OT: Attn. Formula 1 fans/NASCAR bashers

Tom Adams

Everything gives you cancer these days...they used to call it a natural cause of death.

The only thing that tops the thunder-ally at the Brickyard 400 is

probably top-fuel drag racing. It's boring as all heck to watch on TV,

but is fricken unreal in person.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm last comment but wasn't leaded fuel banned in regular cars due to high birth defects and other god knows what horrible things??? Sure everything gives you cancer but does that mean I can bathe in mercury? Or want to breathe in lead in one of the worst forms since its miniscule all the better to seep into my bronchi.

Nothing beats the sound of those F1 cars.

You like the sound of "whining"???

You can call it whining if you like. "A day without a sweet engine whine is like a day without sunshine." See my post in name that tune to discover that I don't really like whining.

Danica Patrick's father is exploring the possibility of the popular Indy Racing League driver moving to NASCAR as soon as next year, the Orlando Sentinel reported Monday.

Danica Patrick
The Sentinel reported that T.J. Patrick, who has managed Danica Patrick's career since childhood, was in exploratory talks with some NASCAR teams at Chicagoland Speedway on Sunday.

"I'm trying to get her here [into NASCAR]," T.J. Patrick told the Sentinel.

T.J. and Bev Patrick, who formerly lived in Roscoe, Ill., attended NASCAR's USG Sheetrock 400 because "we've had some inquiries" from NASCAR teams, T.J. Patrick told the newspaper.

The Sentinel reported the couple was in the Nextel Cup garage area as guests of Roush Racing, which fields drivers Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle and Jamie McMurray and runs Fords on the Nextel Cup circuit.

Danica Patrick's contract with Rahal-Letterman Racing team ends after this season and the Patricks are negotiating with other IRL teams as well as NASCAR teams, the Sentinel reported. The newspaper said team co-owner Bobby Rahal declined comment through a spokesman.

Patrick, who became IRL's most recognizable driver by leading part of the 2005 Indianapolis 500 and finishing fourth, has yet to enjoy similar success in 2006, as Rahal-Letterman has endured a frustrating season.

Rahal-Letterman, which enjoyed a power advantage by running Honda engines in 2005, lost that advantage when the entire league shifted to Hondas for 2006. It was the last team to use a Panoz chassis and struggled to adjust when it finally switched to a Dallara, used by every other team in IRL, after the Indy 500. And the team lost one of its drivers when Paul Dana was killed during practice before the IRL's season-opening race in Homestead, Fla.

I must say I am very surprised to see this news. My thought was that it is every race car drivers dream to get to F1. Because it requires the most skill, has the best technology, pays the most and is most challenging.

Based on the articles that I have read, it looks like JPM is looking for a "different" challenge. Remember he use to race for Ganassi Target Racing for CART/IRL and was there for only 1 season and finished on top and rookie of the year. He doesn't seem like the type of guy to continue finishing 2nd or 3rd (actually not even that in F1, I think he has 7 1st place finishes in almost as many years....). He probably wants to be back on top so he is going to NASCAR (where I do not think he will do well). IMHO, he should have stayed a few more years in CART/IRL before making the jump to F1.

Maybe we will see M.Schumacher join IROC racin' next.....

I think the epitomy of racing comes back down to the "spectator" league 1/3 mile dirt tracks. Barely modified cars, no yellow flags, and all the smashing in the world. Only the best of drivers make it out alive while making good time. I have a feeling a lot of these so called greats would get annihilated in these races. Gotta love good ol' fashioned hick racing [H]

2005-08-04_125314_johnbrandonspin1new.jp

(http://www.sycamorespeedway.com/)

I think the epitomy of racing comes back down to the "spectator" league 1/3 mile dirt tracks.

2005-08-04_125314_johnbrandonspin1new.jp

(http://www.sycamorespeedway.com/)

Yeeeessiiirrrry Bob, that thar's what I caaalls racin.... der aint nothin like that roundy round, fraction of a mile, nice and flat dirt track to show off your natural god given talents as a real world champion. Man-o-man, just the thought of the incredible shape those worriors must be in, I mean, to smash it up with the best there is. Your right, it is the epitomy, epitome of racin. Just think, at the end of that high pressure, hard fought and intense battle, only the worlds greatest car worrior will make the victory lap. Yes, sirrrreee Bob, that's the epitomy of racin..or did you mean grassroots racin?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I LOVE FORMULA ONE. That has been at the bottom of every post I have ever made. From day ONE. And I'll admit it, as much as I love Formula One, YES siiirreee,. it has on more than one occasion been boring, completely boring. But I am a fan. Been watching it for more than 20 years, and will probably go on watching and loving it.

Why am I hooked on Formula One for the common known fact that these cars are the most highly technical racing vehicles on earth. It is a fact that countless engineering developments used in all vehicles today (all over the world, including the most advanced military vehicles), where born in the Formula One arena. And no 2 arenas are the same.

I've been to 3 NASCAR events (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Bristol would be my favorite), I attended Sebring 5 years in a row, camped out right there on the grass. Been to every GTP and IMSA race in SanAntoino, 5 I think it was, seen CART, IRL in Miami, Dallas, St. Petersburg. But I have never been to either of my favorite forms of motor racing, MotoGP and F1.

