KLIPSCH AND BEER

BigStewMan

Am I the only one brave enough to post a pic of this threads subject material ?

Awwwwww......c'mon sunburn. Now you're just being a teasing b!tch. [;)]

Tom

Just so you know , when it comes to wine , I like to go BIG !!!

3 liter 1993 Kenwood Artist Series Cab . Sorry Tom , this was consumed 3 years ago and it was a BLOCKBUSTER !!!

post-18289-13819304238686_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1973 Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. (Google "Judgment of Paris"). I still have a bottle of this tucked away in my wine cellar (closet) - complete with its original $7.00 price tag!

My introduction to good CA wine was a 1962 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve. Been hooked ever since.

James

Hmm, I should invite you over for a BBQ...;^)

I'll give you $14 for it : )

I'd love to come over and guard your closet.....

No offense but those that think there are no "good beers" brewed in the US of A, don't know what the hell you're talking about!! Yes, German beers are great, and many of the Belgain ales are even better. Having said that there is a slew of Micro's in this country that'll knock your socks off.

Some of my favorites are from these brewery's.

I just recently found the dogfish beers, and have to tell you I'm quite impressed with all of them. Very complex flavors. Their 90 minute IPA packs 9% alcohol by volume and yet is quite smooth. Even the 60 minute IPA kicks it up a notch. IPA beers are quite hoppy (some will say bitter) but the malty sweetness in a good IPA will balance the beer out. Having said that if you're a liquid air (lite beer) drinker, ignore all the above. This beer isn't for girlie men.....

Check them out. You'll no doubt have to go to a specialty store as these are not always found at the local grocery. MAKE SURE you buy FRESH beer. If it's been sitting on the shelf for a few months, I'd let it continue to sit there. With a few exceptions beer does not age like wine. Time and sunlight are the enemy. So don't buy beer in clear or green bottles. Sunlight will destroy it and turn it skunky. I think the reason Corona got everyone putting lemon wedges in their beer was to hide the stink.

Lastly, if you can't find it MAKE it. Homebrew your own. No local supplier? Buy from these guys http://www.heartshomebrew.com/ they have fast shipping and are nice to deal with. If you can boil water you can make beer. You don't even have to mess with traditional bottling. I re-use 2 liter soda bottles (kept in the dark of course).

If I've offended any one, I'm sorry...but I challenge you to take the challenge of enjoying a good micro brewed beer or homebrew for that matter.

I think I'll go pour a cold one now. Cheers!

Rockets:

There are many decent beers brewed by independents in the US of A and I've tried many of them. We have quite a few local brewers. However, I've yet to taste anything that approaches the real thing that you get in Deutschland (or Belgium).

We simply do not have the brewing tradition - or the American taste is different - so the end result is different. In Germany, every little village has its own brewery - and often two or three. Under the Germany purity laws, most of what is produced in this country (Bud, Miller, etc.) could not even be called "beer." Beer is not made from corn.

Even the imports we get here are pale versions of the real thing. The only authentic tasting German beer I've ever been able to find in the US was a Dortmunder Kronen - and they stopped importing that about 15 years ago. I still miss it.

James

Gosser was my only taste.

My only trip to Germany and Austria was as a chaperone of a high school band. We agreed, appropriately, to abstain from alcohol during the trip. Therefore, I got no opportunity to sample the local brews, with the exception of Gosser in Leoben, Austria (Arnold S's hometown).

As a reward for helping to convert a local recreation hall to and from a band venue, our host, the local hotelier, offered each of us a glass of Gosser. So as not to insult our host, the band director issued a special one glass dispensation. The Gosser looked and tasted like beer, e.g., Bud, Miller, etc., so I guess more exposure to German beers might have been wasted on me.

James, when I first started homebrewing I was told the US used to have a brewery in practically every town and city before WW II. Many of these obviously were owned and run by immigrants who brought with them the knowledge and taste of their homelands. Think of how clannish the immigrants were, living together in their own tight nit enclaves within a city. During the war the breweries lost their major customers, the men, and toned down (de-hopped, and de-malted) their beers to cultivate a new customer base...the women. How true this is, I can't say for sure., but it seems to have a ring of truth to it. So if you want to blame our lack of tradition, blame the women!! (Oh, God what am I saying.....) Sorry ladies! (and girlie men)

I will agree the major beer companies beer could not pass the German purity laws, however the same can not be said about the micro brews. I also think the popularity of the micro's is slowly changing the taste of the beer drinkers in this county. While we don't have a local brewery in every subburb, the trend is growing with brew pubs all over the country.

Let's back up to 'beer' itself. There are different 'styles' of beer, and that's how they're judged. These styles reflect the entire spectrum of beers found through out the world. http://www.beerhunter.com/beerstyles.html What I'm saying is a micro brewed beer here in the states will match up against a German beer of the same 'style'. Lager, bock, dopplebock, Continental dark or Pilsners, (I left out the English and Belgian styles) will match up because they're made with the same basic ingredients, (with variations of the type of malt, hops and yeast) brewed at the same temperatures. The yeast used to brew the "import" beers is available today even to the homebrewer. http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm

So when you say you've enjoyed many a micro brewed beers but none of them were the same as their German counterparts, I'm thinking you may have been doing and apples to oranges thing with the styles, but I could be wrong.

I'm glad that you like GOOD beer. I wish there were more like you honestly. But to say there are none to be found, brewed here in the States just isn't true. Every year anybody that's somebody in the micro world goes here to be judged on 'style'. Styles that match all known through out the world. http://www.beertown.org/events/gabf/index.htm With the exception of some "specialty beers" ( like pumpkin, espresso etc), you will see the German purity laws enforced here. If you're really interested in the different styles and what micro's mimic them here in the US seach through this website which is quite extensive...

http://www.realbeer.com/

While you're at it check this place out

Sorry for the long post. James, I'm not trying to rub this in your face or anything so please don't take it as such. It's just as a homebrewer I get kinda of insulted when I hear those "fighting words" of there's no good beer here in the States!!! Almost like saying there isn't any "good" American made audio equipment!!

Go spend $50 on a homebrew kit...you'll be glad you did!!!

Ciao!