Members Weekly Music Recomendations-July 24

thebes

Although I was too dragged out from the heat last week to post I did

check in on this thread and I thought the suggestions and dialogue were

particularly good this last week.

Next week we'll have another drawing and see who gets lucky.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

George Thorogood and the Destroyers, "Move it On Over", rock, lp

Sure he's been beat to death on the radio, but every now and then I get

the urge to rock it up a little and throw this on player. This is

classic blues roots rock and roll. Loud, rocking and you can even

understand most o fthe words. Great fun and very well recorded by

of all things a folk and bluegrass label (Rounder).

So what do you have to share this week?

This week I'm going to do an Encore of a greatly over looked Artist and it's not a 70's Classic..................

DELBERT McCLINTON LIVE..............CD.........2003

I cannot say enough about this disc recorded live at the Bergen Musicfest in 2003. This guy is one of the best kept secrets in modern day music, and he's been doing this since the late 60's. You cannot put a label on him, he covers it all, Rock, Blues, Soul, Country, and Honky Tonk. Real songs about life, love, and the little detours we find on the road of life. Delbert is a great songwriter and even better performer, listen to him bring life to his songs.

This is one of the best bands you're ears are going to ever hear. Top Notch professionals, each and every one of them, these guys Flat Out kick ***.Rob McNelley on Guitar, simply wicked, George Hawkins on Bass listen to those tones, and the rest of the guys just cook. This to me is what Rock Music is all about, fine, fine music. It is none stop from first song to last, spread over 2 Disc's. It could be considered a Greatest Hits package, if you will, I guess it is. You will be hard pressed to find a disc or vinyl that sounds any better than this. The Sonic Quality is some of the best this old fart has ever heard, Super Sound.

I can not tell you guys enough; BUY THIS DISC, this is a great piece of music, and live to boot. The only thing I have left to say, Thank You Mr. McClinton, Thank You............

Well we got some new music in the mail this week.

New Age, DVD/CD - "The Magical Journeys of Andreas Vollenweider"

Andreas Vollenweider the Swiss harpist has been one artist I have followed since his first CD hit the market many years ago.

The new DVD/CD "The Magical Journeys of Andreas Vollenweider" is fantastic! While the CD has 18 great selections it just can not compare to the nearly four hours of content on the DVD.

One thing I really like about the DVD is we get a chance to see who Andreas Vollenweider is. We learn a lot about his life and family.

This is not your everyday artist. When you see him play before the Dalai Lama you will know how good an artist he really is. You will awe at the sound coming from the harp just as the Dalai Lama did.

If you are not familiar with the works of Andreas Vollenweider then go to the official site and sample his music.

http://www.vollenweider.com/

DVD! The Magical Journeys of Andreas Vollenweider

Posted Image

now available in the US ( Released: Apr 4, 2006 )

international release Sept06

25 years live! Almost 4 hours of live concerts, interviews, documetaries, music videos...

For this DVD, AVAF went through their archives and assembled almost four hours of film footage. What came out is a musical travelogue, filmed around the world, featuring the artist and his band, the "Friends" as well as renowned guest stars including Carly Simon, Adullah Ibrahim, David Lindley, Carlos Nunez, Djivan Gasparian and many others.

The program consists of concerts filmed in exotic and interesting locales through out Europe, America and Asia including a performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival, performances at the historic Rockaplast-Festival in Germany, the Tokyos NHK Hall, the town square of Zurich Switzerland (where Andreas performed for H.H. the Dalai Lama at his 70th birthday celebration) and several full orchestral performances and studio footage never seen before.

1. "The Magical Journeys", one hour PBS program on AVAFs 25 year concert history, from the early years to the most recent tours, incl. the symphonic works live and AVs personal comments

2. Concert Specials:

- Down to the Moon in Tokyo (1987)

- Tales of Kira Kutan (Poland, Symphonic, 2002),

- Wolkenstein (Switzerland, symphonic, 1999),

- COSMOPOLY project (Basle, Switzerland, 2001)

3. Documentaries on Book of Roses, Kryptos, COSMOPOLY project and the most recent album VOX

4. The Music Videos: "Pearls & Tears", "Dancing with the Lion" and the pioneer shortfilm "Pace Verde"

Guests including Carly Simon, Milton Nascimento, David Lindley, Bobby McFerrin and many others demonstrating the universality of music and it's ability to appeal and unite across cultures and languages.

Although Andreas Vollenweider's music has always been synonymous with the new age music genre, the Swiss harpist quickly transcended the genres record sales when White Winds (1983) and his global breakthrough, the Grammy winning 1986 album Down To The Moon became a crossover sensation on Billboard's pop, jazz and classical charts simultaneously. More than simply creating music that exuded tranquility, he was also responsible for producing a signature sound that has reached worldwide cult status.

