Setting up the Custom Dynaco ST-70's - Help!!

The Dynacos are sitting at my door.

I am about to go hook em up. It was recommended to let the warm up before playing them..

1. for how long?

2. Is this to make them sound better, or can you damage tubes by playing them before they are hooked up.

Also, any other suggestions to a first time tuber....

Thanks, Paul

First of all, hook them up to the speakers on one end and the pre-amp on the other before you turn them on. Plugging in those RCA plugs while the amp is "live" can give you a bit more of a signal than you'd want. Plus some amplifiers don't like not having loads attached to their outputs.

As far as letting them warm up, my understanding is the amps sound better after they warm up and all the internal voltages stabilize. Purists wait up to half an hour. Me, I wait long enough to get the record out of the sleeve or the cd out of the jewel box. I've never hurt anything that way.

If this is the first time you're hooking them up, I'd let them idle for a few minutes to make sure no anti-social behavior is going to ensue. Things can happen in shipping, so you'll want it quiet to make sure nothing is humming, buzzing, blatting, or turning really red inside.

One last caveat. If your preamp, or anything "upstream" of the amps, has a turn-off "thump" you'll need to figure out how to turn the power amps off first. A tube amp will still pass a signal - like a turn off thump, for instance - for several seconds after it is nominally powered down.

You'll like the Dynaco. It's a great amp, especially for the money.

Thanks for the above...

I've got em all hooked up... THINGS ARE STARTIN TO GLOW. IT'W 156 DEGREES TODAY IN TEXAS, THE EXTRA HEAT IS GONNA BE GREAT. ME, THE WIFE, AND ME LOVES HERESY'S ( MY 12 YEAR OLD), ARE GATHERED AROUND LIKE IT'S A CAMPFIRE IN THE ARCTIC WILD...

MAN O MAN.....

IMA GETTIN ALL EXCITED LIKE...

WHAT TUNE AM I GONNA PLAY FIRST...

MAN, THE BIG DECISIONS IN LIFE... WHO TO MARRY, SHOULD WE HAVE KIDS, WHAT JOB SHOULD I TAKE ON AS A CAREER, WHERE TO PUT THE KHORNS AND THE LASCALA'S ALL IN ONE ROOM.... AND THEN EVEN BIGGER... WHAT SONG TO PLAY FIRST ON MY FIRST SET OF TUBES?

THE PRESSURE IS BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PAUL

[:D][:)]WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LISTENED TO DIRE STRAITS "BROTHERS IN ARMS" DVD-A.

THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST ALBUMS I EVER HAD, BACK THEN IT WAS ACTUALLY A CASSETTE...

I HEARD THINGS ON IT THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD ON IT BEFORE.

I SAT IN MY BIG OLE CHAIR IN THE SWEET SPOT WITH MY WIFE ON ONE ARM OF THE CHAIR AND MY 12 YEAR OLD, AKA, ME LOVES HERESYS, ON THE OTHER.

MY WIFE ACTUALLY GOT GOOSEBUMPS. SHE WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IN SOUND. I EXPLAINED TO HER THAT I HAD THE SAME EPIPHANY IN HOPE WHEN I HEARD TUBES FOR THE FIRST TIME ON MY KHORNS. SHE USUALLY CAN'T ALWAYS HEAR A DIFFERENCE IN THE VARIOUS CHANGES THAT I HAVE MADE WITH MY SYSTEM. SHE WAS JUST AWESTRUCK AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE!

SHE ACTUALLY TOLD ME TO GET ONTO THE COMPUTER AND FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET A TUBE PRE BOUGHT! RIGHT NOW I'M USING THE PRE PART OF MY MCINTOSH MX134, WHICH WHEN PUT ON STEREO ESSENTIALLY HAS A GREAT MAC SS PRE WORKING.

I GUESS I SHOULD MIND THE WIFE AND KEEP MY OUT FOR A TUBE PREAMP...

WHEN MAMA'S HAPPY, EVERYBODY HAPPY, AS MY PAPA ALWAYS TOLD ME.....

ANYWAY, I'M NOT ALWAYS THE BEST AT DESCRIBING THE AUDIO LINGO.... BUT, THE TUBES HAVE WARMED UP MY KHORNS JUST LIKE I WAS HOPING THEY WOULD. MY SS SOUNDS ALMOST TOO HARSH, BRASH, AND TINNY TO ME NOW. THE TUBES SEEM LIKE HONEY OR SOMETHING REALLY SMOOTH TO MY EARS. THE MUSIC JUST SEEMS TO OOZE OUT OF THE SPEAKERS, FILLING UP THE ENTIRE ROOM...

[;)]I NOW FULLY UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE ON THIS SITE SEEMS TO GO ON AND ON ABOUT HOW WONDERFUL THE TUBES ARE WITH THE KHORNS...

WARNING: SARCASM TO FOLLOW:

NOW, I'VE GOT MY EYES ON THESE $500 SET OF ROCKS IN A FILM CANISTER THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO ADD A BIG IMPROVEMENT TO THE GEAR. AND HOW IS THE SNAKE OIL BUSINESS THAT WAS STARTED HERE ON THE FORUM GOING. I'M PRETTY SURE MY CONNECTIONS COULD USE SOME...[6]

FINALLY, CLARENCE: GREAT JOB ON THE PACKING, THEY ARRIVED PERFECTLY INTACT.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN, PAUL

Great to hear you are happy, double gooder that your family is also sharing your happiness.

