THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT COULD MAKE IT: Picky's BBQ, Saturday 8/26

picky

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Christ, we really coulda been brothers! I gotta get my HS grad picture up here for you.

Just a hint- you know how there's background around everyone's head in the photos for the yearbook? My hair took up the whole damn photo frame. My boy scout patrol at Jamboree was the Capt'n Afro Patrol! LOL The only guy with more hair in my HS grad class was Kenneth Edmunds (Babyface) cos he had a real afro!

M

Yeah, some say we do things, "For Duty and Humanity", while "I did it for Rock 'N Roll!"

Weirder things than this have happened due to rock. I'm just glad I'm still here to share the stories with you. Notice I am holding a can of "Red, White & Blue Beer"? Terrible stuff! But back then we were making so little money that "RWB" is all we could afford.

About that wild wallpaper: Our drummer and rhythm guitarist rented a house and I was standing in their kitchen. We used to practice in their basement. The band broke up a month later after our last week-long gig in Saginaw, Michigan. I cut my hair and got a real job: the one I still have today.

Here's a shot of me in the same house, but in the livingroom (more "nice" wallpaper) along with two of the band members (on each side of me) and a crew member (lousy lighting in this picture)...

post-10177-13819308060086_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Damm Picky you clean up nicely, your very lucky to have Mrs Rose with y'all. Looks like a great time, was it Mrs Picky that gave you that makeover, miss the old days ? [<:o)]

Great party and thread !

Hey Picky,

Sorry its taken so long for me to get on the forum and say thanks for having me and my lady. But, thank-you. I had a real good time and enjoyed the theater. We will definitly have to do it again sometime. I hated having to leave and after we got home her sister called and cancelled. I was less than happy. Thanks again and it was a real nice meeting everyone.

Mike

Thanks you guys.

oldbuckster: Yeah, the Rock n Roll persona has changed over the years, but so has the music. I still love the music along with most other forms of music. As far as not having any ink back then, it just wasn't as popular or as socially accepted as it is now. If I were a younger man today, I'm willing to bet I'd have a some needle art somewhere on the old bod. As for dope, it was plenty prevalent back then among some of the band members I'd worked with. But, I tended to stay away from that stuff and still do today. I didn't preach to anyone and always tried to lead by example. People are gonna do what they wanna do regardless of what I or someone else thinks about it. I tend to hang with folks that don't. Heck, most of my friends don't even smoke cigarettes. That wasn't a requirement, it just kinda wound up that way. I love being alive today. I think we live in one of the most amazing periods of history. I've been embracing technology since I was a young lad who got his first vacuum tube radio. Now, the possibilities are seemingly endless with the advent of the transistor, the microchip and the personal computer. I am SO loving the technology now! I have no desire to go back to way back when.....there was no HT! [;)]

dtel: You bet we are so lucky to have mom around! She is a real gem. I thank God for every day we get to spend with her. The amazing thing about Rose is her health and she may be getting a bit more forgetful, but she is in full charge of her faculties. BTW: Verna did not cut my hair or ask me to. I went to the barber shop and said to "cut it all off!" I walked out of there with a Princeton!

xdetroitx: No problem, Mike. It was a pleasure meeting and speaking with both of you. It's too bad about your plans being cancelled and I know you live a ways away from us but heck, you could have come back for the evening. We wound up watching the Klipsch Pilgrimage video and then watched the movie 'Sahara', which is always great! We didn't wrap things up until 11:30 pm! You and Alison are welcome any time. Just give us a holler now that you have our contact info.

Just as an after-thought: Today marks one week from the day we had the Klipsch BBQ. The house seems so empty today. We also wish we'd had one this weekend, too! [;)]

Thanks again to everyone who came. You made the day priceless for us and we hope you had a great time, too! -Glenn & Verna

Head of Hair, No piercings, No

Ink..........you call yourself Rockers?........Picky, funny how that

scene has changed...........Long Ago in a far different

world........When a nickel bag was a bag of

M+M's..............eh!!!............