His 25 years of almost constant touring have left him legions of fans the world over spanning generations and cultures. Concert programs filmed in exotic and interesting locales in Europe, America and Asia are featured in the program along with behind-the-scenes footage from many of the shows. These performances include Andreas' breakthrough performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival, performances at the Rockplast-Festival of Pop music in Berlin, studio footage featuring guest artists (Carly Simon, David Lindley, Abdullah Ibrahim Bobby McFerrin, Abdullah Ibrahim, Djivan Gasparyan, Carlos Nunez, Milton Nascimento, Ray Anderson ), his first performance at Tokyo's NHK Hall, his recent outdoor concert before 10,000 in the town square of Zurich, Switzerland where Andreas performed for the 70th birthday celebration of the Dali Lama, several full orchestral performances including one with the Sinfonia Varsovia (Yehudi Mneuin's acclaimed ensemble), and many other performances at locations through out Europe and Asia.

http://www.vollenweider.com/

CD! - Magical Journeys of Andreas Vollenweider

Released: Apr 4, 2006

01 Stella

02 Down to the Moon

03 Moonday

04 Pace Verde

05 The Woman & The Stone

06 Passionata

07 Under One Moon

08 Hush, My Heart Be Still

09 Night Fire Dance

10 Die Vogelpredigt

11 Micro-Macro

12 Under One Moon

13 Pearls & Tears

14 Princess Kira

15 The Play of the Five Balls

16 Seven Doors

17 Het You! Yes You

18 Pyramid

Andreas Vollenweider was one of the few musicians to gain superstar status as a "new age artist" back when the term was first used as a marketing category in the mid-'80s.

The Swiss harpist, however, quickly transcended the need for alternative record sales when his albums simultaneously broached Billboard's pop, jazz, and classical charts in 1986. Born in Zurich in 1953, Vollenweider was ensconced in the city's fine art scene, courtesy of his father, one of Europe's leading organists.

After becoming proficient on guitar, flute, and other instruments, the young Vollenweider developed a passion for the harp, which he modified to suit his needs. Not only did he construct a damper to expedite more rhythmic playing, he broadened the harp's tonal range by electrifying it. His buoyant funk beats, exotic pan-cultural influences, and colorful harp improvisations began to sweep Europe in the early '80s as Vollenweider signed with CBS Records to release Behind the Gardens...Behind the Wall.

Three albums later, he won his first Grammy for 1987's Down to the Moon. Over the years, Vollenweider has managed to maintain his artistic integrity and vision despite increasing commercial success. The harpist's 1991 album Book of Roses is a testament to his ability to expand his scope as a composer while keeping his trademark sound intact; after a lenghty hiatus, he issued Kryptos in 1998, followed two years later by Cosmopoly. ~ Linda Kohanov, All Music Guide

Some stuff I bought this past week:

Tangerine Dream-Tangents CD box-set. Electronic synth rock.

Crosby, Still, Nash & Young-Deja Vu CD. Best-of comp classic rock.

Bruce McCulloch-Shame-Based Man CD. Comedy album from Kids In The Hall

funnyman. The guy from Blue Rodeo does all the background music.

Popol Vuh-Nosferatu Soundtrack CD. Gorgeous instrumental stuff from the

under-appreciated Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski adaptation. Probably my

favorite vampire movie ever.

Steve that is great Janis.............Can I throw this at you, doesn't matter I'm going to anyway; How good could Janis have been IF she ever had a real good band behind her? She NEVER had a true bunch of musicians to back her up. On Cheap Thrills SHE is the show, she carried those guys, on Pearl she had a better band, but still not the band to carry her to a higher level......................Cheap Thrills is a Classic in every way, Janis just being Janis, but Big Brother and the Holding Company were not at the same level as Janis...........Please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to point out, a GREAT album, but Janis deserved a better band, Ah Yes, Summertime.....................just an old fart rambling...................

Budgie - Impeckable and Nightflight, Rock Music, CD

IMPECKABLE
1. Melt The Ice Away
2. Love For You And Me
3. All At Sea
4. Dish It Up
5. Pyramids
6. Smile Boy Smile
7. Im A Faker Too
8. Dont Go Away
9. Dont Dilute The Water

NIGHTFLIGHT
10. I Turned To Stone
11. Keeping A Rendezvouz
12. Reaper Of The Glory
13. She Used Me Up
14. Dont Lay Down And Die
15. Apparatus
16. Superstar
17. Change Your Ways
18. Untitled Lullaby

These guys were before their time, I see and hear their influence in Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden and others.

They both have their share of good rockers and a ballad or two, not many folks have heard of them but if you like rock music they are certainly worth a listen.

You can buy both albums on one CD here for $11.99, these were imports and tough to find. I have them both and it took me awhile to find them.

http://www.musiccdvideo.com/view/2316.html

As luck would have it I was at an estate sale today and picked up a

Delbert McClinton, "Room to Breathe". Love the blues cuts on this

but the country cuts were obviously mixed by somebody else, way too hot

a mix. Ssoon as I get a chance I'll pick up the recommended

cd. Thanks for the heads-up!

Steve that is great Janis.............Can I throw this at you, doesn't matter I'm going to anyway; How good could Janis have been IF she ever had a real good band behind her? She NEVER had a true bunch of musicians to back her up. On Cheap Thrills SHE is the show, she carried those guys, on Pearl she had a better band, but still not the band to carry her to a higher level......................Cheap Thrills is a Classic in every way, Janis just being Janis, but Big Brother and the Holding Company were not at the same level as Janis...........Please don't misunderstand what I'm trying to point out, a GREAT album, but Janis deserved a better band, Ah Yes, Summertime.....................just an old fart rambling...................

I know what you're saying, they were basically amateurs, but it worked all the same, and maybe that was part of the magic. A neighborhood bar band, and a neighbor girl, singin' the blues.

What makes the album really work is the base rawness and simpleness of the band. It's that very sparse, basic, simple, imperfect background that let's Janice come forward and be what she was.

I don't think Pearl measured up either, it might have worked with Paul Butterfield Blues Band backing her up, or some other such super star but ray blues group, but anything too polished would detract I think.

I loved Janice, warts and all.