Your report of the tube impression is an attention getter.

remember too that once turned on...leave it on during your listening time...when you turn it off, leave it off until it cools...we can't turn our Tube gear on and off like SS stuff...bad for the Tubes...I didn't know this but suffered no ill effects from doing this once or twice before being duly scolded...want my Tubes and gear to last a good LONG time...enjoy (you sound like you are explaining my experience with Tubes v SS gear)

Enjoy and congratulations!

Bill

(is that JuicyMusicAudio Peach still for sale on this Forum???[;)])

Check the bias,it's been shipped, an the voltages change, from place to

place,then check it again after she's good an warm~30-60 minutes {you

can squeeze, a few more times in here, if ya want} before,again

at ~50 hours,again at ~100 hours,again at ~3-6 months,if turned off

leave off, until cool {power cycling} longer life,keep oily hands off

the

tubes, if oily clean them,longer life........warning tubes are hot kidds & adults.....

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/Dyna%20ST70%20manual.pdf

and check the bias when nothing is playing...I second the wait till they're warmed up before doing the biasing...dummy me biased after the VRDs had only been on for a bit...you guessed it...WAY out of spec and I just had to bring it back after they warmed...

Bill

can you damage tubes by playing them before they are hooked up.

Carefull ...

Damage ....???You Bet ..

they can Arc over internally

Smoke, toated screen resistors ..is just the start

Where the hell did you get this information from??? Tube amplifiers can play music within a minute or so of being turned on. It probably is not advisable to turn it up as loud as it can play until warmed up but your statements are silly. The only reason it takes a minute or so is the voltage has to rise enough for it to actually work.

Craig

[:D][:)]WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LISTENED TO DIRE STRAITS "BROTHERS IN ARMS" DVD-A.

THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST ALBUMS I EVER HAD, BACK THEN IT WAS ACTUALLY A CASSETTE...

I HEARD THINGS ON IT THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD ON IT BEFORE.

I SAT IN MY BIG OLE CHAIR IN THE SWEET SPOT WITH MY WIFE ON ONE ARM OF THE CHAIR AND MY 12 YEAR OLD, AKA, ME LOVES HERESYS, ON THE OTHER.

MY WIFE ACTUALLY GOT GOOSEBUMPS. SHE WAS AMAZED AT THE DIFFERENCE IN SOUND. I EXPLAINED TO HER THAT I HAD THE SAME EPIPHANY IN HOPE WHEN I HEARD TUBES FOR THE FIRST TIME ON MY KHORNS. SHE USUALLY CAN'T ALWAYS HEAR A DIFFERENCE IN THE VARIOUS CHANGES THAT I HAVE MADE WITH MY SYSTEM. SHE WAS JUST AWESTRUCK AT THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE!

SHE ACTUALLY TOLD ME TO GET ONTO THE COMPUTER AND FIGURE OUT A WAY TO GET A TUBE PRE BOUGHT! RIGHT NOW I'M USING THE PRE PART OF MY MCINTOSH MX134, WHICH WHEN PUT ON STEREO ESSENTIALLY HAS A GREAT MAC SS PRE WORKING.

I GUESS I SHOULD MIND THE WIFE AND KEEP MY OUT FOR A TUBE PREAMP...

WHEN MAMA'S HAPPY, EVERYBODY HAPPY, AS MY PAPA ALWAYS TOLD ME.....

ANYWAY, I'M NOT ALWAYS THE BEST AT DESCRIBING THE AUDIO LINGO.... BUT, THE TUBES HAVE WARMED UP MY KHORNS JUST LIKE I WAS HOPING THEY WOULD. MY SS SOUNDS ALMOST TOO HARSH, BRASH, AND TINNY TO ME NOW. THE TUBES SEEM LIKE HONEY OR SOMETHING REALLY SMOOTH TO MY EARS. THE MUSIC JUST SEEMS TO OOZE OUT OF THE SPEAKERS, FILLING UP THE ENTIRE ROOM...

[;)]I NOW FULLY UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE ON THIS SITE SEEMS TO GO ON AND ON ABOUT HOW WONDERFUL THE TUBES ARE WITH THE KHORNS...

WARNING: SARCASM TO FOLLOW:

NOW, I'VE GOT MY EYES ON THESE $500 SET OF ROCKS IN A FILM CANISTER THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO ADD A BIG IMPROVEMENT TO THE GEAR. AND HOW IS THE SNAKE OIL BUSINESS THAT WAS STARTED HERE ON THE FORUM GOING. I'M PRETTY SURE MY CONNECTIONS COULD USE SOME...[6]

FINALLY, CLARENCE: GREAT JOB ON THE PACKING, THEY ARRIVED PERFECTLY INTACT.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN, PAUL

Sounds like your having fun! That is great. Just imagine that is just a entry level tube amp to boot!

Craig