My Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1

SilverSport

oldbuckster...yes, the crow tasted terrible...had enough...as for the Azur 640C v1...listened to Dire Straits...Brothers In Arms...nice (older CD, had to goose the volume back just a bit), if anyone is looking for one of these, there have been several on audioGon...right after I bought this one, a v2 came up in perfect condition for $35 bux more than I paid...I checked back and I don't see it but there are a few v1s on there still...

Anyone here know if it might be a quick fix or have any ideas why the button for the open close door would not work when the remote works fine as does the "play" button on the unit at closing the door??? Might it be as simple as reconnecting a wire (yes, I'm simple...I bet it's more than that...[;)])...I don't want to root around under the hood and damage anything but this part bugs me...

Thanks

Bill

For those that have posited or asked...I don't believe I am suffering the palcebo effect on this purchase...as you might have taken at first blush I was a bit mad when I didn't seem to hear much difference between the new Cambridge 640C v1 ($290 delivered) and the Toshiba SD-3950 ($75 delivered)...a bit more listening with very familiar CDs have shown me the following:

Cambridge: Pros-Superior build quality, more bass, more-louder sound at the same volume level on amp, airier, more open sound, more punch. Decent price off the "pre-driven" market

Cons-Pre Driven market resulted in a near perfect unit with the open close button on the unit that doesn't work. Nearly 4 times the price of the Toshiba (nearly 6 times if purchased new)

Toshiba: Pros-Inexpensive price, very nice sound; period, can be modded if you are so inclined for even better sound (Blackgate). Can play movies as well as CDs

Cons-Difficult to find on the used market still working, cheap build quality

Good luck with your choices.

Bill

oldb,I found that pic on the internet,I'd say it's from the electronics show.You can find many different units with this setup to show guts,I have a clear rsw15 somewhere,really cool.

Bill,sorry to hear about your button,I hope you were made aware by the seller.I buy used sometimes but it must be close to 1/2 price or I'll go new.I got my 640c for $343,30 day return,full warranty and knowledge no one has done anything I would not do with the unit(set on top of amps etc).It could be something as simple as the button not making proper contact,I'd check inside if it were me.

nope...he said it worked fine when he sent it, it works fine with the remote but not the button on the unit itself...it was insured USPS...I am checking their website for further...thanks,

Bill

Bill, This has happened to me before and on both sides of the sale. What I usually do (or offer) is to check with the company, Cambridge in this case, about either a warranty repair or the cost of a repair, and work out a deal with the seller to get it fixed. WAY WAY WAY easier than UPS and most reputable A'gonners are cool with it.

nope...he said it worked fine when he sent it, it works fine with the remote but not the button on the unit itself...it was insured USPS...I am checking their website for further...thanks,

Bill

Bill, This has happened to me before and on both sides of the sale. What I usually do (or offer) is to check with the company, Cambridge in this case, about either a warranty repair or the cost of a repair, and work out a deal with the seller to get it fixed. WAY WAY WAY easier than UPS and most reputable A'gonners are cool with it.

Bill, congrats on your purchase.[Y]

Can't understand why the eject button on your 640C is inoperative, unless it got that way during shipment(?)...I agree, contact the seller and Cambridge Audio's service dept. and see what they tell you. I've never experienced any problems with mine yet, and it was an AudioAdvisor demo unit!

I think the difference in CD players can be very subtle and a lot of time is needed to note the changes. Some will also sound better with a certain genre. Diana Krall may sound great but U2 sound like crap or vice versa.

In an ideal world, you would audition several players, in YOUR house, with the help of someone so that you couldn't tell which was playing.

Obviously this isn't practical and nobody really buys a player this way, but you would eventually pick the one that sounded best to you. I'll bet some of us would save a lot of cash this way:)

MBM,

I get your point but just for the record...excellent with Diana Krall (Girl in the Other Room) and U2 (Best of...1990-2000)...currently listening to US and I am hearing bass through the Quartets that previous to this (Toshiba SD-3950) did not register...and I had zero complaints with my bass performance from the Toshy through the Quarts...very happy with this purchase for the most part...

Bill

I listened to the Cambridge in the small room in Hope, it was hooked up to my Khorns. It did sound wonderful. My current set up is a Samsung universal player.

