"Mega" '70's receivers

richieb

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It amazes me just how big these classic Sansui G-Series DC power receivers really are...the G-8000 on the left is smaller than the G-33000 shown above, and it's still bigger than the G-6000 (which is still bigger than most other receivers of the day).[:o]

post-11084-1381931073304_thumb.jpg

All I can remember from guys in our barracks who owned the G-33000 was "Go Go Godzilla"[;)]

I know my old Pioneer SX-1050 at 120WPC would take your breath away in our living room in Germany when I had Larger Advents and JBL L-36's in opposing corners[:P]

When were you stationed there? Late 69 I was stationed in Frankfort......many audio clubs, many fine stereo's in barracks..........atleast you had decent speakers...many used Sansui or Pioneer 4,5,7 way speakers........they were weak link in my opinion.....nice introduction to the world of Hi-Fi though............Never saw any Klipsch speakers though, can you imagine a set of Khorns with 330 per behind them.....even your 120 per Pioneer would power them well.............

I think so many of them had bigger woofs that you didn't need a subwoofer (course, the bigger woofs didn't get down as low as some of the bigger woofed vintage speakers of the '70's)...how's dat?

Bill

Good, 12" and 15" woofers were common place back then, but really there was no substitute for Raw Power and any unit 100 watts per channel were Brutes, not on the wimpy side today...........I tell you what I do remember...........the old Klipsch ads for LaScala's........ "These speakers and a 10 watt amp will get you kicked out of your trailer park"........I do remember those ads......imagine 330 watts of Sansui Power.............