La Scala's

mpgwagon

After all I've read on the Klipsch board I'll be picking up my La Scala's at 9:00 am tomorrow. Are they relly gonna be that much better than my KG's? I can't wait to see!

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch SF1 Fronts

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Audio Room:

Technics SA 404 Receiver

KG 3.5's

KSW 12 Sub

be ready for a let down.

when I was a college kid in the 70s I worked for a hifi retailer in Cambridge, MA. it was the biggest Klipsch/McIntosh dealer in the area. LaScalas routinely came back in "trade-up" deals, usually for a pair of big JBLs or even Klipschorns. customers weren't pleased with them. at one time we had so many returns that we had more than one "tent" sale to move them (what deals we gve back then!!) it is no mystery why LaScalas are everywhere on ebay, and in the audio classifieds. the reason people bought them had less to do with what they sounded like and more to do with owning something made by PWK. most people didn't even audition them. they came in, wrote a check and picked up the speakers. a purchase based on emotion.

the Lascala as a folded bass horn is inadequate. the mouth is tiny. the folding is classic PA, highly compromised. worse than that, the thing is sensitive as hell above about 80Hz so to couple it to a subwoofer creates too many problems. what you really are listening to is a mid-range dominant loudspeaker system that, at moderately high volume levels produces prodigious amounts of 2cd order harmonic distortion.

the LaScala has established a prominent place in audio,

unfortunately it is in the ceiling-to-wall corners of

your local disco, sports bar or train station.

Hey John...tell us how you really feel! Smile.gif I know there are a number of people on this board who love their La Scala's and you might get a different opinion from them. I listened to a pair in Germany around 1979 in a PX showroom and I remember I was blown away by them. John's right about the lows, however. You will need a musical sub that can keep up with them. You might want to ask other La Scala owners what they are using...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Hmmmm....John, since the Belle is essentially the same as the La Scala (or is it?), is it your contention that that unit is also 'disappointing'? Working in the store, did you also experience multiple returns of these? I ask because I was thinking of using possibly a pair of La's for my rear surrounds. Never heard one in person so I would fit into the 'emotional buyer' catagory. But I do have a modified Belle as a center and am rather, if not extremely pleased with it's operation and musical qualities. Initially I was leaning towards Forte I's for surrounds, but always felt if La Scalas or Corns come along for the right price, I would jump on either of those.

------------------

Ed

MPG,

I feel I'm in somewhat of a unique position to respond to you since I own both KG's (3.5's) and LaScalas.

Unfortunately I find myself in agreement with John Warren on most of the LaScala issues. The midrange squaker of the LaScala is tremendous yet often over powering. I find myself using the EQ to drop down the mid frequencies and pump up the lows and highs. I'm certainly not trying to trash the LaScalas they strike me as very clear and accurate. I first heard LaScalas about twenty years ago and I had never heard speakers that could play that LOUD without distorting...I still haven't! But loud certainly isn't everything.

I really like my KG-3.5's! Yes...I know these aren't even top of the line KG's ...but they sound great to me even though they might tend to be alittle less accurate. The KG's will play higher and lower frequencies than the LaScalas which will become obvious if you listen to much modern music with computer generated LOW bass and lots of hi-hats and cymbals. My KG's will not handle the same amount of power that my LaScalas will...but in my approx 19' x 17' room the KG will handle more than I am capable of listening to at a sustained volume.

I have all my Klipsch speakers in the same room but hooked up to two different systems...The KG's are used in my home theater set-up and the LaScalas in a 2 ch. set-up. I tend to listen to Rock and other modern music with the KG's and I like classical and jazz on the LaScalas...I do LIKE both sets of speakers...they each have their strengths and weaknesses...beautiful sound is in the ears of the beholder.

Good Luck

Dave

How happy you'll be with the La Scalas depends a lot on what you're looking for when you're listening to music.

I have KG4 (circa 1985, original series), Epic CF4 (yes, Mike, I'm still vassilating over selling them, sorry I yanked your chain like that), and La Scalas. I like all of them, but I like the La Scalas the most, and by quite a large margin. I think this is because to me, the most important characteristic of my system is lifelike dynamics. I think the CF4 are much less colored than the La Scalas, and even the little KG4 have deeper bass than the La Scalas (well, actually, ANYTHING has deeper bass than a La Scala), but the La Scalas can fool me into believing that I'm listening to live music better than any other speakers I've ever owned. Sometimes it may sound like a live band that's a little bit out of tune - they are rather colored speakers - but I'd rather listen to Clapton live in my room playing a slightly out of key guitar than a recording of him any day.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray,

That's OK...if I'm not mistaken they were Black and I was hesitant about that color with my Medium Oak furniture and CF-2's. Because of their lack of availability, I decided to go another route. I sold my CF-2's to my sister and am now using a pair of Chorus II's (Oiled Oak) up front and a pair of Chorus I's in the rear (Finished Black) that I found locally. I really like the Chorus's over my CF-2's. Much better dynamics and bass response, and I only had to give up a little soundstage to get it. Of course this is just my opinion. If I was gonna get the CF-4's, I would have definitely went after yours (cigarettes and all). Smile.gif

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Well, I got them. WOW! Much more accurate then the KG's

My only complaint is they are too heavy. I'm hearing things I haven't heard before. Serial numbers show they are from 1974. The cabinets are very nice with only minor "Battle Scars". I paid $650 for the pair, is that a good price??

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch SF1 Fronts

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Audio Room:

Technics SA 404 Receiver

Klipsch 1974 La Scala's

KSW 12 Sub

Yes!!!!!!! (envy envy envy...)

