be captured in the camera this way using old school techniques and top quality equipment.

Oh, and it pays to have the right lens on and being in the right place at the right time.

post-10755-13819300822946_thumb.jpg

Again- anticipating the action and having the right angle on the subjects was critical here. I snuck through the crowd to take up position during this solemn moment of prayer without disturbing anyone.

I call this 'Stealth Ninja Photography'. Soon you will be able to walk on the rice paper without breaking it, young grasshopper.

post-10755-13819300823266_thumb.jpg

Thought you guys would get a kick out of this. Just being in the right place at right time. 800iso, zoom lens, white balanced- READY for action! She did this like three times, so I was watching her out of the corner of my eye- hands to boobs *click* GOT IT!

post-10755-13819300823616_thumb.jpg

Very nice work, Michael. Reminds me of the few weddings I shot back in the '80s with my trusty Olympus OM-1n, OM-3, and OM-4t 35mm outfit, although there was no such thing as Photoshop back then to remove empty kegs and cups in the pics. Thank goodness for digital photography!

A little digital art on this one. There were several beer kegs lower right that I cloned out, and some telephone poles were removed. It rained as soon as we moved from the poolside cocktail hour into the tent for dinner and dancing. This rainbow appeared shortly afterwards- I grabbed the Bride and Groom and hustled them out in the light rain for a couple of quick shots.

Nice work

There is nothing like shallow depth of field. Here's the 85mm 1.4 again. One problem with digital is that not only is there more items in focus due to the small target within the camera, but inexpensive zooms frequently only open up to 3.5 or 5.6- which is a tremendous depth of field. Narrowing it gives us a more intense experience with the subject.

post-10755-1381930082632_thumb.jpg

oh man colter... from the depth of field I see you like your expensive camera lenses!!! I think you have some very nice 1.4 to 2.8 f stops with you that probably cost as much as some cornwalls. Also on the first photo, was the contrast and brightness applied, it was probably an impossible shot without a tripod?

oh man colter... from the depth of field I see you like your expensive camera lenses!!! I think you have some very nice 1.4 to 2.8 f stops with you that probably cost as much as some cornwalls. Also on the first photo, was the contrast and brightness applied, it was probably an impossible shot without a tripod?

handheld baby! I'm a fricken ROCK!

Remember in the pitch darkness, the flash freezes any subject motion or camera shake of the near field subjects, I was seated with my elbows in and breath exhaled to hold pretty steady for the 10 sec exposure that recorded the fireworks. A little shake makes it look more artsy.

The only digital work was to slightly darken the backs of the bride and groom because the flash was a bit much. The fireworks portion is completely unretouched. This is a single exposure image. No tripod.

taken your lorazapam i see [:P]

Ah that makes sense you used a flash, yes the flash was a bit too much and I thought you enhanced the photo using photoshop and highly brightening and contrasting. It looked a bit grainy but what I remember the digital gets a bit grainy on low light long exposure compared to film. I worked with the hasselblad for extra long shutter exposure (greater than 20 minutes) just of my neighborhood and I got some crazy colorful picture! I wish I had a scanner.....

edit:

I just messed around with that photo and man oh man is that white tuxedo really annoying me........ I think you did the right thing colter. Also you have a pm