Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Sept. 5

thebes

The Forum was acting very glitchy yesterday so I couldn't get this up.

But it doesn't matter anyway because it's a new month and we have a winner. Give a hearty round of applause to:

Wheelman

Winner of a Klipsch tie-tac and BS button. PM or email an address and I'll get this right out.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Los Lonely Boys, "Sacred", rock, cd

The boys are back with their sophmore release. Part pop, part

harmony and part Santana it even features a short vocal by Wilie

Nelson. Not as good as their first effort but not to shabby

either. If you like their stuff you'll like this. If you haven't

heard them before, pick up their self-titled first release.

So what do you have to share this week?

1973. Joe Walsh

The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get LP and CD

A continuance of the "made loud to be played loud" theme.

d5808647pv3.jpg

This album introduces "Rocky Mountain Way".

Joe Vitale, drums, flute, backing vocals, keyboards, and synthesisers, Kenny Passarelli, bass and backing vocals, Rocke Grace, keyboards and vocals and the legendary Bill Szymczyk producing.

Turn it up!

When you think of George Harrison, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison what group comes to mind?

Yes the Traveling Wilburys!!!

If you like the sound of the above artists then you must find and buy these CD's.

Yes... another must have selection from Greg!

Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1

# Audio CD (October 25, 1990)

# Original Release Date: October 25, 1988

# Label: Wilbury Records

Posted Image

01 . Handle With Care

02 . Dirty World

03 . Rattled

04 . Last Night

05 . Not Alone Anymore

06 . Congratulations

07 . Heading for the Light

08 . Margarita

09 . Tweeter and the Monkey Man

10 . End of the Line

Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 3

# Audio CD (October 19, 1990)

# Original Release Date: October 19, 1990

# Label: Wilbury Records

Posted Image

01 . She's My Baby

02 . Inside Out

03 . If You Belonged to Me

04 . Devil's Been Busy

05 . 7 Deadly Sins

06 . Poor House

07 . Where Were You Last Night?

08 . Cool Dry Place

09 . New Blue Moon

10 . You Took My Breath Away

11 . Wilbury Twist

VH1 BIOGRAPHY

Reversing the usual process by which groups break up and give way to solo careers, the Traveling Wilburys are a group made up of solo stars. The group was organized by former Beatle George Harrison, former Electric Light Orchestra leader Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, and Roy Orbison, thus representing three generations of rock stars. In 1988, the five (who had known each other for years) came together to record a Harrison B-side single and ended up writing and recording an album on which they shared lead vocals. It turned out to be a way to transcend the high expectations made of any of them as individuals, and a delighted public sent the album to number three, with two singles, "Handle With Care" and "End of the Line" hitting the charts. Unfortunately, Orbison died of a heart attack only a few weeks after the album's release.

Two years later, the remaining quartet released a second album, inexplicably titled Vol. 3. Although it didn't match the success of the first Wilburys album, it was another million-selling hit. Throughout the '90s, there were rumors of another Traveling Wilburys record in the works, but no new albums from the group surfaced. Harrison and Lynne did re-team in 1995, when Lynne produced and reworked two John Lennon demos with the Beatles for their Anthology rarities collection. ~ William Ruhlmann, All Music Guide

Traveling Wilburys

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bootlegs

* Traveling Wilburys Vol. 2 (1989 demos and extended songs from Vol. 1)

* Traveling Wilburys Vol. 4 (1990 out-takes from Vol. 3)

For those who wonder why only Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 were released.

Yeah.. Vol. 2 and Vol. 4 are bootlegs!

Greg's pick: Traveling Wilburys, Vol. 1 - Track #1 - Handle With Care

I'd like to hop on the Big Piney "Made Loud to Play Loud" freightrain and roll down the tracks with this selection;

STICKY FINGERS : the Rolling Stones...............CD...........Vintage 70's......

Well here is a Prime Example of 70's Rock, Rolling Stones style.......I am a Die-Hard fan of "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World", will go to my grave with "Wild Horses" playing in the background, count on that .........seriously. You can not sum up the bands career with one album, it would take a series of 3 or 4 albums to focus light on their career. Having stated that, here is one of those albums...Sticky Fingers......

This is the first of many fine albums with Mick Taylor on Guitar, his first complete studio album, and deliver he does, Sweet Mick, what a Guitarist. The dual attack of Keith Richards, and Mick Taylor is a feast for the ears, no wasted solo's, or guitars with no purpose, every note used to make the song better. It is no secret, that I think the Stones most productive period was the Mick Taylor years, and I stand behind that statement. His solo's stick right out, you don't need to be a fan to know that Lead was Mick Taylor. Sway, and Wild Horses are fine examples of the "Young Stone" and his SWEET style of Guitar.

1 Brown Sugar..........What a way to open an Album...........Volume please

2 Sway............check out Mick Taylor

3 Wild Horses.........What a beautiful song....great guitar work....a masterpiece of a song, some of the Stones finest songwriting

4 Can't You hear me Knocking......Crank this Bad Boy up....this song will have you groovin' to the beat before it's over....Let yourself go, don't fight it...INFECTOUS.

