Best Places to Live ...

Jeff, I worked out of Chicago for 5 years. It is a great city (the city that works, er whatever it takes). It has a rougher edge than Texas cities for sure and the weather is atrocious in the winter, which by the way is about 7 months out of the year. All in all a pretty cool town, although I would still rather live in Boston instead of Chicago. Of course, what passes for pretty up there (besides the occasional hot babe which occur in some numbers almost everywhere) would be basic girl next door in Texas. (smile wink)

One of the girls I attended college with was from Lake Forest (north of Chicago) or somewhere like that. I think she was on the cover of Seventeen when in high school. Anyway, she is one of the most perfect specimens I have ever seen either in person or photos. And no everyone I don't have any photos of her to post, after all digital cameras were'nt invented yet. But back then she would just melt you to your knees, and had a nice personality to match.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houston has it going. Probably one of the lowest costs of living in the U.S., but with all the big city sophistication you'd want. Texas has the best looking women of all the states. With a robust economy, we are much more insulated than the rest of the nation from recessions, etc. Many of you might have felt the pinch when stocks crashed through the bottom a few years back. Over here, we kept moving almost like it never happened. All the homes are built by illegals (whether or not you think this is good or bad), and because of that, the cost of housing is very low. Katy, which is a satellite town on the West fringe of the city is the fastest growing area. There is alot of wealth on the West side of town. Jobs are plentiful. The downside is Houston is flat, hot and humid. The upside is there is a horizon, and we don't put chains on tires or scrape ice from windshields.

You forgot the worst part about Houston...

Flat is not so bad especially if you like to ride bicycles. Hot and Humid is the key. Of course there is always Phoenix. It's that blow torch heat, nice and dry.

It is in Texas![6] Good to see you back on a regular basis Jeff.

As far as hot/humid, I have been to a few places where I definitely prefer the weather. That would be San Diego and Hawaii. Both, however, have much greater issues in my opinion. San Diego is expensive as can be. For 1/3 of the cost, I can actually live well in Texas. Hawaii is expensive, too, but maybe not as bad as San Diego. The downside to Hawaii is after 3 days, you've seen the whole island, and you have to go a long, long way to get off of it and go somewhere else. It really is too separated from the world to suit my taste.

I'll take hot/humid and be able to afford air conditioning. It works well. Cold, on the other hand, just plain sucks. It interferes too much with going out and doing things. Cold weather, for me, is more depressing.

Colorado is a nice place to visit, but I don't think I could get used to the shade that is cast by the mountains.

Texas is a great state. Somebody also mentioned to me the other day (which I have been told before) that Houston has the greatest per capita restaurant selection in the U.S. I don't know this to be true, but we definitely aren't short of restaurant variety. And the food is nice and spicey - the way it should be.

I briefly visited Flagstaff, Arizona. Now, that was one nice city. Don't know anything about its economy, though.

Oldie, were you born here, or are you a Texan by choice?

I'd be remiss in not cheering for Chicago.

I'm an ex New Yorker. A HR person quipped that the second hardest thing to do is to get a New Yorker to relocate to Chicago. The first hardest thing is to get him to go back.

We have the best airport. Museums. Good colleges. Weather is . . . um . . well, it gets hot and cold moreso than most other locations. Sports teams are like that too.

Gil

I lived in Honolulu for a few years, it is expensive but easy to get used to. You don't spend much money on clothes there, or at least you don't have to. You spend lots more time outside and stay pretty healthy too. Jeff, both my parents were born and raised in Dallas, I was born out of state (military) but have lived the majority of my life in north central Texas. Most of the extended family is also in Texas. Technically if you apply US citizenship laws to Texas (and why not as a previously independent nation) I am a Texan.

As far as weather is concerned, an old boss from my younger years told me (he was from Biloxi) you can always jump into the pool but you can't jump into the fire! Kind of sums it up for the southern perspective.

Yeah, Oldie, I know you are in the Ft. Worth area. It's a nice place. I sure like Ft. Worth better than Dallas. But for a career-oriented, money-making-minded person (usually the younger types like me who are still building something), there's no doubt Dallas is the place in your area to make some money.

Didn't you mention you were into securities or used to be?

Although the cost of living here is expensive, NJ is not so bad. Can commute to NYC or work there or here. The weather is temperate, 4 seasons it can get hot and it can get cold. Right now is nice........

