Who Manufacture's Sonicaps

Frzninvt

Guys,

If you want Sonicaps, get them fron here:

http://www.gr-research.com/components/SoniCap.htm

The other place has a guy named Jeff who is a real jerk! Avoid him like the plague!

BTW: Sonicap is the only brand that offers metalized caps at +-5% values. That's the main reason I use them. Hovland MusiCaps are +-5% but those are film and floil caps and more expensive.

AL K.

Sonicap is the only brand that offers metalized caps at +-5% values? Since when? The Solen FastCaps I use are +-5%.

Al should have said, "Sonicap is the only high quality brand that offers caps at +-5% values."

Caps are built using different materials, one indicator of this difference is in the size of the cap, which reflects the film thickness.

Solen, 2.0µF, 250VDC, 13mm x 25mm
Sonicap, 2.0µF, 200VDC, 16mm x 33mm

If you need tighter tolerances, most vendors will work with you if you buy in sufficient quantity. For example, Audience has agreed to keep mine within 5%, even though they are +/-10% caps.

Jeff of Sonic Craft can be a little obnoxious, but he has a brilliant mind and he probably knows caps about as good as anywhere out there -- which is a good thing since he designed the Sonicap.

The reason that I am asking is I just bought a pair of Klipsch Type A networks on eBay that used the Sonicaps and huge 2.5mh foil coil. I bought them principally for the parts but may try the network itself. I get lost on the autoformer settings and may need some help as I do not know how this guy had them set up.

Would the Sonicap be an improvement over two Kimber Kap 1.5uf's and a 10uf wired in parallel since it is a single 13uf @ +/1 5%?

The coil looks massive but I don't know if I have a spot for a 2.5mh foil coil.

See here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&item=160008858128&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I won't be able to go to that link from work, eBay is blocked at the firewall.

I get lost on the autoformer settings and may need some help as I do not know how this guy had them set up.

Type A: Input (13uF) to tap 5, tweeter from tap 4 (2uF), and squawker from tap 3 (just wire).

Would the Sonicap be an improvement over two Kimber Kap 1.5uf's and a 10uf wired in parallel since it is a single 13uf @ +/1 5%?

Maybe, maybe not -- it mostly depends on your ears. From the perspective of tolerances, it's not much of an issue with that particular network. First order has a huge overlap between the drivers, and a bit of shifting of the crossover point isn't much to get excited about. Sonicaps do have lower ESR than the Kimbers, but the Kimbers are paralleled, so one way might not sound any brighter than the other. Finally, some say paralleling with values too far off from each other should be avoided, but I honestly can't remember why. I would be inclined to use the single Sonicap just so I could hear it!

Can you tell what gauge wire the coils are?

Here you Dean,

I was going to use the 13.0uf's in my AK-3's and maybe the coil in those Super AA's I got from you that use all AudioCap theta's but I don't think it will fit on the board. I think you used a 2.5mh coil in that network.

Guys,

Dean is right. The Solen FastCaps are a consistant 5%. That's why I still use them for large values in woofer filters and for the "notch" sectons of the ES networks.

Yes, Jeff might be a goog tech guy, but if he wasn't a big wheel the management would never let him talk to customers! He should be kept in the production department!

BTW: I have tested several foil inductors for use in crossover networks. They are very low loss, at about 50 KHz and above! At audio frequency they are WAY overpriced and not even as good as normal wire inductors. Save your money!

AL K.

""BTW: I have tested several foil inductors for use in crossover networks. They are very low  loss, at about 50 KHz and above! At audio frequency they are WAY overpriced and not even as good as normal wire inductors. Save your money!""

Thanks for that report. I wondered about them. I think 1 foil inductor is used on the AL-4.

Dean said: "Type A: Input (13uF) to tap 5, tweeter from tap 4 (2uF), and squawker from tap 3 (just wire)." Say what? Bob

LOL, yeah, that wouldn't be a good way to do that would it? Type B on the brain sorry.

Input (13uF) to tap 5, tweeter from tap 5 (2uF), and squawker from tap 4 (just wire).

Charles, don't forget that your AK-3 Klipschorns have split networks. You'd have to bypass the filter section in the bass bins to use those. I don't think I would try mounting those coils on the boards I sold you. There really isn't room, and if you did manage to pull it off -- you'd notice very little difference in the bottom.