What cleaning solution to use on vinyl

I have been looking for a good used TT and 2 days ago score a Technics 1210 mkII in 9.5 condition with a Stanton 680hp cart and needle from a local pawn shop, got it home and playing in minutes. It's been 18 or so years since I've played my vinyl and I've forgotten how good it sounds. What I need now is a good cleaner, the lp's aren't very dirty but do need to be cleaned. The cleaners we use to have were the wooden block with felt pads and the solution and needle brush stored inside, don't know if this is the best way anymore as I have been out of the loop for quite some time. Opinions needed. As I type this I am listening to some older Ritchie Blackmore Rainbow. Nice.

Thanks, Jack.

Congratulations. There are a lot of threads in the forum about vinyl cleaning. The records vaccums from Nitty Gritty and VPI are wonderful for an intial cleaning. Search under either of those names to see discussions on them. For less expensive and quicker solutions, just search "cleaning vinyl" or similar. Lots of great information.

I'll probably get booed off the forum for sugesting this as an everyday proceedure before playing vinyl. Put the disk on the moving turntable and hold a Swiffer pad lightly against the surface. You can actually see the dust jumping off the surface.

DRBILL

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll try the 91% isopropyl alchol, distilled water, and a few drops of dawn. If I really shouldn't use this please let me know. Two days ago I put an old technics TT in the trash, after doing some reading about DIY vinyl cleaners I did some dumpster diving to retrieve it. I removed the tone arm assembly and points switch for the auto off and installed a toggle switch to manually operate the platter, I also still have the 33-45 speed option. I may consider putting and old vaccum motor in a box installed under the TT and modifying the crevice tool to remove the final drops of water and dust, I've seen this on the Internet. Let me know what you think.

Fini,

I've tried that method and at 40 gpm found it difficult to hold on to the album, I'm thinking once I mount my 5" bench vise on a portable table, I'll be able to clamp the album, put it in the yard, and give it a good scrub.[:D]

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll try the 91% isopropyl alchol, distilled water, and a few drops of dawn. If I really shouldn't use this please let me know. Two days ago I put an old technics TT in the trash, after doing some reading about DIY vinyl cleaners I did some dumpster diving to retrieve it. I removed the tone arm assembly and points switch for the auto off and installed a toggle switch to manually operate the platter, I also still have the 33-45 speed option. I may consider putting and old vaccum motor in a box installed under the TT and modifying the crevice tool to remove the final drops of water and dust, I've seen this on the Internet. Let me know what you think.

Fini,

I've tried that method and at 40 gpm found it difficult to hold on to the album, I'm thinking once I mount my 5" bench vise on a portable table, I'll be able to clamp the album, put it in the yard, and give it a good scrub.[:D]

That is almost the exact solution I make, except I add a few drops of bleach, too. I use the Orbitrax which is mechanically similar to the classic Discwasher except it locks one end to the spindle and is very easy to use - a dozen orbits wet, change pads, half a dozen dry.