Best Center Channel Speaker for vintage LaScalas?

texas42

No, no, no

Do not even think of mixing Reference series with Heritage it will stick out like a sore thumb. Use a Heresy or an Academy if you have to, a third La Scala would be the obvious choice. They make great TV stands, I know that is where my TV is.

Stay Heritage.

It would be a balancing act, but you could do it. I had my 50" on top of a pair of LaScala's lying on their sides, but since I moved to a different room I am considering placing it on top of a single Belle.

If you don't go this route, try using the phantom center mode and skip using a mismatched center channel speaker.

It would be a balancing act, but you could do it. I had my 50" on top of a pair of LaScala's lying on their sides, but since I moved to a different room I am considering placing it on top of a single Belle.

If you don't go this route, try using the phantom center mode and skip using a mismatched center channel speaker.

Here's a 50" Samsung on top of a 30" wide Belle .

I don't think a 60" TV would be a problem .

post-18289-13819308334874_thumb.jpg

My brother in law Gilbert has a pair of vertical Cornwalls atop his 60" RPTV with no trouble at all.

I had my Sony 43" RPTV on top of a single La Scala laying on its side for years up until last Wednesday when I got my new 42" Plasma now my La Scala is upright with the Plasma on top of it.

It is doable, just depends on how bad you want to do it the right way and how good you want it to sound as Qman said.

Yup, a La Scala is the obvious choice.

I use a Heresy II mounted upside-down over the TV. It's too a bad sound match at all, but the dynamics get a little constrained on it and it shows. I'd love to get a horizontally-mounted "vertical Cornwall" up there.

I have a single wall-mount method for the Heresy archived in the architectural section of the forum.

There you go, you have a lot more room then 24" if you have a rear pro. TV. Get rid of your existing entertainment center, or what ever you are using. Build something to make it work. It's not about the looks, it's about the sound.

Can't argue with that logic. A La Scala is the obvious best choice. DO NOT mix lines been there done that.

What about a pair of Heresy III's stacked on top of one another?

47.62" H (60.48 cm) x 15.5" W (39.37 cm) x 13.25" D

I'm curious, how would this be wired? I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about this stuff, but wouldn't it present a different load to the amp than the other 4 channels? Given all the other speakers are equal, would this be noticable?

- Jim

If they are 8 ohms apiece you could wire them in parallel (+ to + - to -) for a 4 ohm load if your receiver or amp can handle a 4 ohm load which it should be able to if it is a quality unit.

If they are 4 ohm you can wire them in series (Use the positive on one speaker, the negative on the other and run a jumper wire between the other positive and negative inputs).

Any perceivable volume differences can be compensated for with the channel gain levels on your receiver or preamp.

The nominal impedence of each Heresy III is 8 Ohms. I agree with Frzn: Parallel wiring and volume-matching may be the key.

My idea was only a suggestion. I have not actually seen this maneuver done, so I don't know what it might do to the sound. Anyone out there ever try this?

I have a pair of '78 Heresy's hooked up in parallel with my Yamaha RX-V1 right now for my center channel. I did have to reset the center channel level. They are lying on their sides with the tweeters together in front of my 50" RPTV and sound fine. I have also had them on either side of the TV with good results.