My TV is high def ready, what exactly does that mean?

m00n

So, as stated my tv is high def ready. Bought it about 3 years ago. Right out of the box with my satalite dish it has an incredible picture. Anyrate, what does HD ready mean?

Also, I'm getting a XOBX 360 next week, it does HD. Does that mean that when I plug in the 360, that the image will be in HD on my screen?

Thanks all

So, as stated my tv is high def ready. Bought it about 3 years ago. Right out of the box with my satalite dish it has an incredible picture. Anyrate, what does HD ready mean?

Also, I'm getting a XOBX 360 next week, it does HD. Does that mean that when I plug in the 360, that the image will be in HD on my screen?

Thanks all

HD-ready means that the TV can accept and display HD input. However, the TV itself does not have a built-in HD tuner (whereas something, such as my 55-inch Mitsubishi Diamond series TV does have a built-in tuner. I just needed to hook up my antenna, and voila! I got HD programming - gotta love NFL football in full High-Def!). However, if you don't bother with OTA broadcasting, and get everything through the satellite or cable, the lack of a built-in tuner is not a detriment. However, to get "true" High-Def from your satellite, you have to upgrade your satellite service and reciever box to get High-Def programming (something I still need to do but waiting for HD capable DVR's to get a little cheaper, plus I have to install one of those new "oval" dishes as I still have one of the old "round" dishes - maybe next summer).

As for the XBox 360, first, the game has to be written to take advantage of High-Def format. Also, I don't know if you can plug in the XBox 360 and get high-def "right out of the box". You might have to get the special High-Def hookup/cables for the XBox 360. Check the XBox 360 site for more information. But once you have all the proper hookups for the XBox 360, and provided the game you are playing actually supports it, your TV should be able to display it properly.

I believe regular tv is 480 dpi X 480 dpi

hd tv is 1024X728

blu-ray and hd dvd are 1280 X 1024 I think?

Hence all computer screens are technically high definition by nature.

Standard def is 480i (Interlaced), which are typically 4:3 aspect ratio is 640 x 480 in pixel resulotion (at least what is actually visable). This is also for 480p (progressive scan) in 4:3 aspect ration.

However, there is also "EDTV" or "Enhanced Definition", which is basically 480p widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio. Some of the cheap(er) plasma or LCD displays are this format. This translates to 853 x 480 in resolution. All true "High-Def" capable or "ready" sets can also display this.

Then you got 720p, which is the first of the "true" High-Def formats. This is also always a "widescreen" (16:9) format, which translates into 1280 x 720. Many typically mid-priced plasma and/or LCD (including the display on my laptop) displays this as it's "native" resulotion.

And ultimatly, you got 1080i (interlaced) and 1080p (progressive scan). This is also always a "widescreen" format as well. This is 1920 x 1080 in resolution. The new HD-DVD and Blu-Ray formats are supposed to be capable of supporting 1080p, although, apparently, the players that are just coming out (such as the Toshiba HD-DVD players), are only actually capable of doing 1080i. At least all CRT based high-def TVs can actually display at least the 1080i format (My 55-inch Mitsubishi WS55813 can display this). The new Sony SXRD displays are supposed to be able to display 1080p. I believe there are other DLP sets that are capable of displaying this as well. Any Plasma and/or LCD displays capable of 1080(i/p)? If so, I am willing to bet you have to pay a king's ransom for one, especially any of the larger sized models. Since I am not in the market for a new TV, I have not really researched this out much. I can't recall if the XBox 360 supports 1080p. I am willing to bet the Sony PlayStation 3 is going to, though.

HD comes in two flavors. 720 and 1080. The number refers to the ammount of pixels the picture is tall.

720 can come interlaced or progressive. Interlaced means that the tv with show odd and even fields every other frame. Imagine the screen was split into horizontal rows one pixel wide. Put a number next to each "field". The odd numbers are displayed first, then the even fields are displayed, then the odd fields again. This is done 60 times a second for NTSC and 50 frames per second for PAL. This was done to save bandwidth, as you would only have to transmit have the picture at any time. Progessive scan displays the entire picture every frame. You can find tvs that support this resolution in both 4:3, which is very uncommon these days, and 16:9, which is your standard widescreen. Most hi-def television is broadcast in this resolution because of bandwidth limitations.

1080 also comes in both interlaced and progressive. I do think that all 1080 broadcasts are done interlaces because of progressive scan's immense bandwidth requirements. 1080 can also come in both 4:3 (I actually owned one of these...) and 16:9.

Now for the Xbox 360. All games published for the Xbox360 must support 720p and Dolby Digital 5.1 as a minimum requirement. All original Xbox titles are scaled to 720p and have some level of antialiasing (to remove jagged edges) applied to them. There are no current titles that support 1080 though several use 720p with antialiasing. The maximum output of the Xbox 360 is 1080i.

It means your ready to spend more money. With DTV for example a HD box

around 200 and HD programming for around an extra 10 bucks a month. I

love HD though and almost cannot watch anything non-HD. When you get the 360 it should plug right in and be ready to go.

I'm not sure what kind of video cables the XBox 360 comes with, but you'll need a component or HDMI cable to get High Def resolution.

Interestingly enough, even though the PlayStation 2 doesn't support HD in its hardware, certain games like Gran Turismo 4 and the motorcycle game that the makers of Gran Turismo made support 1080i resolution through their software. If I play the game in HD, my TV automatically switches over to 1080i resolution. Pretty cool.

Actually wit hDirect Tv the box is only $100 now, or the HD DVR is $400. And I know in Indy you have to have the 5 LNB dish to take advantage of the HD locals that are included with the DTV HD Package, but only in certain markets. lol I think its awesome tho...Also I remember hearing from a DTV rep that they want to plan on being 24/7 HD on every channel whether its true or upconverted, by like 2008-2009.....which would be double Awesome...

"My TV is high def ready, what exactly does that mean?"

I've wondered that myself. I had assumed it meant you could turn it up louder, when eventually your hearing started to go. You know, when your highly deaf.