Best CD (DVD) player in $100 price range?

Daddy Dee

I'm looking for something to play CD's on an office system. I have read some good things about some Toshiba DVD players that can be had on Ebay for $150 (or so). Less would be even better. However, I don't recall the recommended models... something in the 49** series? 39** series.

Any recommendations or warnings are appreciated for Toshiba and/or others in this price range.

Thanks.

Take a look at Sony. Why would you purchase something like that from E-bay? You can buy new for that price. I bought an Apex, yes a walmart special for $38.00, 3 years ago for the wife to watch movies, haven't had abit of trouble with it, plays DVD, Cd, picture discs, she doesn't need anything fancier than that................

I think the model number you are trying to remember is the Ttoshiba

3950. People liked them for cheap sound and for modding.

The technology, though , is now about 3 years old, so I'd probably pass

and go new.

My player in my downstairs system dropped dead about 3 months ago. I

didn't have much cash in the winter so I opted for a Best Buy purchase

of the Denon 1720 the current bottom-of-the Denon line dvd

player. Has Burr Brown DAC and sounds very detailed with nice

soundstage. Only thing that bothered me was the cymbals part of

the drum sets on some rock and roll cd's seems to be a bit tinny or not

very well extended but that could be how they sound live (haven't been

to a live concert since I bought these).

I believe I paid about $120 and the next one up the line goes for $200 more.

You know, I think almost every player I've had have eventually broke down on me in 2-3 years. I've had some rather good Yammy, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. Some were upper range some were lower range players. I personally think that they build them to break after a short time period to get me to buy a new one. I am going to either get a really good one (Mac maybe??), or spend not much on a good universal player and chunk them when they fry. Seems scary to me to buy a cheaper used one, they don't seem to last so long. My last one is a Samsung universal, paid 129 for it. It seems ok. Not high end, but not the end of the world when if dies off. IMHO, I would get a new one that has all the features that you need and then be able to replace it when it kicks the ole bucket.

Paul

You know, I think almost every player I've had have eventually broke down on me in 2-3 years. I've had some rather good Yammy, Onkyo, Pioneer, etc. Some were upper range some were lower range players. I personally think that they build them to break after a short time period to get me to buy a new one. I am going to either get a really good one (Mac maybe??), or spend not much on a good universal player and chunk them when they fry. Seems scary to me to buy a cheaper used one, they don't seem to last so long. My last one is a Samsung universal, paid 129 for it. It seems ok. Not high end, but not the end of the world when if dies off. IMHO, I would get a new one that has all the features that you need and then be able to replace it when it kicks the ole bucket.

Paul

Kinda seems like that's happened to me too. I've had a top end Yamaha that started skipping after a few years. I then replaced it with a middle-of-the-pack Denon (still not cheap) that sounded better, but also starting giving problems after a couple of years. I then went higher end and bought separates (DAC/Transport) from Theta. I haven't had a single problem with either, and I got them used and they are probablya bout 10 years old now. They still sound great. Of course I think they sold for around two grand a piece when new.

I've got a couple of Toshiba SD-3960 players. I'm sure there is a newer model, but you can find these for $50 at Best Buy when on sale. I don't know how long they will last, but they do sound quite good considering. They are slow to load up a CD and start playing, but other than that, can't complain too much for the price.

"I've got a couple of Toshiba SD-3960 players. I'm sure there is a newer model, but you can find these for $50 at Best Buy when on sale. I don't know how long they will last, but they do sound quite good considering. They are slow to load up a CD and start playing, but other than that, can't complain too much for the price."

I'll take a big stab and say 2 years....... ; )>

I'm guessing that most new DVD players will play CD's with decent quality provided that it isn't totally bottom of the line. The sound quality is pretty much there, but the reliability factor is gone. (Unless you spend some money.) Then you gotta figure the quality and reliability of the transport.

50 bucks for 2 or 3 years of DVD and CD playback.......I guess it's worth it.....

I don't watch many movies, so I'm listening to a 15 year old super-tweaked Onkyo R1 DX-701 CDP. Low use unit from a thrift store for 17 bucks.

Went overkill a bit on the capacitance maybe, you have turn to the unit on first and off last or it does a nice little squirk and thump. But the CDP sounds rather good, with awesome bass. And it's reliable.......it loads quick, tracks quick, spits 'em out quick.

Compared to a Panasonic RP-56 DVD unit, the RP-56 sounds flat and dead with CD playback. It is still a decent unit, with a sub output and good video playback. (gotta watch moovies...)

Haven't done any comparing the Onkyo to a basically stock Rega Planet, I doubt I'll even bother.........

Dee,

I am sure all the recommendations above make a lot of sense, however let me add one more suggestion:

Philips DVP 720SA. It has replaced my 963SA, not only because that model broke down, but because it sounds better - without any mods. This player is a real sleeper (IMO) that has absolutely no right to sound THAT good - plus it also plays SACDs.

The only drawback: default SACD setting is multi-channel and to switch into 'plain stereo' you either need a TV - or simply memorize the order of buttons one has to press [:D].

Wolfram

The $150 Oppo DVD/DVD-A/SACD could work out well.

It has a full master volume control for all 6 channels of outputs so it

could literally be used for multi-channel DVD-A/SACD direct into amps

without needing a pre-amp at all.

It even has built in Dolby Pro Logic II processing for 2 channel

sources (CDs) for those that want to play around with 3 speakers up

front using a more active method of doing that then the mini-box with

the full controls to adjust center steering and such.

Shawn

The $150 Oppo DVD/DVD-A/SACD could work out well.

It has a full master volume control for all 6 channels of outputs so it could literally be used for multi-channel DVD-A/SACD direct into amps without needing a pre-amp at all.

It even has built in Dolby Pro Logic II processing for 2 channel sources (CDs) for those that want to play around with 3 speakers up front using a more active method of doing that then the mini-box with the full controls to adjust center steering and such.

Shawn

Shawn, do you have a model number for that Oppo? I had heard Oppos were well-regarded for video playback, but didn't know they had a universal player. Thanks.

check with costco or Sams for the toshiba 3960 or samsung( dont rememebr the model),but can be bought for around $99..if you do some research on it,and you ll find out that those two player use the exact same chip in the 3k CD player a few years ago..I dont know anything about the video quailty though..hope this help