It sounds great with DVD A, AND SACD, but Redbook CD's sound rather shrill, tinny, or something like that.

OK, here's a question: if you are using the RCA cables, the CD player is using its DAC.

If you are using the coaxial or the optical, the digital signal is being sent to the preamp, processer, reciever. It is then using its DAC to decode.

When compared to the DAC in the CD player vs the pre/pro, what are the differences in quality of the DAC?

On purely analog preamps, obvoiusly the RCA is the only option, but like with my MX 134 McIntosh, I can bring the signal in either with digital or analog.

So, any experiences with the DAC's in CD players, pre/pro's, or even an external DAC?

Paul

I'm not sure what your asking, but here's an answer anyway........for years my Sony XA 1 ES CDplayer was connected with RCA plugs, sounded good, don't laugh now, never understood what optical was for, never used it, then oneday I bought an optical cable, hooked her up, and I've been happy ever since.............I THINK it sounded cleaner and better to me.............if you have the chance to try it on your unit go Optical.......Just my take on it.........I know someone will correct me, and tell me I'm wrong...................So, what else is new???........................

Currently, I have it hooked up both ways, with rca's and optical. The rca's are hooked up for the sake of SACD and DVD A, and can also be used as stereo with reg. cd.

The optical is hooked up for cd, dvd, etc. The 2 inputs do sound different. I currently prefer the optical also, but this may be because my player isn't all that great, so I guess the McIntosh DAC is doing the decoding.

If it is later hooked up to a preamp that does not have a decoder, ie: no optical or coaxial inputs, the decoding would be taking place in the player itself. Then the quality of the player would become more important I suppose

Any thoughts?

Paul

The manufacturer (Wadia) of my separate CD-only transport and DAC links the two with glass optical cables for quality transmission of digital signals. That was quite a departure from old-fashioned RCA leads for me. I would think it depends on which arrangement sounds better, since DACs can vary in quality. I would certainly give the optical a try.

lc

I'll check my remote to see if that button works. There are lots of buttons on the remote that do not work as it is a universal for all the Azur line.

I noticed a big difference in sound quality going from a Sony CDP to the Azur. The thing I noticed after listening to a couple favorite cds was it seemed to be quieter during certain passages on songs that previously had a little background noise.

Cambridge got back to me and they think perhaps the contact disconnected and it will need service...I need to take it to a service area (I pay and hopefully reclaim from USPS) or fix it myself (I am not really sure how to do that unless I open it and I void any warranty if I open it...)

Bill

When compared to the DAC in the CD player vs the pre/pro, what are the differences in quality of the DAC?

On purely analog preamps, obvoiusly the RCA is the only option, but like with my MX 134 McIntosh, I can bring the signal in either with digital or analog.

So, any experiences with the DAC's in CD players, pre/pro's, or even an external DAC?

Paul

My receiver does not have a digital input, and in listening to the different CD players I've had through the years its obvious that there is a noticeable difference between different DACs. I would imagine that the DAC in your McIntosh is very nice considering the McIntosh name.

As with anything, some people might like the sound of certain DACs or equipment better than others. My cheap Magnavox DVD/CD player sounds very bad with CDs compared to my Cambridge. I wish I did have a digital input on my receiver instead of having to rely on the Magnavox's DACs.

Sure,

Currently, I am going with the Samsung cd/dvd with digital optical, the Mac then uses its DAC. In this set up, the samsung is essentially a transport i suppose.

Sounds good.

Eventually, I am wanting to get a tubed preamp to go with the tube amp. It will only have rca inputs, not digital. Therefore, the DAC on the player will be doing the conversion from digital to analogue. I would imagine that in this set up, the qual. of the player is more important.

For example, players like to advertise that they have the latest greatest DAC out there, ie: Burr Brown, etc with this or that sample rate at 96/ 24, whatever. This comes in to play when the player is doing the decoding and you are using the rca's as outputs, Correct.? I suppose that this is when the qual of my Samsung and a player like the Cambridge becomes more noticeable.

Paul

I know what you are saying but I can't explain how in the supply line this works on Home Theater but I do know how it works right now with my EICO HF-81 and the Cambridge...no DACs in the EICO so I am hearing the Wolfson DAC of the Cambridge...now with my HT system, I am not sure if I am using the Sony DAC or the Outlaw DAC...

Bill