My wife do'snt understand me!

oldenough

About a year ago a neighbour who's wife was insisting he clear out some of his "stuff" gave me a Tektronix 547 oscillator. Now my wife is insisting the same thing of me, you know, with stupid question's like "do you really need 20 amplifiers, 20 pairs of speakers, and god knows how many turn-tables?". So i've cleared out or hidden some stuff that i really did'nt need, or could'nt find a need for immediatley (i just hope the attic floor is as strong as it looks!!). Hey! it seemed a waste to just leave all that roof space empty. Now the only piece of "stuff" that she has her eye on is the afore-mentioned oscillator, the only way that i could get this thing up to the attic is to recruit her to help me, BUSTED! This thing must weigh close to a hundred pounds, but it is a "knob twisters" dream. I've played around with it some, and done lots of "knobtwistin' " but i really have no understanding of it. Question, would/could this be of use to me, do'es it have basic easy to use functions that would'nt require a degree to understand, do'es anybody here have a plausible excuse to give as to why i need to keep this. Even if i can't understand the operation of it, it sure is a cool piece, it's not like it's a piece of junk, this thing is like new, not a mark on it. It will probably need servicing and calibrating. Thanks for any help...john

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a nice tool. It is an oscilloscope. It allows you to see what an electrical signal looks like.

This is a particularly fine make and model. It cost c. $2000 new (mid-'60's).

If you have no use for this, many of your brothers on the forum could put this to very good use as they are doing valuable research in audio.

I would never think of siding with your wife, but if you don't know how to operate this instrument and have no desire to do amateur audio research, you should consider offering it to your colleagues on the forum.

Someone needs that instrument.

DRBILL

Jeez, Jay did you really need to point that out? What little credibility i may have had has now flown out of the window. THANKS![;)]

Err actually what i meant to say was, uhhhm there not actually mine uhmmm they belong to my wife...anyone wanna buy them...best speakers in the world you know.... sell em real cheap....

That was my baby when I was in electronics heavy tropo comm on the Dewline. Very reliable and accurate and usually 2 traces at one time. If I had that scope, the 5245l HP freq counter and plugins, HP power meter, HP vtvm, Audio sweep generator, Gerold vhf/uhf sweep generator, HP FM signal generator to 900 megs, HP VHF signal generator, Weco 37 B (12khz to 4 megs +-.2db from 0dbto -120db) Weco 53A oscilator(12khz to 4 megs with 75 ohm thermocouple calibrator) I would be in electronic heaven.

JJK

Your wife understands you to a depth in your very soul, that should scare the hell out of you, in my professional opinion, otherwise you would not still have what you have pictured.

Get on you knees every night and thank your higher power, she is there that day!!

Good2Bhome, if that is true then i am truly scared beyond the depths of my soul. But before i take your comment's to heart could you tell me just what your profession is.

Worried.....John

Hey Guy, if you need to make room send me some receivers and amps, I'll store them for you...................No Charge Forum Bud...........

Shhhh!. keep it down Oldbuckster, most of it is now safely stashed right above her head in the attic. But thanks for that more than kind offer.[;)]

oldenough, there is no way your married, no wife would put up with all that, LOL. In the past six months, I have sold around 10 to 12 old receivers, amps,speakers, etc and have used the funds to improve my two channel setup which is now all Mcintosh,K-horns, and Alks es - networks which are coming soon. I figured, all this excess equipment sitting in boxes or either was not being used very much would be best used by someone that really wanted it for a certain setup. It was hard letting go of some of it but, it was mostly collecting dust. All your equipment is very impressive though, I can understand where your coming from.

Rock on

Randy