The schools in some suburbs are the best you can send private or public (this is public I am talking about)

Housing costs alot or alittle.

Its not so bad here (just hold your nose, just kidding)

BTW there are lots of people looking for jobs and with your wife's masters and your MBA you should have no problem if you want to get back into the non franchise world

Yeah, Oldie, I know you are in the Ft. Worth area. It's a nice place. I sure like Ft. Worth better than Dallas. But for a career-oriented, money-making-minded person (usually the younger types like me who are still building something), there's no doubt Dallas is the place in your area to make some money.

I think I mentioned that I have an MBA in Finance. (University of North Texas) I took as many courses about markets that I could, including a year of derivatives.

I agree with you about Ft. Worth vs. Dallas. I am up in Denton now, even better.

Although the cost of living here is expensive, NJ is not so bad. Can commute to NYC or work there or here. The weather is temperate, 4 seasons it can get hot and it can get cold. Right now is nice........

The schools in some suburbs are the best you can send private or public (this is public I am talking about)

Housing costs alot or alittle.

Its not so bad here (just hold your nose, just kidding)

BTW there are lots of people looking for jobs and with your wife's masters and your MBA you should have no problem if you want to get back into the non franchise world

Jay, my Dad lived in Toms River for close to 20 years +/- and I never heard much complaining, except that it wasn't Texas. When he finally retired they moved back down here to be close to the grandkids. They also used the term it's not so bad, or even it's pretty nice up here. I do hear that there is freaky deliverance type stuff deep in the Pines.......

I think I mentioned that I have an MBA in Finance. (University of North Texas) I took as many courses about markets that I could, including a year of derivatives.

I agree with you about Ft. Worth vs. Dallas. I am up in Denton now, even better.

So, what do you do? Retired/working?

[.

We're trying to get the business to a breakeven. n. However, it's been over a year since a paycheck from anywhere and we've pumped about $130K in the business, including franchise and territory fees. Most of the investments are behind us and we just want to get the business to start generating some cash.

The emotional and physical toll have been high. Carrie and I just look at ourselves some nights and say, "Man, this is waaaaaaaaay too hard ..."

you can tell me to piss off ...

but let me offer the following business critique.............

franchises are a boner, you can't "buy" a business, .......and what are you going to get for your hard work ..??

a silent "partner".....who's already got a Fee, and want's part of your profit's .. forever

get the biz profitable, show projected growth and sell it ... fast ...

at least you can recover your $130 grand........you both have lost a years income

it's a very poor business plan, these day's , to think you are going to make money selling Labor

i am certain you are realizing now the employee problems will never stop in a low tech, high turn-over biz like cleaning houses

sorry to be a dream squasher, but it is reality, far as i can see

go back to work that you know best....

perhaps a job, at least it will come with benefits...

Best place to live? wherever you find yourself, as it is all a journey. Enjoy where you are AND particularly with whom you find yourself. I think it is, to a large degree, dependent upon being with the ones we love (spouses, kids, etc) and our attitude.

Yeah, I know, some places are nicer than others, and we can try them all for awhile, but if you aren't happy with yourself and those you choose to be with, it doesn't really matter where you are, 'cause ya ain't gonna be happy. Trite to say, but alot of it comes from within us.

. ... gotta get off my frickin soapbox, sorry, i'll just wander off . . .

you make a great point patrick. (santa barbara is not that bad though, not that bad like NJ right?) yes, I've been there, and it really is not that bad. Question: What's a used car in santa barbara? Answer: A fully restored classic or a new one just driven off the lot. (wink, Smile)

Thanks Duke for the words of wisdom. Sometimes I am tempted, now I can picture Spinner in the back of my mind saying noooo....nooooooooooo.

Ah come on Spinner....Franchises arn't all bad. In this day and age everyone (majority) is name driven. Mom and Pops just don't do well overall. Sure there are a few success stories, but they are the exception. I personally love mom and pop establishments.

Point is, do the research on the franchise and talk to there current and past client base.

In the cleaning game, it will never change. I am a VP of a hotel company. The majority of employees are housekeeping in nature. The turnover rate is the worst in just about any business.

Heck, we have a service that does our house and a service that does our yard, and a service....well, you get the picture.

While you think "selling labor" is not worth it, think again....it's everywhere....and growing!