My Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1

SilverSport

Got my Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1 today, thought I would give my promised initial (and later further) reaction to it...first up...was packed perfectly by the previous owner...no damage to the double boxed and EVERYTHING was there as it came from the factory...open/close button on the unit is not working but perhaps that is a minor glitch...the remote is beautiful and allows perfect operation...

...just the first few tracks through the 640C...I am A/B'ing it to my mouse priced Toshiba DVD SD-3950 pressed into action as a CD player with knowledge learned right here on this Forum a year and some back...

...listening to a CD I know well...Eagles...Hell Freezes Over...CD not DVD or concert...

Love Will Keep Us Alive...perhaps a bit more detail than the Toshy...it seems that I need to turn the volume down just a touch on the Cambridge...build quality is MUCH better on the Cambridge...asthetics and remote are far better as well...

I have had the Toshiba for a bit longer than a year and some...some have reported that their Toshys bit the dust soon after this amount of time...I have really had no problems unless it was something I did to cause it...I paid almost four times as much for this Cambridge as I did for the Toshiba...I know I have loads more of listening to do but I expected more...perhaps I am doing something wrong or perhaps those Toshiba (and maybe the other ighty mites) were just far better than they should have been, I dunno...Listening to Hotel California cut right now and it might have a bit more meat to it, still...

I would love to hear any feedback or experiences you have to share.

Thanks,

Bill

(it might not seem like it but I do like my Cambridge...a bit down becuase some Klipsch speakers came today too and the corners are all busted up...)

Don't expect a good review considering what happened........give it a few days it will sound better..........better frame of mind........better sound.........Don't you find things sound better after a couple of days? What makes the Cambridge different than other CD players? Enjoy........you'll be glad you bought it!!!!

...okay, I have calmed down a bit...the EICO has warmed up and I am currently listening to another CD that I am very familiar with...this is an SACD, The Girl in the Other Room-Diana Krall...there is more bass as different things are vibrating in the next room where I am currently at by my computer (next bedroom)...Diana sounds a bit more forward and sounds louder than I am used to with the Toshiba SD-3950...perhaps just a bit brighter too??? I dunno yet and I hate to use any "audiosnob" terms so take that with a grain of salt...a bit more "open" and airy...sounds nice... :)

Bill

Don't expect a good review considering what happened........give it a few days it will sound better..........better frame of mind........better sound.........Don't you find things sound better after a couple of days? What makes the Cambridge different than other CD players? Enjoy........you'll be glad you bought it!!!!

Did you get your original Cambridge manual? In mine it said that after 15-30 minutes of playing a CD (not just simply being turned on) the sound will be at its best.

I too found that all music was much louder than either my old Denon CD player or my el cheapo Magnavox DVD/CD.

Bass output is exceptional. I guess when i think about it this is the least 'digital' sounding CD player that I've ever heard. It just has much more naturalness to it. You're actually listening to music, not a bunch of 0s and 1s being converted into a soundwave.

As far as what makes them different, I wish I would have snapped a couple of pics when I had the cover off of mine a few days ago. It looked like a tube setup! Nothing at all looked like they cut any corners just to save a few $$. Superbly built, I've never seen a CD player with that much attention to detail under the hood.

rcarlton...I knew I should have qualified that statement...the Diana Krall "Girl in the Other Room " CD is an SACD...I don't think the Cambridge plays SACD but it is my belief (perhaps I am wrong) that at least this particular SACD (bought by me by accident while looking for this CD) is made of better stuff...seems heavier/thicker than "normal" CDs gold colored to to differentiate it...it sounds great...perhaps that particular Diana Krall CD just sounds great...listening right now to The Jayhawks...Smile...sounds better than it did with the Toshiba...more bass and it is definitely louder (with no adjustment to the volume) and appears to have more openess (more space around the sound???) and more punch...anyway...except for the fact that the button to open and close the CD door on the unit itself won't work (but the remote button works just fine...)...I would conclude...based on what I am hearing right now that this purchase was worth it to me...hope your experience is similar.

Bill

sitting down to a plate of crow...listening to John Mayer "Heavier Things"...quite a bit more bass and punch...clean sound...louder...this through the EICO HF-81 (bass and treble set to "0") singing through the Quartets...I haven't even tried them with Craig's NOSValves VRDs and Mark's JuicyMusicAudio BlueBerry MkI yet...nice...crow is a bit bitter but I think I'll continue chewing a bit...[;)]

Bill

I have the 640C v1 as well and for the price agon $250 it was a steal. In fact at this years Hope gathering it was what we listened to in the small room. I am biased and like the CDP perhaps someone who was there could comment.