5 You Gotta Move......great ditty.....good tune

6 Bitc...h........another Crank It Up....Mick Taylor again......Classic Stones

7 I Got the Blues........"3 O'clock in the Morning Babe, I've got the Blues for You"..Yeah, we all know that song, Bars closing, the woman all look good......EH?

8 Sister Morphine..........the title says it all

9 Dead Flowers........crank her up......the Stones do country....What a great song

10 Moonlight Mile.......the closer...great way to end a great album

These are 10 songs that just flow from begining to end. I consider this album a Masterpiece in the Stones large inventory of albums. Never a Top Album selling Group, don't believe that they ever had a Number One album, You Love them or you Hate them. Always remember......Jagger/ Richards are great songwriters, they produced themselves, they managed their own careers, had their own label, and they can play Rock N' Roll, not too bad for a little Rhythm and Blues band from England..........and they continue to sell out venues world wide.........Did I mention I like the Stones?...........Enjoy

Hard Knox and Dirty Sox....................Made Loud to Play Loud.............indeed

Urge Overkill - Saturation. This is some darn good rock n roll. The first track Sister Havana is always one of the first tracks I unleash on any new system upgrades. The first time I heard the last track "Heaven 90210" I would have sworn it was a Clapton song that I had not heard before. Check it out you won't be disapointed.

g79637arnrp.jpg

OK, I will weigh in, long time reader, first time poster...

I heartily agree with UO, can't believe someone is still listening to

that album..."Sister Havana" is one of my test songs too...

I have a new test cd though, and it is fairly new -

Nickelback, All the RIght Reasons - this rock cd well, rocks...the

first song (Follow You Home) starts with a drum riff that will scare

the hell out of you if you don't watch the volume - but it gives your

woofers a fantastic work out...this is a pretty loud album that you

will just want to keep turning up...

"Next Contestant", and "Animals" deserve particular mention, but the

whole album is rocking - you like UO you will like this cd...

K

Thebes, you're persistence has paid off. I'll throw my hat in the ring as well as my 2 cents worth.

I am slowly going through the Concord haul I got a few weeks back, and here's my recommendation for this week:

Wes Montgomery - Boss Guitar

On a 20 bit K2 remaster CD. Trio jazz with Melvin Rhyne on the Hammond B-3 and Jimmy Cobb on drums (a Miles Davis veteran). Recorded in August 1963.

Wonderful music for work. Almost background, but it is complex enough to make you stop and focus on these three amazing musicians. Definitely a bit of toe-tapping, but not overly so.

Chuck

New Blood! Yea!

Thanks for stopping in. The whole idea is to share some music and to

have a place to search through before you head out to a record store.

My feeling is that most folks on the Forum really know about good music that's well recorded.

Seemed silly to me not to make such an excellent resource available to all.

"The Very Best Of Julie London" EMI CD, 2006.

I posted about this CD in another thread --primarily due to how similar her sound was to Diana Krall's-- but regardless of who she sounds like, this is great music. If you're a fan of jazzy, pop female vocals, you will like it a lot. The arrangements are very tasteful and most of the tracks' sound quality is very good. A few of the earliest recordings are in mono and are just a bit dull sounding, but overall, considering the age of most of these recordings, the sound is very good.

GODSMACK IV FORMAT: CD

HARD DRIVIN ROCK, WITH A PRETTY GOOD PRODUCTION. SULLY SEEMED TO HAVE LOWERED THE OVERALL VOLUME, AND THIS RESULTS IN A PRETTY GOOD PLAY BACK ON MOST SYSTEMS. KEEPING IT DYNAMIC WITHOUT PEAKING OUT ALL THE TIME. IN MY OPINION ALOT OF NEW ROCK RECORDINGS SHOULD TAKE THIS APROACH.

TRACK LIST

1) LIVIN IN SIN

2) SPEAK

3) THE ENEMY

4) SHINEDOWN

5) HOLLOW

6) NO REST FOR THE WICKED

7) BLEEDING ME

8) VOODOO TOO

9) TEMPTATION

10) MAMA

11) ONE RAINY DAY

THEY ARE PLAYING 'SHINEDOWN' ON THE CARSON DALY SHOW ON FRIDAY SEPT, 19

I just downloaded this one. I remember hearing it one night many many years ago at a party, and I remember how good ALL the songs were and how great the guitar playing was. But, the band was a tad obscure so I never bought the album. a double live--

UFO "Strangers in the Night" with the unimitable Michael Schenker on guitar.

Incredible power guitar space rock with so many good songs you wonder why these guys weren't bigger. This sounds like a classic 70's rock album by a blazing live act

I can't get it off the rotation on the CD player, and the wife has rolled her eyes a couple times when she's heard this playing--fun stuff--

If you like UFO you might wanna try some of the Michael Schenker Group

stuff or some of Gary Moore's early/mid 80's stuff. I've been listening

to Moore's Victims Of The Future LP quite a bit. Here's what AMG has to

say.

"Gary Moore might just be the greatest guitar hero America's never heard

of, probably because only his recent blues recordings have benefited

from proper distribution stateside. In fact, Moore has worn so many

hats during his near 30-year career that the words eclectic and

unfocused immediately come to mind. Victims of the Future

arrived in the middle of the most consistent phase of his career --

that of a heavy metal guitar slinger. Between the epic cold

war-inspired title track and the massive riffing of "Murder in the