Do I Need a Crown?

Zen Traveler

Dang, thems some mighty high claims to be making of these amps! I extremely love the concept driving the XTi's and have been looking for solid reviews of home listening.

I would be very interested in your perception of their biggest sonic shortcomings.

Biggest sonic shortcomings...probably overall ultimate detail. Compared to an ultra high rez amp like a 4BSST, the XTi comes up a bit short (then again so does everything else in the range). Would I use one in a dedicated 2 channel setup? Probably not. But for home theater, with all that horsepower on tap and an entire stack of them costing fractions of what many big name audiophile brands cost...they will certainly make most folks grin from ear to ear.

Other complaints? Only two...the XTi4000 is perpetually sold out from Crown (they flat out can't keep up with demand) and they are pro gear so they are bloody unprofitable [;)].

Dang, thems some mighty high claims to be making of these amps! I extremely love the concept driving the XTi's and have been looking for solid reviews of home listening.

I would be very interested in your perception of their biggest sonic shortcomings.

Biggest sonic shortcomings...probably overall ultimate detail. Compared to an ultra high rez amp like a 4BSST, the XTi comes up a bit short (then again so does everything else in the range). Would I use one in a dedicated 2 channel setup? Probably not. But for home theater, with all that horsepower on tap and an entire stack of them costing fractions of what many big name audiophile brands cost...they will certainly make most folks grin from ear to ear.

Other complaints? Only two...the XTi4000 is perpetually sold out from Crown (they flat out can't keep up with demand) and they are pro gear so they are bloody unprofitable [;)].

Sorry to hijack the thread , but Kevin since it's been 2 months since our last correspondance did you find out anything ?

You can PM me so that it doesn't take away from this thread .

Willy

• 1 month later...

I highly recommend the QSC PLX stuff for Reference --...

Hey Dean

Thanks for the tip on the QSC PLX stuff. I am seriously considering it.

Right now I am playing Depeche Mode's Concert DVD "Touring the Angel" and I am mesmerized at the experience. [H] I wasn't a fan when I was younger but their re-releases in multi channel audio (DTS/DD disks) along with their concert videos have made me a fan, but I digress...

The only upgrades I have considered are a larger amp (one or more 2 channels) and your crossovers. The last "upgrade" I made on my current system was a couple of years ago when I switched out my RS-7's (now my B surrounds) to what I have currently, the RB-75's for rear surrounds. It was more or less a lateral move in that situation.

I am totally enamored with my Home Theater but am always contemplating if it can get any better. Could you answer these questions:

1) Being a multi-channel person-- would your upgrades be beneficial for my RF-7's?

2) Would I more than likely want to have at least my RC-7 upgraded as well (Or any other speakers in my set up)?

{note: I have tried my RB-75's in the place of my RF-3 surrounds but I prefer the towers. I may get a pair of RF-5's but am happy with the RF-3's. I sit 4 ft away from them so Imo, another pair of RF-7's would be too large.[:o]}

3) If I get a 2 channel amp for my RF-7's will I notice that my speakers could (read: would need to) benefit from your cross-over upgrade compared to what I am experiencing now?

I would appreciate your insight if you get the chance.

Hey Dean

Thanks for the tip on the QSC PLX stuff. I am seriously considering it.

Ditto on the QSC PLX. Dean pointed me that direction, and I have run QSC PLXs with RF-7s and now Heritage (Belles for the moment). Even when running two QSCs in an open air rack (mains and center), the fans just are not that noisy.

I still love my push-pull tube amps, but QSC PLXs reminded me that moderately-priced solid state can also sound pretty good.

Carl.

I picked up a crown k2 recently on e-pay for 670.00 bux /great condition.

i hooked it up to my heresys and OH MY GOD! they sounded so much better than being driven by my sony db830 receiver. now im looking at getting amps for the speakers because the k2 will be for subwoofer duty.

I agree the Crown K1/K2 amps are excellent.

It's amazing that even though you had a "nice" 100 wpc Sony, the Crown blew it away. How do you describe what is different about it? Can't be just "louder."

• 7 years later...