New to Khorns: 1st impessions

mark1101

Basically what I meant was disconnecting the bass portion of the AK-3 and wiring direct to the woofer. I took a look at it and it looked fine to me. I didn't mess with it. The woofer bolts were good and tight, and I was outa there.

Mark, I'm going to see my first ever 'Dead' show this Saturday when Phil Lesh comes to Indy. Got the gold circle seats and am going to be hanging out with two major Dead Heads, one of whom just got back from seeing Rat Dog at Red Rocks.

I know they are okay with the taping and such, but are those shows usually pro-camera friendly?

Thanks- now go back and enjoy those Khorns some more.

Michael

Mike,

I just saw Phil on June 25th at HiFi Buys in Atlanta. He's got a great band this time out and you will really enjoy it. Phil does a lot of the older Dead tunes. If you're up on that stuff, you'll enjoy it even more.

You may be seeing the Phish guys too. He's got some guests at various venues. When I saw him he had Dickey Betts and did an hour long set of ABB tunes (Blue Sky, Elizabeth Reed, Jessica) and some Dead tunes. Dickey Betts had his son with him also on guitar. Big tall kid, long hair, can really play pretty well.

As far as flash photography, don't know. I really don't know the rules on that. You might try to get a few shots in the first set before it gets dark using no flash.

Klipschorns really don't need that much help whether with movies or music. And the bass is fine without a sub. There are not too many speakers out there that can do as good a job as the Khorn when filling a room with music. Some speakers may do individual things better - but not everything so well. I used my old Klipschorns with surrounds for movies only and I didn't worry about a centre channel.

Here's an update on network settings and center channel testing.

I was running my LaScalas on -6.2 db on my ALK Jrs. It took quite awhile for me to settle on that setting after lots of testing. I was really happy with it and its balance on the Las. So, I just put the networks into the Khorns as is. I thought at first things were a little shrill, so tonight I backed them down to -6.7. That was too low, right away. So just for giggles I went up to -4.6, and I had to stop there and listen awhile. I hadn't really heard that much squawker in a while and at first it sounded enticing. I tossed in a few different CDs and eventually settled back to the original -6.2. That's definitely the most balanced setting in my room.

I think I understand the issue though. When I got rid of the subs, I also got rid of a splitter on the output of the Peach. So, I'm hitting the VRDs a little hotter, and I just had to back off on the volume a little.

Now about the center channel. I found after testing some more that I don't really need a center channel. However, when I put one of my cornwalls in there...WOW. That worked!! The cornwall seems to be very compatible with the Khorn bass speed. At least mine is, a '73 vert with a stock rebuilt network. A match made in heaven, really. In about 30 seconds I knew it was right. After adjusting the amp a little (NosValves rebuilt Scott LK-72), I had it.

The funny thing is that even though it is not required, having a compatible center speaker, really bolsters the soundfield IMHO. I have no blur at all, and a giant soundstage up front. I'm really happy with it. I think it's better than with the 3 LaScalas so far. I have a PWK minibox from Dr. Bill, and it just works super. So, I'm leaving the center in for now.

Well, that's it. Now I'm just going to listen.

Z-brackets are on the way, and the CT-125s are on deck.

Mark, this is just the 2/3 channel rig, right?

I mean, you're keeping the Scalas/Subs for HT aren't you?!~!?!?

I'm watching Floyd DVD Pulse right now through my LS/THX and can't imagine hearing it through anything else.

The khorns are for more refined listening in my home.[;)] The LS/THX is for blowing the hair off all the cats![6]

Michael

Yeah Mike, I'm going to have to do something with it all. I have 3 LaScalas, 2 cornwalls, 4 heresys, and 2 subs. Sounds like a home theater to me too.

We have a Sony "HT in a box" setup that actually works pretty well in our living room. No room for this type of stuff in there.

I also have a nice Denon S/S HT receiver that also sits unused in my son's bedroom.

I think I need to assemble "The Man's" extreme HT for stuff like concerts, sports, and um...movies.

I have plans for the cornwalls but the LaScalas, heresys, and subs are available.

Mark,

Please keep up the descriptions.

I love reading about these adventures. The reason is that your experiences confirm what PWK wrote about.

There is some inclination to think that "those we're the old days but now with subs and various advances, we're living in different, modern times."

BTW, do you get any image of the height of performers? When I play F-M's "The Dance", Ms Nicks (?) vocals seem to float above the center. I attributed that to some sort of ceiling, floor bounce. It is quite spooky.

