Hey Colter! Wanna Make Some Money

BEC

"what on earth is a 'matched pair' of woofers? "

In this context I would think having the same date codes.

Magnets and dustcaps changed quite a bit in the later 70s and early 80s, yet all are marked K33E.

Biggest change that I know of is the change from square magnet to round magnet in 1985. Along with this change and perhaps having nothing to do with the magnet shape, the FS changed from 26 hz to 34 hz.

Bob Crites

that sounds like a pretty considerable difference Bob.

So it would not be adviseable to mix magnet structures with a pair of speakers?

I wonder how the same cabinet and tuning for say Cornwalls responds to the change in Fs- DOC!

Michael

Wow, that was the seller's lucky day.

I wonder if the buyer will actually come through on that auction. Nothing like paying $100 more for used when he could save that much and get the same thing brand new from Klipsch parts. Those aren't even the old coveted square magnet K33's.

Biggest change that I know of is the change from square magnet to round magnet in 1985. Along with this change and perhaps having nothing to do with the magnet shape, the FS changed from 26 hz to 34 hz. Bob Crites

Okay, I give up...I assume that 26 hz to 34 hz is the low end of the frequency range, but what does "FS" stand for?

Fs is the free air resonance of the cone. If you ran a test on the speaker outside of a cabinet, I think it could be described at the most efficient frequency of the woofer, usually a huge peak just before the curve dive bombs. It's one of the most important specs of a woofer to the cabinet designer, because the cabinet attempts to tame this peaky frequency.

(kindly correct if this is slightly off)

M

Ok, here it is from the Theil-Small papers

Free-air resonance, Fs, is the resonant frequency of the driver's

voice coil impedance with the driver suspended in free air (no

enclosure). The -3 dB frequency (F3) of an enclosure is proportional

to Fs.

Fs is the free air resonance of the cone. If you ran a test on the speaker outside of a cabinet, I think it could be described at the most efficient frequency of the woofer, usually a huge peak just before the curve dive bombs. It's one of the most important specs of a woofer to the cabinet designer, because the cabinet attempts to tame this peaky frequency.

(kindly correct if this is slightly off)

M

Well you try and make the fs out of the range of the caninet. The lower the fs does not mean the lower the speaker but it might enable the speaker not to resonate within it's frequency range. Its more important usually on the midrange/midwoofer, as those frequencies then to be the range where cabinet resonance can happen.