PAYPAL

mmiles

I have a few "procedure and policy" questions regarding the use of PayPal.

1. When do you ship (if you are the seller of course) the products purchased via PP? Same day as payment recieved, once payment has been "submitted" (transfer request to sellers bank account) or after "settlement" (money is in the bank usually 3 business days after PP payment is made by the buyer)?

2. Is is "legal" or a breach of contract with PayPal to ask buyer to pay the 3% transaction fee?

Regards,

Mike

I ship once the money is in my PayPal account, I transfer it to my checking account and it is usually there in 2-3 days tops. Why make someone wait until the money is in your checking account, it is going to make it there anyway.

If you expect the "buyer" to cover the 3% fees you need to make that known up front and NOT at the time of payment.

If this is an eBay auction it is illegal and against eBay policy to charge surcharges based on payment type. I always just factor it into the opening bid or BIN price or I just absorb it all together 3% is not much unless you are talking big dollar auctions of $1K or more.

What if a seller cancels after making payment? Is that possible once the transfer request ("withdraw" from your ---- buyer's ----- PP account) has been made?

No we are not talking about eBay and yes the payment of the fee is in the listing.

Regards,

Mike

Once it's in your Paypal account it is yours. I think there is some question about International users using paypal, I'm not up on that.

And it is a breach of contract to add the 3% for making someone use paypal. It also a breach to call it a handling fee or include it as a handling fee. Although the breach is rampant. Even if you tell the buyer up front, it is breaking the rules of the agreement you made with Paypal. Just accpet Paypal and be quiet about wanting 3%. You'll get a higher ending price by accepting Paypal. I know many bidders who will not bid on items if the seller doesn't accept Paypal.

Just figure it up ahead of time as a cost of doing business and include it in your auction price.

The only reason the money may be debited from your PayPal account is due to a complaint by the buyer or a claim of unauthorized use. The buyer complaint is easily remedied by providing proof of shipment via tracking. A chargeback or claim of fraudulent use, however, is a different matter entirely. These are credit card or bank account fraud issues (from the buyer). PayPal will dispute these claims for you, however you're not guaranteed to win the claim.

If you're an honest seller (now listen carefully to these next words) and you know well how to sell on Ebay and PayPal (don't take that statement lightly...most likely you fit this category even if you've sold many items before) then you'll be just fine. From this discussion so far it's clear nobody yet knows how to protect themselves. No offense. I just have yet to see a situation where the complaining party wasn't at fault for the issue themselves, minus a clearly fraudulent situation of course.

That's the seldom but unfortunate nature of being a merchant in any business...even on Ebay.

Actually I've had paypal pull my money back once I started the transfer to my account. The money is not really safe until you get it in your account and withdraw it.

Actually, it's still not safe even then. If you can't show that you shipped the item with tracking then your PayPal account could go negative. Until you resolve the negative balance, your PayPal account could go into collections just like any other debt such as you car or mortgage. Unfortunately you're ultimately responsible for the item reaching the buyer and PayPal won't take the hit for you. If they didn they'd be out of business within the week.

Selling via Ebay and PayPal is a serious matter. If you're going to sell something on Ebay, be fully prepared to lose that money just as a physical store is fully prepared to lose some inventory to risk (theft, fraud, etc).

Not to be a stick in the mud.

Here is a story . I sold a computer on ebay a fairly new imac at the time. i got about 1200 bucks for it used paypal. Shipped it with insurance in its original packing. The package disappears in route completly vanished, the tracking ended in N.C somewhere. The buyer complained and the money was yanked from my account. Paypal asked for the tracking number and few days lateer the money was given back to me.The buyer got his money too from his credit card insurance policy or something. and I collected the insurance through the shipping company. So I got paid twice!

Another time I sent a monitor, which weighed about 75 ounds. Insured it for 500. It was damaged. After a long battle they sent it wasnt packed properly, it was obvouisly dropped during shipping. They never made good on it

paypal like accepting CC's in your business is for YOUR convenience...you cannot chargeback their fees to your customers.

Ebay or not, if paypal gets a report of someone charging the transaction fees, they will react.

Paypal is the object of intense phishing scheems lately. The latest shows that you purchased something from somebody on Ebay with the name and number and asks you to verify the shipping, etc. If you forward it to spoof at paypal.com they will tell you by return "E" mail if it is a fake. Paypal says they never include links on invoices.

JJK