Does the Rotel 1095 amp performs as well as the Rotel 1080 amp?

gbrlex

I have been very pleased with the Rotel 1080 amp that I bought from fellow member Carl in St. Louis, and was thinking of going to the 5 channel Rotel 1095. Will I notice any difference in performance? I'm using KLF 30's and a C7 along with Forte II's as surrounds.

The damping factor on the 1080 is 1,000 while it's only 400 on the 1095. Does this make a difference.

I would appreciate any comments and/or recommendations.

Gary:

Glad you've been pleased with the 1080. Told 'ya that you would be........[:D]

I agree with Fish. I demoed a 1095 and could not really hear a major difference between the 1080 and 1095. There was less tight bass with the 1095, but I think that may be more a function of some slight compromise with the power supply (after all the 1095 is not exponentially larger like a true multi-channel monoblock - ala Sherbourn), but I think the 1095 is "almost as good" as the 1080.

One word of caution. When I was researching Rotel originally (and before I bought my 1080 and 1075), there were a number of ground loop stories circulating on the web about 1095s. Some of the earliest problems were not solved by traditional methods - even cheater plugs. Supposedly, any ground loop problems were cured with the newer models. If you are thinking about purchasing a pre-owned 1095, that may be food for thought.

Another thought would be to keep your 1080 and pick up a 1075 to do the center and surrounds. I know you would be only using three channels, but my former 1075 performed pretty well running RC-7s and then RF-3 (and/or RB75s) for surrounds. Just a thought.

Carl.

Thanks everyone for the your thoughts on the 1095.

Carl, the 1075 might be an option. I could use the other two channels to power by outdoor speakers. With the 1075, would the mismatch in wpc between the center (120)and front channels (200) make a difference? I am currently using an Adcom amp with 200wpc to the center and 100 wpc to the surrounds.

When I first hooked up the 1080, I had a ground loop that I was able to correct. I appreciate you letting me know about the potential problem with the 1095.

I really wish Rotel made a 1080X3. Are there any good 5 channel amps you would recommended over the 1095 to use with my Legends?

I would love to make your gathering this weekend. I'm sure you will have a great time.

I'm glad you didn't lose any equipment during the power surge.

Gary

"Carl, the 1075 might be an option. I could use the other two channels to power by outdoor speakers. With the 1075, would the mismatch in wpc between the center (120)and front channels (200) make a difference? I am currently using an Adcom amp with 200wpc to the center and 100 wpc to the surrounds."

Depends on your tastes, volume-wise. When you are running all five speakers and they are calibrated together, you will be limited by the 1075 - as far as how loud you can go. I have pretty loud tastes, and my 1075 was able to keep up enough with the 1080 with Reference seven series. But there were times where I thought that I was getting pretty much into the 1075 to do so. Never really heard any distortion for it, just less room for error - and less headroom.

Carl.

I have actual owned and used both amps. I even did a side by side comparison. The 1080 is a great amp. It is very quite and sounds good. You will hear a differnce by going to the 1095. It is not much of a differnce or non at lower levels, but at high levels is where you here the differnce. After some time you won't hear it anymore. There isn't a huge differnce, but if you listen to sacd or dvd-a you will hear less dynamics and it won't be as clean when all the channels are try to provide sound. Some movies you can hear a differnce.

Now that being said, if you don't have an outboard amp now the improvment in sound will out way the side effects. It is also a great amp and I recomend both to many people.

Now I run the 1090 for the mains and 1095 for the center and 5,6, and 7th channels. I have had many amps in the past and these I have found to very good amps for the money. I don't know if I ever will sell the 1090, it has so much power and is super clean.

I am currently using an Adcom 200 wpc amp for the center to go along with the 1080 for the fronts and Adcom 100wpc for the surrounds. I like the 1080 so much, I was hoping the 1095 would be equal in performance. My goal was to match the amps across the center and front channels.

I may just stay with what I have now. Are there any good 200 wpc 5 channel amps that sound great with the Legend series? I have KLF 30's and a KLF C-7 along with Forte II's for surrounds. I've been looking for another pair of KLF 30's or 20's to use as surrounds.