Won Heresies (Industrial)

They look industrial, have the metal grille behind motor board and metal jack plate with fuse. But they do not have port, (I know there was HI as well as HIP), no handle, no heavy duty woofer, no special crossover.

So are these 'industrial' H's or not?????

Michael

post-10755-1381930117669_thumb.jpg

They look industrial, have the metal grille behind motor board and metal jack plate with fuse. But they do not have port, (I know there was HI as well as HIP), no handle, no heavy duty woofer, no special crossover.

So are these 'industrial' H's or not?????

Michael

BOY, that pledge lasted all of 6 hours.......................told Ya!!!!..........Didn't you just get Khorns too??????

The HIPs of my son-in-law Riley have the slotted port, top handle, and metal back plate (identified as HIP by the Klipsch-Krew).

P6160001.jpg

Yours then are the Heritage Industrial (HI)? At least when those are shipped from San Antonio, you don't have to worry about the corners getting crushed!

Mike,

When you get these, take pics of the XO. The XOs in Riley's HIPs are cap-less (resistors only).

There HAS to be caps in there. On the HIP's they are different with steeper slope for tweeter and zener protection circuit (according to the literature I have here).

What makes you think it's resistors only? Can you post photo?

These are basically heavy duty decorators, the only think 'industrial' about them is the jack plate and metal grille.

Steve sez they are probably HDBB, that they started life as birch, black painted.

At least the gf gave it the old college try instead of chucking them for white cubes!

M

Bill (Silversport) sent me a link to those last night but they looked too tired and beat for me, so I passed even at the $350 BIN price. The woofers look sun faded and tired too. I thought about getting them and using them in my basement but I have Belle's to sell yet and I just bought a $600 amplifier for my car and a $400 water slide for my little girl so I am tapped out right now.

Yes, Klipsch did make them sealed as well. These are the HI's and not the HIP's.

Hope all the drivers work, they should have the huge K-42 woofers in them.

Colter's Klipsch Army continues to grow!

As far as I can tell, pmsummer is right (but I'm certainly no electrical engineer). I will try to take a pic and post it when I get home. From my limited experience, they do seem to have a pretty good bottom end - which may be a result of the unusual XOs. The set has been in my family since they were purchased in the early 80s and none of the owners have modified them (except for the paint).

I think the fronts look cool if that how they look in the pic. Sort of antiqued.

Please someone before I die, let me see a creative finish on old speakers? :)

I think I'll whip em with chains and take a blow torch to 'em. Kinda like we used to 'antique' stuff back in 7th grade woodshop class!

Then I'll make me up a rifle rack for my pickup truck!

M

Mke,

Rileykill's HIPs are from the early '80s. When I opened them and saw

what I thought were resistors glued to the board, I just closed 'em

back up. I'm eager to see what crossover's in your new HIs.

Thanks for hashing that out, guys ;)

The pics posted by pmsummer are the correct boards for my HIPs. Like I said, I know all of the previous owners and there is no way any of them did mods. Definitely not what I expected to see, though. An interesting little set for sure. They were bought between 80 and 82.

Give us a full report when you open yours up, Mike!

This is direct from a Klipsch product brochure on the Heresy Industrial Series.

Type HI/HIP - 'tweeter protection is afforded by zener diodes in the corssover network. Additional protection for the HI units is proficed by a 2.5 ampere fast blow fuse."

also this Crossover - HI/HIP

Type AA-H with crossover frequencies of 700 and 6000 Hz. ....Tweeter 18 db/octave rolloff below 6000 with zener diode protection.

The HI/HIP units are provided witha a recessed connector-fuse panel containing 'double banana' 5 way binding posts.

Type H.. contains K22 woofer and standard type E network.