F1, no other form of racing comes close (except MotoGP)....at least, that's the way it use to be...... I will likely not believe this to be true in 2 years. Why, because the currently proposed 2008 regulations are a complete 180 deg. turn from what F1 has evolved into. Yes, the stewards that make up the rules (and who are influenced by outside sources, cough BERNNIE!) all claim their new rules were derived to significantly reduce costs.... But some magazine articles say it has more to-do with bunching up the cars by dumbing them down, so that more accidents or Contact (as in above, ala NASCAR) will occur, and increase viewership. More $$$, what a surprise.

If you watch racing (what ever it is) maybe because you like accident, blood, or carnage.or maybe you like to watch FORD and CHEVY and MOPAR dookin it out on the high banks of Daytona. Maybe youre a Jack Roush fan, or Newman-Hass fan, or Unser fan, or John Force fan, or Derek Bell fan, Fittipaldi fan, Paul Tracy fan, Tony Kanaan fan, Sam Hornish fan, Heilio Castro Nieves fan.or maybe you just love watchin Bubba go round & around and rollin in the dirt.. what ever it is, more power to you. But I will not sit around and argue about mine favorite form of racing is being better than yours, or one of your drivers made the jump to my favorite form of racing. See ya, enjoy yourself, and hope to meet ya at the next Gathering. But please, dont bash Formula One in front of me, and expect me to remain silent.

Truth of the matter is that, after failing to accomplish much of anything in his 7 years in F1 and being, esentially, fired by McLaren - Montoya had no place to go in F1.

Alonso is moving to McLaren. Fisichella has resigned at Renault and by all accounts Kovalainen is signed for the second seat. So, unless Schumacher retires and Raikkonen moves to Ferrari, there aren't any open seats in F1.

Obviously, having been shown the door from the second seat at McLaren, Montoya isn't a candidate to replace Raikkonen - should he move to Ferrari. Should Raikkonen jump ship, McLaren will most likely bring up Lewis Hamilton - who Ron Denis has been nurturing through the ranks since he was about 12.

Montoya ran out of options in F1. He remains, however, a top tier driver, so you have to wonder why he decided to run off and join the carinval - perhaps he had a craving for a corndog on a stick.

James

Creating a common form of car as in NASCAR (three manufacturers with different conditions on their shape and spoilers to make them as equal as possible) has resulted in a dozen racers having a chance to win on any given night. In F1 which I watch regularly, if you are lucky their are two teams with competitive cars and one most tracks the only passing occurs during pit stops. Either they have to widen the tracks and encourage more opportunities to pass or make the cars more equal. The CART race in Cleveland is a hoot because they are racing on an airstrip with passing opportunities all over the place. It sure beats a procession like Monaco, although the scenery in Monaco is a lot nicer.

Montoya has always been known as a risk taker, at least he was in CART. He was willing to go side by side and challenge anybody, anywhere. Montoya should fit right in with NASCAR once he learns how to bump draft and survive being bump drafted. I'm sure the good ole boys will give him a lesson or two. [;)]

Truth of the matter is that, after failing to accomplish much of anything in his 7 years in F1 and being, esentially, fired by McLaren - Montoya had no place to go in F1.

Alonso is moving to McLaren. Fisichella has resigned at Renault and by all accounts Kovalainen is signed for the second seat. So, unless Schumacher retires and Raikkonen moves to Ferrari, there aren't any open seats in F1.

Obviously, having been shown the door from the second seat at McLaren, Montoya isn't a candidate to replace Raikkonen - should he move to Ferrari. Should Raikkonen jump ship, McLaren will most likely bring up Lewis Hamilton - who Ron Denis has been nurturing through the ranks since he was about 12.

Montoya ran out of options in F1. He remains, however, a top tier driver, so you have to wonder why he decided to run off and join the carinval - perhaps he had a craving for a corndog on a stick.

James

That is a very accurate account. And I think you may be on to something with the Corndog. [:D]

"Yeah there is money in both venues. Different kind of glamour though. I am impressed by both because of the driving talent involved in both. Most innovations that filter down to the average guy have come from F1 historically, sort of like the innovations in sailing trickling down from the America's Cup."

I agree. Although both venues are similar regarding certain types of glamour .......(can you say "Ingrid Vandebosch?")

Both series require a special set of skills, and I admire the talent required to excel in both F1 and NASCAR. I do think that Montoya is going to have some real problems once he drives a car that is not equipped with traction control. It might be fun to watch how many times Montoya spins out though.

Ability and skill to drive one type of vehicle does not necessarily translate to another type. For example, Danica's dad visiting NASCAR teams? Even Rahal can see through that as sheer postering - just to get more money out of him.......

Discussions such as these become even more interesting when "F1 only" fans start throwing around [carnival] and corndog comments.

Carl.

For me, the distinction is not F1 vs NASCAR, but rather road course vs oval track.

Frankly, you couldn't pay me to watch oval track racing - I find it boring and pointless - especially the Indy 500 (or anything else IRL for that matter).

