Am I the only one?

The only one that caught a comment by Trey in the Magnet assembly room at the Hope factory during the tour. The comment that magnets change their pull over time and that changes the ohm/load the crossover see's. With all the talk about crossover rebuilds, what's the point if the magnet has changed. I don't know enough about ohms, and crossovers, and magnets to carry on an intelligent conversation but thought some here might. Could be I don't know enough about what I thought I heard in the first place but knew it would get cleared up or beat to death here. Batter up.

Steve,

I don't think I tracked that discussion as well as you did.

My take on what Trey said was that the old Alinco magnets lose their magnetism fairly quickly relative to the later magnets. I think I was hearing him say that except for Alinco, there wasn't much to worry about.

Sorry, I'm no help on anything technical.

I heard that discussion (or the same discussion with different group). I asked him about remagnetizing a driver and he essentially poo-pooed the idea.

He said how could they know which way it was zapped the first time. if they put it in the box wrong, they'd kill the magnet and "it wouldn't stick to a refrigerator". Upshot seems to be you can only replace them with newer, rather than fix a dying one.

I don't know anything about that stuff either, but I WOULD wonder... if you can kill the magnet by putting it in the machine the wrong way, you'd then have a dead piece of metal right? If it's now dead, couldn't you RE-shoot it with the machine and realign it so it'd be a new magnet?

Was an interesting tool in there. I always wondered how they magnetized magnets when I'd heard about it.

I heard that discussion (or the same discussion with different group). I asked him about remagnetizing a driver and he essentially poo-pooed the idea.

He said how could they know which way it was zapped the first time. if they put it in the box wrong, they'd kill the magnet and "it wouldn't stick to a refrigerator". Upshot seems to be you can only replace them with newer, rather than fix a dying one.

I don't know anything about that stuff either, but I WOULD wonder... if you can kill the magnet by putting it in the machine the wrong way, you'd then have a dead piece of metal right? If it's now dead, couldn't you RE-shoot it with the machine and realign it so it'd be a new magnet?

Was an interesting tool in there. I always wondered how they magnetized magnets when I'd heard about it.

Coytee,

What you said is exactly what I heard. Interesting that GPA offers a service to re-magnetize the old Altec alnico mags. They seem to know how to put it in the machine the right way. If it can't be done, then why would they offer to do it?

Surely a few DIY/Mod guys wouldn't intimidate Klipsch so much that they would change their policy as to selling raw drivers to individuals. To make a statement like that about recharging old magnets!! If GPA can do it, Klipsch can. ??? As I understand it, one must submit a S/N (to prove that it is a replacement) in order to buy a driver from them.

It is very easy to "recharge" most magnets to their original values, given the right equipment. It's about the same as changing a flat tire, which most people can manage.

As far as trying to account for a loss in the gaussian field, it is akin to adding a couple feet to your speaker cable runs every year. Why worry? As Mom said, worry about the things with which you have control. Leave the others to God.