Gil

Mark, take another look at those rivits on the Z brackets. Mine (different year) are actually some sort of funky plastic thing that expands when the plastic pin is driven in them. I was able to reverse the process then put the z brackes on my Crites tweets.

Congrats on the khorns....sounds like you have a great looking as well as great sounding pair.

Yeah Mike, I'm going to have to do something with it all. I have 3 LaScalas, 2 cornwalls, 4 heresys, and 2 subs. Sounds like a home theater to me too.

We have a Sony "HT in a box" setup that actually works pretty well in our living room. No room for this type of stuff in there.

I also have a nice Denon S/S HT receiver that also sits unused in my son's bedroom.

I think I need to assemble "The Man's" extreme HT for stuff like concerts, sports, and um...movies.

I have plans for the cornwalls but the LaScalas, heresys, and subs are available.

HUH?

Sounds to me like you have a room with Khorns and the CW center for 2-3 channel listening.

Then there is the LS across the front, and Heresy surround and rears for a 7 channel system. Or is there not room for two setups?

Michael

Interesting progression. I solved my similar problem as follows: Using a passive summation center channel between 2 Khorns using AlK's ES crossovers on all three speakers (center channel too). I'm using JBL 2482 mid-range in all 3 and JBL 2404 tweeters in all 3. I use no bass for the center channel. I drive all the speakers with an Accuphase E530 with excellent tone controls and can set the center channel volume separately. The JBL 2482 using the phenolic diaphragm delivers a solid coherant mid-bass down to the 450Hz cut-off. I've got wonderful imaging and very detailed reproduction. Looking forward someday to shifting all those mid ranges to some sort of tactrix horn. I'm really quite pleased every time I fire up the system.

Rplace,

You are correct. I checked again and have the same plastic rivet-wanna-be fasteners. I guess the first time I didn't look to closely. I didn't take things apart though. I had already ordered z-brackets from Bob, so I'll leave the stockers in there and just add the CT-125s to the new z brackets. I should have looked closeer when I had everything apart. The truth is I just don't want to work on these things anymore for awhile. I was spoiled working on the LaScalas. They were so easy to work on. I'm already tired of pulling these things away from the wall for adjustments and what not.

Mike,

This house has a huge almost empty basement. My son and I have discussed a big Heritage HT in the other room, and now all the speakers required are available. Yeah, the room I'm in is my 2/3 channel listening room, and my PC is in here as well (24x18). This basement has an in-law suite, office, livingroom, and work shop with 2 sets of double doors for driving in on one side, out the other (62x18). 11 ft ceiling down here. It's big. The room my 2/3 channel is supposed to be the "livingroom". The new HT would be in the bedroom part which is 17x32. I'm really lucky, I had lost of choices for the Khorns.

Oscar,

Sounds like you have a sweet setup, especially with those networks.

Edit:

Gil,

Thanks for the comments. I spent a few hours last night trying to answer your question about image height. Not an easy one to answer for me, my system, and the music. The answer is yes and no. Most of the time no, I can't perceive a specific height of the vocalist or "band". But...with certain CDs the image gets bigger. The "difference" in image is definitely very noticeable. Bigger and smaller I can perceive, but not specifically a height dimension. Does that make sense?

Now...I did the testing both with and without the center channel. The center channel speaker really completes or rather enhances the image and can make almost all the music I played have a WIDER image. Again, I'm not perceiving specific height. But the image is always better (larger) with the center channel.

It's funny, some CDs image better than others, and the use of the center channel helps a lot.

An example of one that images no matter what is Pink Floyd's Pulse. No center channel necessary. Huge image.

I have some live Ratdog (Bob Weir) FLAC downloads. Now, they really improve with the use of the center channel. Without it, it's just poor stereo in my opinion.

I hope I made some sense here.

Mark,

Have DrWho run those measurements through the mode calculator 17x32 is pretty close to 1:2 ratio and could be trouble.

Sounds like a great house. Mine is old with low ceilings in the semi-damp basement. It's gonna be a long haul getting that prepped for HT use. But I have hope.

Keep on Rockin!

Michael

dam dam dam ever since i got back from hope i have been trying to convince myself that i don't need khorns.... I bought Belles when I had an apartment and didn't think I would have a home with good corners...... Now I do....... I need to measure one wall as there is a window pain close by but I think khorns will fit.... Perhaps someday I can find a deal on khorns or I can find someone who would trade Belles for Khorns......