Try not to trick yourself in to liking it to justify the expense. I know I have in the past on certain items. Louder isn't necessary better to "your" ears. Also I used to own a very cheap Toshiba dvd player, and for some reason it sounded warm. Using the exact same DAC's in my reciever at the time like a transport. I would switch over to my Onkyo and it would seem louder but not what I liked. I have a used AMC, and NAK right now for cd listening. I'm only using the AMC it seems very smooth except for a handfull of recordings.

well I was A/B'ing it with the same songs back to back between the Toshiba and Cambridge...I won't get "star struck" I would just get angry and then feel it was my duty to warn others if I truly felt that there was nothing there to justify the extra cost...is listening to several CDs...it is clear to me that the Cambridge has more ooomph...I only noted the volume jump because at the same usual volume, I need to turn the EICO down a tad 'cuz it is louder...I am no audiophile, I just like what I like...I like to hear what others say about a product to help me when I cannot listen myself but in many cases, I have made good decisions for me...

Bill

I think the difference in CD players can be very subtle and a lot of time is needed to note the changes. Some will also sound better with a certain genre. Diana Krall may sound great but U2 sound like crap or vice versa.

In an ideal world, you would audition several players, in YOUR house, with the help of someone so that you couldn't tell which was playing.

Obviously this isn't practical and nobody really buys a player this way, but you would eventually pick the one that sounded best to you. I'll bet some of us would save a lot of cash this way:)

• Like 1

listening to Cowboy Junkies...The Trinity Session right now...sounds great...incidently, when I compared the Toshiba to my 17 year old Yamaha CD player, the Yammie too had more bass but it skipps and the door doesn't work all the time...17 years...

I agree with what you say about trying the different pieces in your own home...some do that, I have never been able to do that...I must rely on what I know, reputation of the equipment and anecdotal information to make my decision...then once it is in my possession, I try it out on my own ears...if I don't make a good choice, I need to move the item on (difficult for me to do), keep it and be frustrated with my purchase or trade it an incredible loss to try something else...

Bill

I like to hear what others say about a product to help me when I cannot listen myself but in many cases, I have made good decisions for me...

Bill

I certainly don't think you went wrong with a Cambridge Azure 640c. I almost bought one myself. I was in need of a new CD player since the one in my bedroom crapped out (a really cheap Koss portable). I decided to move the old 15 year old Sharp DX-200 (which still works perfectly) and get something really nice for the main system. Yes, I could've used my DVD player as a CD player, but I am still pretty old school in thinking that I'd rather have a dedicated CD player instead, as I've just not heard any (at least at the time) DVD players that sounded as good as a decent dedicated CD player.

After hearing all the good talk about this Cambridge Audio Azure 640c, I went about seeing if anybody around here had one. I was willing to pay the full retail price if need be for a brand new unit. The only reason I didn't is because I went to the "wrong" dealer first. The first dealer, a Tweeter near my house, as I found out, does not carry Cambridge Audio equipment. At the time, I could not think of anybody else in the immediate area that would have them, and not feeling like fighting traffic to head up into D.C. to look for a dealer, I settled for the best thing they did have in stock, a Denon DCM-380 5-disk changer, for around $320 or so (which is still more than I payed for my JVC DVD player I had at the time (also since replaced by a Pioneer harddrive based DVD recorder)). I took it home, set it up, and went and played with it for a little bit. The differece between the old Sharp was immediate, and I really did like what I heard. It had a very nice clean, neutral sound that I really liked.

Well, later on, I decided to head into town to hit the local Carl's Ice Cream stand as well as take a walk along the river (it was a beautiful spring Saturday afternoon, after all). On the way there, I saw that Raven Hi-Fi and Home Theater outfit and figured - what the hell, I am going to see what they have! Well, guess what? As soon as I walked into the door, I was greeted by a pair of cherry RF-7s, hooked up to an Conrad-Johnson tube amp, and for the source - you guessed it - a Cambridge Audio Azure 640c player! I am like, "F#$*! I should've came here first - friggan forgot about this place!" Of course, I had to get the owner to play that for me (after running out to my truck to get a CD), especially since it was hooked up to at least a pair of RF-7s. It sounded friggan divine! I was now at a quandary - should I go and return the Denon and spend nearly twice as much for the Cambrige? For now, I decided to hang onto the Denon, plus I do like the convience of having the 5 disk changer as well.

But still, as I am sitting here, listening to my Denon DCM-380, I cannot help to think if the Cambridge Audio unit is really that much better. I may have to go back over there and at least see if he'll at least loan me the 640c, so I can do a side-by-side comparison. Well, if the Denon ever craps out, I at least know where I should hopefully find my next CD player. I still think that Cambridge unit is an awesome piece, and I hope you enjoy yours. I think in the end, you did indeed make the right decision. If not, and you want to unload it - I may just go and buy it off you! [:)]

Bill isn't that crow alittle Blah tasting?..............Enjoy Bud, you did fine...........

FISH how is it that there is a clear cover on your CD player.......is there a reason for it....It really looks good ....so you can see inside..........Did it come that way......or did you make it somehow...........can't say I've ever seen that before........Interesting.........