Is 7.1 Worth it

RM1111

Hey Guys and Girls. I was just wondering if 7.1 or 6.1channel is worth it. Right now I have a 5.1 setup with the RF7 lineup. I recently got a good deal on 3 RS7 to complete my setup and was thinking about selling the third RS7 or maybe trying to find a single RS7. If I do go to 6.1 or 7.1, I will need to purchase a another 2 channel amp. Its about 70/30 for movies/music. How many movies out there are in 6.1 or 7.1. So, is it worth the money to go 6.1 or 7.1. I have a Rotel RMB 1095 and a Rotel RSP 1068 running my system.

Thanks,

Ray

I've wondered the same thing and face the same dilemma. Some of the industry professionals I've spoken are pretty candid and can't really recommend it saying that there is very little discreet information encoded for the rear channels. They also say many of thier clients are focusing on 5.1. Or that 7.1 is difficult to execute in a smaller room. In a dedicated HT room 7.1 is easier to work out, but in a multifunctional living space such as a family room, 5.1 seems to often work out better with minimum penalty. At the very least it would seem that a 6.1 or 7.1 rear would demand a minimal expenditure of resources.

In a similar vein as this question, I recently listened to a DTS demo with a jazz band where the rear channels were used for discrete instuments, placing the listener in the middle of the band rather than facing the band. A little disconcerting at first, but once the paradigm shift was made, pretty enjoyable. I think with the emergence of higer resolution media (blue ray, HD-DVD) there will be more surround sound productions that will be mixed to be heard with primary rather than ambient information in the rear channels. I'm already seeing releases on DVD of live performances like this, and I think there will be more as the technology develops, producer grasp the medium, and engineers are given more latitude.

So a related question for me is: would it be better to commit to a 5.1 platform and use full range speakers for the rears?

Room size will partially dictate a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. However, there are many movies in DTS ES and DD EX which are 6.1. DTS ES is a discreet format where as the 6th channel is not a matrix of the L&R surrounds like the DD EX format. I have ran both setups and prefer the fullness of the 7.1 setup. Keep in mind that in a 7.1 setup the rear channels output the the same signal. So if the source is DTS ES the 2 rears make up one discreet channel and DD EX it makes up one matrix channel...confused.lol

Also theree are several DTS ES surround music cd's out there too.

scooter

In my situation a 5.1 fully horn loaded system except for the sub is overwhelming in my 22 X 16 room . I can't see how adding 2 more channels could improve it !

Sun, You are right on the money.....with your set-up the two extra speakers might not be worth it..........I've done 6.1 on my meager system, and to be truthful with you, I would rather have a Great 5.1 set-up, than a so-so 6.1, and 7.1 just adds another speaker to 6.1......Bottom line......what ever sounds best to the owner is all that matters, no matter what you do, Home Theatre is Great......5.1...6.1...7.1.....Just ENJOY.........

Say what you will but there is more content back there then you think. Most DVD's these days are released with DD EX and DTS ES soundstracks and those at 5.1 are missing out on that additional information and effects content. You are fooling no one but yourself regardless of the size of the room because of where your rear effects/center speakers are placed.

Very noticeable in the Star Wars movies, and even the re-releases of Toy Story and Toy Story 2 that are done in DTS-ES.

My NAD T163 has the ability to upramp all soundtrack to DD EX, when not running in the digital domain I run at 7.1 matrix so my rear effects/centers are always working. The NAD also has two dedicated subwoofer outputs so I am running in 7.2. Don't think it makes a difference come give it a listen and you shall see.

Thanks for the replies. I will probably go to 7.1 in the near future. Right now I have 2-RS 25 that I can use them for 7.1 or should I try to find a single RS7 to match the rest of the speakers or Try to find a pair of RB75s. Which way to go.

ray

Most people do not like sound coming from behind them as they find it freaky and scary. Just a thought.

LOL... sometimes, that's the whole point!!

Whether or not there are many discrete 6-7.1 soundtracks means little to me. Thats why there are receivers that can process a 5.1 signal into a matrixed 7.1 format. To me, it makes a big difference, and I wouldnt have it any other way[:D]

Watching movies in 7.1 ROCKS!! For me, the difference is obvious, and sometimes shockingly so!! There is nothing like the experience of watching a scary movie late at night, and getting creeped out from behind.......LOL

I agree: Good call.

I also want to dispell one theory brought forward here that 7.1 is a waste unless your room is big:

Our room is 10.5' W x 19' L, in other words, it is TINY! We have 7.1 and when playing our High Definition movies on our JVC D-VHS digital high def videotape recorder, those rear channels really wake up and go to work! Movies such as U571 become "scary-realistic", especially when you her the click of the depthcharges and you know what coming next........ BA-BOOM!

7.1 works just fine, regardless of your room size. If you don't believe it, come'on over and I'll prove it to ya! [;)]

xdetroitx: Hey Mike: Thanks a bunch for that list of 6.1 movies! Very cool!