Thanks you guys.

oldbuckster: Yeah, the Rock n Roll persona has changed over the years, but so has the music. I still love the music along with most other forms of music. As far as not having any ink back then, it just wasn't as popular or as socially accepted as it is now. If I were a younger man today, I'm willing to bet I'd have a some needle art somewhere on the old bod. As for dope, it was plenty prevalent back then among some of the band members I'd worked with. But, I tended to stay away from that stuff and still do today. I didn't preach to anyone and always tried to lead by example. People are gonna do what they wanna do regardless of what I or someone else thinks about it. I tend to hang with folks that don't. Heck, most of my friends don't even smoke cigarettes. That wasn't a requirement, it just kinda wound up that way. I love being alive today. I think we live in one of the most amazing periods of history. I've been embracing technology since I was a young lad who got his first vacuum tube radio. Now, the possibilities are seemingly endless with the advent of the transistor, the microchip and the personal computer. I am SO loving the technology now! I have no desire to go back to way back when.....there was no HT! [;)]

You'd actually be surprised how that much that actually still is the case in modern rock/metal scenes. Witness these two pictures of myself with members of Stratovarious, just from about a year ago:

me-kotipelto-porra.jpg

me-michael.jpg

I mean - check out the 'fro, on that guy (the drummer). No ink and no drugs! Just some totally kick-*** power/prog metal! But yeah, it does seem that the times has changed though.

Well, anyway - I guess if another BBQ oppurtunity come up, or if I happen to be in the area, I'll have to go look you up!

Steven: Thanks for sharing the photos of you and the band, "Stratovarious". Very cool! Yes, definitiely: if you are ever in the Detroit area, look us up.

Just one question: Dude! What's with the ORANGE PANTS? [;)]

Guys, I wasn't making fun or taking shots at any one, I always liked Longhaired Musicians of yesteryear, really. Todays Baldhead, Tatoo's for the sake of being Inked, Piercings all over, doesn't do much for me, it's so common place now, it has no shock value.Remember when Henry Rollins was the wild child, not anymore. Ozzie Osbourne was the Evil Bad Boy, even Gene Simmons, now they're MTV stars.......the scene has changed, I won't say it's better, maybe different...........Your right Picky, I don't want to go back........We're still standing, many have fallen.........Life is good, Buddy.........Just thinking out loud..............Maybe I will make it to your BBQ some day.........Would really like to see the Woodward Cruise, too.................

oldbuckster: Oh! No offense taken, my friend. Just expressing the differences is all. I've always stayed fairly progressive while many of my personal friends tend to stick with nostalgia, which I respect. That's fun for me for a while, but I always seem to find myself wondering what the "youngins'" are up to. I've always gotten along pretty well with all of the age groups. We have friends who are 20 and friends who are 86. I've discovered that all it takes is showing respect regardless of which group of folks you happen to be with. That respect is usually returned. Trying to maintain such an attitude has helped me cross some seemingly impossible lines, which has allowed me to gain a more profound understanding of what the current young crowd is really about, relative to music and entertainment, in general. Consequently, Verna and I have made many friends who are in their twenties and we now share some of their musical tastes, which I find refreshing. Conversely, it's funny, because most of our friends that are our own age, don't understand: "Why do you listen to that crap?" I feel like I'm being scolded by my father! "Stay diverse: Stay young in mind!" It's like a whole new experience, only now you know all the ground rules ahead of time. Don't get me wrong, we love to be with people our own age, but it's nice not to have any phobia's or prejudices stand in our way. That makes communication so much easier. -Glenn

Just one question: Dude! What's with the ORANGE PANTS? [;)]

Actually, those are a very nice pair of North Face treking shorts, which I found in the lost and found at the gym :)

It was hotter than Hades in that place that night, and thankfully, I was wearing those shorts!

Anyway, I'll be seeing Stratovarious again on the 1st of October at that same club (Jaxx in Springfield, VA). Those guys are just friggan awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, it was a pleasure to attend as always. I must pass a big thank you to Glenn and Verna for putting together this barbeque, and for their hospitality. ( a shower after working 9 hours and driving all night was a godsend )

It was also a pleasure to get to meet Rose, as last time I was down she was unfortunately in the hospital. Jennifer and I had a great time, although short, as I could only take a day off work. ( 45 hrs a week at my reg job, I also have a limo service/repair job occasionally, and work on the weekends...)

I am glad that I managed to get the beef across, I was going to bring a whole tenderloin as well, but I held off. I am just finally posting, this is the first time I have had access to the net in a while.

I miss everyone on this board, and will try to get a computer up and running and maybe the net by christmas.[:)]