I specifically wanted a pair of La Scalas that were old enough to have the Alnico magnets, and found a pair of 1974 located a short drive away.

Mine are "finished" in black paint over the plywood, and have numerous chips and dings on the edges where part of the plywood laminate chipped off over the years. (I'll post some pictures someday...)

I paid over $700 for mine.

Have you had the chance to mess around with the KSW 12 in conjunction with the La Scalas? If so, thoughts?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Yes, I have tried the KSW 12. In my opinion the Klipsch KSW subs don't get the credit they deserve. The KSW 12 is a good sub. Placement is tuff but when you do get it right it's a great sub. It Adds the Bass the La Scala's are missing and it seems to be plenty fast. Just place it correctly and get the crossover set (mines ser at about 60) and it works great.

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch SF1 Fronts

Klipsch KSW12 Sub.

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Audio Room:

Technics SA 404 Receiver

Klipsch 1974 La Scala's

KSW 12 Sub

I have the pleasure of owning a pair of '77 "industrial" LaScalas with ALK crossovers and a pair of '88 KG4's. The KGs are placed about six feet apart on either side of the "entertainment center." The LaScalas are placed just outside the KGs and are tilted up about 12 degrees. True, the LaScalas are weak on the base, but when I run all four speakers, the additional base from the KGs fills in nicely. Right now I'm saving up for a Denon 28xx receiver and possibly a large Velodyne sub so I can give the KGs a rest. Except for their size, I have no complaints about the LaScalas. Regarding the LaScala sound quality, I'm in total agreement with Ray Garrison.

Happy listening!

Dave

This message has been edited by Dave in Nashville on 11-10-2001 at 09:59 PM

• 10 months later...

Try placing lascalas across from each other just for some fun in a good size room.Now go get a cd with some nice low end and nice highs.I don't under stand why so many people say,lascalas do not have much base,Must be the amps people are running,They have more base than I ever heard other than a pair of Tannoy westministers,Run your volume about 11 to 12 and these lascalas will rip your pants9.gif

t least I got some good tweets, some good mid-drivers and horns, some good AA networks, and a buddy of mine gave me a pair of K-33's...the LaScalas had freakin Peavey Black Widows in em!!! I haven't sold those Black widows yet, though...I may look into building a sub or two with them if they are conducive to it...dunno yet...haven't really gotten that far...still have enough irons in the fire right now to keep me busy for a few months!! LOL!

What happened to the first part of my last post???????? HMMMM!!

Well....I have AA networked LaScalas, but when I got em, I was surprised to find that some moron had cut holes in the sides of the bass bins to install Klipsch-style Industrial handles in them...the handles are supposed to be installed in the tweet/mid section of the cabinets, NOT the sides of the bass bin!!!! This little detail didn't show up on the pics the seller posted on eBay. The hassle of plugging up those awful holes, and all the other things that would be needed to get them ready for long-term use(lots of wear and tear on em...I mean LOTS!!!!!), plus the fact that I would have no choice but to paint them black, led me to decide to just build some oak-veneered cabinets for em. Cost me 500 bucks, and what I ended up with, basically, was two good tweets, two good AA networks, two good mid horns, and two good mid drivers...still decent for 500 bucks, I guess!!!

Sad thing is, what I thought was gonna be the best eBay deal I ever made(and it was my FIRST ONE!!!) turned out to be the worst, so far!!! Every other eBay deal has been fantastic, since the first one!!!

mpgwagon- The La Scala is a unique speaker which does have its limitations. But what it does do, which is a whole lot, it does VERY well. People tend to either like or dislike both the unique look and sound. Sonically they are an in-your-face, hard hitting speaker. Although not particularly deep, they will thump you in the chest with crisp tight bass. With the addition of a quality subwoofer, you will have no problems filling in the bottom end. The first Klipsch speaker I ever heard was the Chorus II, I thought it was kick @$$, until they hooked up the La Scalas and played Metalica's "Nothing Else Matters". The guitar picking made you feel like you were in the studio; the bass drums absolutely pounded my chest. I had never heard anything so impressive! Due to price and space limitations I went home with the Chorus IIs, a wonderful set of speakers, but they are NO match for a La Scala. A guy was going to sell me a set of his KG4s, I A-B'd them with my Chorus IIs, they couldn't compete. A couple years ago I bought a nice set of used La Scalas, piano black with grilles. When I look at them, I see an unusual, yet timeless design. They will never look dated. I also have a set of Belles, while visually pleasing; they look like an older design. From time to time, I like listening to LOUD music. The La Scala is about the only speaker that I could really crank without distortion. I am so glad that some people out there DON'T like them! It just means I can buy more of them! Their price on the used market has enabled me to complete my HT in all heritage. Two pair of La Scalas and a set of Belles. Now I just need my set of furry twin Ultras. 3.gif Enjoy them, if other people don't get it, so what. Its simply a matter of personal taste.

John does make a valid point !! Lascalas are not for everyone.I buy and referbish about 12 pairs a year and own a pair of my own as well as more.just look in my posting mount king k-horn.the market for lascalas has not changed very much.the reason there being bought is because they make a whole lot of noise with very little input. i have seen guy's drive them with anything that has speaker leads.

there not a top of the line sonic king but there big and cheap.most people i have bought from sell for the same reason, the speakers are to big and don't fit there decor.

don't knock them to hard they are a good loud speaker for the price.there just "not" BMW'S or WILSON AUDIO.lascalas are a great place to start and after you've spent a few years buying better components then you can upgrade.they will always make great speakers for the garage!!!!!