New Apartment, New Chapter in Life

meuge

Now I feel grown up.

On Wednesday is my 25th birthday... on Thursday and Friday I am taking the qualifying exam for the PhD candidate title/M.S. degree... and today is my first night in my new apartment in midtown manhattan.

Unfortunately not everything is well, as myself and my girlfriend of 5 years have split up. Now I have to re-learn how to live on my own... but I can't imagine a better environment to do it.

The entertainment wall:

front.jpg

... and for the grand effect, the view from my window this fine night:

view.jpg

Congrats on the new digs and Happy Birthday, Eugene.

My philosophy has always been to buy the gear you want - you can always get a bigger room.

Good luck on the exam. When I was your age, I'd just gotten out of the Air Force and was re-starting college. It's now been over 20 years since I got my JD and passed the Bar. Once you've cleared the hurdle, you wonder what the big deal was all about.

James

Thanks for the kind words everybody... while I may seem kinda casual about it, I am actually feeling quite heartbroken and awkward. As I am sure all of you know, when you are with someone for that long, and you're happy for the most part, it's hard not to see that person around.

But things happen. In any case, how about a daytime view:

dayview.jpg

Do you like the City,or are you there because you have to be? I'm sure you go down into the park, nice view.............

It's both. I like the city, but I do not like the rent prices. If I could, I'd probably live elsewhere and save my money. However, I am restricted to living here by my school and work: I simply cannot spare 2 hours a day for commuting. Plus, I do not like public transportation, and I'd have to take it, because keeping a car parked in the city costs $350+/month.

Sorry about the heart break, but let me get this straight; your a single Doctor (or soon to be one anyway) living in Manhattan with your own apartment? I am sorry but there is not a much better situation to meet very atttractive young open minded young attractive cool swinging ladies that I know about. Your sound as a pound. Nice Apartment too, especially for Manhattan. Enjoy, btw I expect you to start contributing to the Hot ladies thread, except I want pictures of your dates.

Is that Gramercy Park?

No, actually it's a little park between two very expensive apartment buildings (one of them seen on the left in the picture. They are located on the north and south of the block... there is a commercial strip which closes off the block on the west (which you can't see beyond the trees (the picture looks west)... and my building closes the square from the east.

The neighborhood is Murray Hill.

No matter what it is, you get to live in a beautiful little corner of the Greatest City in the World (imho). I visit NYC every year as part of a photo seminar I take on the Cape.

So now that you're single, can we come and crash on your floor from time to time? LOL

Michael

• Moderators

Happy birthday and good luck on your exams.

You are very fortunate to live in a "Big City" and still have a few of a park.

As far as the "girlfriend" thing goes, I refer you to "General Questions" Another dramatic life event. Your input in that thread would be most appreciated.[;)]

Congratulations on the great view. As one who lived in NYC for over 10 yrs., I know how valuable it is to come home to a great view in that crowded and (yes) dirty place!

Do you have the MD part yet, and is residency a next step?

Larry

No matter what it is, you get to live in a beautiful little corner of the Greatest City in the World (imho). I visit NYC every year as part of a photo seminar I take on the Cape.

So now that you're single, can we come and crash on your floor from time to time? LOL

Michael

colter are you going to goto the photo convention this year??? I am, it would be nice to finally meet you.

Also Meuge, that is a nice place, I believe my brother lives near there I forgot exactly where. The prices are crazy, how the heck did you find that place with a view for a college student!!! That must be 2000 a month atleast!

Also its probably a bit lonely, why not go enjoy the outsides. And if you want me to I can bring over a 12 pack [;)]

Jay I attend the New England School in late March. We always reward ourselves for the week in school by driving and stopping in NYC for 3 days or so of exploring the city. Museums, a walk in Central Park, photographing street scenes- its loads of fun, a little expensive though.