"Premium" Speaker Cable- - My Family's Test

easyeyes

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hee, hee, hee...this is like playing Bulletin Board Jenga. Which post will put it over the edge?

Actually, I'd miss Mobile and his insightful posts. Hope the gun he's holding to his head is only loaded with pearls of wisdom, and not bullets...

BTW, all wire sounds the same (only kidding!)

Chickey

------------------

My System

Thankfully Mobile answered my question on my new tubes before you lunatics hit the 5 page mark.

And now for the Quantum approach (meet Schroedinger's cat time folks!!)

Direct observation has an effect on the system being observed (dont take my word for it - Schroedinger's full theory

Therefore the only valid test is to hear the cables indirectly (use of a stereo system with source and amp at one end and speakers at the other is ideal).

Obviously you cannot use measuring devices (thanks to that cat) so you will just have to listen, casually, and not observe the improvement in sound.

Is that clear?

Good

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Prana---Who believes what they see and here on television? Speak for yourself. :-) Hell, I find The History Channel often in error even, and Steven Ambrose, if I see that sanctimonious phony on TV again I'm gonna barf. And Tom Hanks, what, he makes a war movie and now he's the official spokesman for WW II? (Not counting the Pacific or The Russian Front which were, as Ambrose, Hanks and Spielberg assure us, some other war.) I was catching Ambrose in error in books he wrote 25 years ago (not to mention his plagarism). It's like this Prana: you tell me you hear a difference in something, I don't hear it. Now as Groucho said "You gonna believe me or what you see?". This works both ways of course. I'd rather talk about BIG HORNS anyway.

MaxG. That's obviously gobbledycook inspired by decadent Medizing thought and not worthy of a descendant of Leonidas, Themistocles, Pausanias and Epaminondas. What would Agisilaus think, tough old practical bird that he was? :-) Did the Spartiate Heroes die in The Pass fighting the whole of Asia for such thoughts? For such thoughts did the Bold Men of Athens, Hoplite and Freeborn Rower alike, defend Freedom in The Sacred Bay of Salamis and confound mighty Xerxes in anguish upon his throne? Please, if you Greeks get weird the rest of us poor ba-ba barbarians are truely lost. Especially us uncouth Northerners; Norman, Saxon, Dane or Celt, who cooked with butter and drank beer. :-)

cwm1.gif

regarding:

"To each, their own hell?"

mdeneen,

nice graphics on your overlapping booleans, and I guess those three large areas would also take into consideration the relativity of perception and psychological hallucination etc. in that politics, religion, and science all must at some point deal with perception and the mysteries of how cognitive gestalts are actually formed. Its all in our head. no?

Any way, great color choices.

-Kalif and Shah

Tbren - wow, good summary...is it yours or did you copy it from somewhere.

AS for me supporting Quantum Theory, it is my view that at some point in the past Physics changed from being a concise attempt to explain what is going on around us to this new system where easily explainable things are made unintelligible by their explanation.

And I still believe cables make a difference!!

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

P.S. I can hear people asking, "What does ANY of this B.S. have to do with speaker wire?" To which my answer would be absolutely everything, and positively nothing.

Agreed. The point is, when dealing with the "boundaries of the knowledgeable" or in other words, with matters in which the opinion of the people seems to be more important than the raw data (because no one knows exactly how to represent that data, or even more, what exactly is that data), one have to take the next natural step, and find what is really going on.

If one don't do this, one will end with a dogma (An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true).

This message has been edited by Manuel on 01-25-2002 at 07:00 PM

I wonder if Mr. of Tarsus' Eyes.gif use of the word translated as "shame" ever contemplated that he was saying the same thing Jesus was saying. Would he agree that if God chose those things to "shame", the Devil Wavey.gif is responsible for the master-slave dialectic? And, who's responsible for these animated smilie thingies? They rock my p Eyes.gif per!

Manuel, mucho gusto, you're right: dogma really sucks. Very useful, but ultimately destined for mediocrity and tyrannical tendencies. Wavey.gif (isn't that a good name for a band?)

Religion and science? Is poetry or shenanigans taken? Just put me wherever Sean Young is. (Any word on my proposal?) Anaximander said that speaker cables and their obvious differences are made of the indistinguishable....

I was just about to place a row of hammering smilie faces for y'all's entertainment, but then I read that too much is annoying sometimes. You're welcome.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

The MITs do have a "network" attached to them. I don't believe it is a typical EQ, because it does seem to slowly modulate itself over time to a new setting each time a different speaker and amplifier combination is used with it. It does audibly rid the line of signals that result in a confused image and extra distortions. If you believe the literature (and some of the things you see on TV), MIT says that they are making sure that the signal the leaves your amplifier is not affected by the small magnetic fields that the cable my encounter along the way (power cords, your TV, other amplifiers etc.). They have also analized the substance that the cable is made of and have corrected for the loss at each frequency through the length of the cable (the Equalization that you speak of). Finally, they have mostly encased the cable in rubberized plastic that will keep the oxydization to a minimum keeping the flow of surface electrons uniform.

Cable or wire. Equalization, filter, whatever. Great sound? YES.

Certainly no need for anyone to off themselves.

Wow, 183 posts on speaker cable. Initially, I entered this not generate so many posts but simply to say that I recognized the difference that my "premium cable" made to the sound that I hear from my speakers.

I wonder how many of those advocating the scientific approach and sealed room tests have actually tried the so-called cable on their system. I'm an avid reader of any material/information relating to anything that I'm involved in as we all are, but with so many opinions on cable; how can one come to a substantiated conclusion without trying it for themselves?

In an earlier thread someone mentioned that the founder of the horn-loaded speaker, PWK himself wasn't very fond of premium cable. His belief was that any lamp cord material or the likes would work. I wonder how he feels today considering that the company that was founded on his beliefs is now including "premium" wire on the inside of its new, top of the line speakers. Surely, if someone appreciates the difference that wire inside the speaker would make, why not the wire on the outside?

Again, it's really nice to hear so many varied opinions for and against "premium cable". Some are really persuading and heart felt but I'm a very simple type of individual, I'll continue to let what I hear be the determining factor on what I purchase for my system.

EasyEyes

"I'll continue to let what I hear be the determining factor on what I purchase for my system."

I doesnt get any more clearer than that. And ultimately, it's really that simple. For better or worse. Richer or poorer. Till death or bad sound or bad review, do we part...

Indeed.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>