James

I still can't believe it. JPM was the first driver to bang wheels with Michael Shummacher since 1996 or 97, when Villenuve was with the then Williams/Renault team.

JPM has all the skills and talent, but his firey temper-ment got him into trouble, one too many times. I really thought he would switch to Flavio and run in the Renault. Rumor is or was that Renault was planning to pull out by 2008, and JPM would make the switch and take Alonso's ride, but now?????

Seems the fastest car in F1 will not have a driver that's a World Championship contender for next year. Oh well, the world keeps turning.

A few comments.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

First, to those of you that seem to enjoy making yourself feel superior by making condescending remarks characterizing those who watch and enjoy NASCAR KISS MY F*CKING ***!!

I normally dont get into flaming anyone, but frzn and jheis you deserve it. I completely resent and am offended by your broad stroke labeling. For your information, I am a degreed engineer and die hard gear head for 40 of my 50 years on this earth. I am far above average intelligence and posses enough social skills to have been a member of several Board of Directors plus the President of a national motorcycle organization that interfaced with major motorcycle companies. I consider your comments a personal attack just as you would should someone come on this forum and pop-off that anyone that owns Klipsch speakers must have a tin ear. The truth is, some folks DO have a tin ear. But just because they own Klipsch speakers doesnt mean that ALL Klipsch owners do - which is EXACTLY what youre NASCAR comments have implied. Might I point out to you that comments such as yours just serve to show your ignorance??

I find it interesting that I have yet to read ANY comment on this forum where some die hard NASCAR fan has made such derogatory comments. But the same CANNOT be said about F1 fans. You guys see NASCAR and its like a red cape in front of a bull and off your mouth runs.

Personally, I dont give a fat rats *** whether you like NASCAR or F1 or World of Outlaws or Offshore Racing or whatever. What I do care about is being labeled just because you feel like you can hiding behind your keyboard.

And FWIW, I would love for one of you F1 fanatics that think theyve got it all figured out about how simple NASCAR racing is to just once strap your *** into a Nextel Cup car and try making it do what even a driver ranked 40th can make it do. Better yet, Id love to be a fly on the wall listening to you battling wits with the engine or chassis engineer at DEI racing. Obviously, those ignorant rednecks are just plain lucky that they can get a 3500 pound car with a 355 cubic inch pushrod motor running 103 octane fuel through a restrictor plate 700cfm carb to go damn near 200mph. Shyeah..right. Next thing youll tell all of us dumass NASCAR fans is that at any given F1 racetrack you can, for a small fee, get a pit pass that allows you to just walk right up to any F1 driver or talk to their crew or shake hands with car owners.

You folks just plain amaze me sometimes.

Tom

But

I will not sit around and argue about mine favorite form of racing is

being better than yours, or one of your drivers made the jump to my

favorite form of racing. See ya, enjoy yourself, and hope to meet ya at

the next Gathering. But please, dont bash Formula One in front of me,

and expect me to remain silent.

Yikes, I didn't intend for my post to be taken as bashing other

leagues! It was only supposed to be poking fun at the nancy pants who are afraid of contact [;)] Ya know, kinda like the difference between tackle and flag football. [:P]

Geeze Tom, lighten up.

This is not a subject that is worth getting so worked up about. If I insulted you, I apologize.

I do not apologize for not being a NASCAR fan.

Sure there are brilliant engineers and great drivers in NASCAR, but the cars have nothing to do with "Stock Cars" - other than the NASCAR name and, I believe, the windshields. And when was the last time you could even buy a new car with a carburetor - or when could you EVER buy a tube frame, rear wheel drive, longitudinal V8 Taurus or Lumina (or what ever model names they're running as these days)? The cars are more alike than they are different and have virtually nothing to do with the label they run under.

James

My opinion is that it is all preference.

I personally do not enjoy watching American Cars making 4 left hand turns for hours at end, but that is my preference. Why I enjoy watching F1 is really because these are the best cars ever manufactured in the world and it takes me out of reality for a few hours - until the wife wants me to help with yard work.

To think of driving a 2.4 V8 with 750hp, acceleration times such as 0 to 100 km/h: 1.9 seconds, 0 to 200 km/h: 3.9 seconds, 0 to 300 km/h: 8.4 seconds is mind-boggling, and those are just the specs in 2006. 2004 was much better....

An average F1 car can decelerate from 100-0 km/h (62-0 mph) in about 17 meters (55 feet), compared with a Dodge Viper (considered one of the best mass-production street cars for braking), which takes around 34 meters (112 feet). More than half the distance...that is awesome!!

IMO, and it is just preference. Nothing in NASCAR can compare to that, that is why I , and I am sure why others, watch F1.

An average F1 car can decelerate from 100-0 km/h (62-0 mph) in about 17 meters (55 feet), compared with a Dodge Viper (considered one of the best mass-production street cars for braking), which takes around 34 meters (112 feet). More than half the distance...that is awesome!!

put some racing slicks on a dodge viper and true carbon fiber disc brakes (No carbon-carbon or carbon-steel rotor) and add aero adjustments [:P] and see the feet melt away