"Ask Clarence" -the Saturday Night Thread

Clarence

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Sorry to hear about that. For that much I might prosecute my own sister too. As it is I figure my generosity stops at the time of day and is plenty for not sending her to prison and making her child a ward of the state.

It's really sad. All they had to do was admit what they did and it would have been brushed under the carpet. Just like always.[:(]

dtel's and oldtimer...

you have my sincere condolences with your sitiations. I wish I could help, but this one stumps even Clarence. Its hard to look at a theif the same way ever again.

$3 or $105,000...I thiefs a thief. This is why locks keep an honest person honest.

Wow, $105,000...You seem to be taking it well!

• Moderators

dtel's and oldtimer...

you have my sincere condolences with your sitiations. I wish I could help, but this one stumps even Clarence. Its hard to look at a theif the same way ever again.

$3 or $105,000...I thiefs a thief. This is why locks keep an honest person honest.

Wow, $105,000...You seem to be taking it well!

It wasn't my money. It was my 66 year old aunt's money. The funds were from her insurance company and were to be used to repair her home after it suffered damage from Katrina.

She signed the money over to a very very close relative to perform the repairs on her house. Total insurance funds exceeded $150,000.00. Her house is only 1500 square feet and received no more than 18 inches of water. However, the house is located in an exclusive area of Metairie, so was a custom built home with lots of extras.

Being very generous and after consulting with several contractors the repairs they did perform were estimated to be $45,000.00. We (the family) made numerous requests verbally, and in writing for an explanation, receipts or whatever they could provide...to no avail. We went to arbitration and the attorney representing the "other party" refused to accept their "case".

And no...I didn't take it very well because we suspect this same family member "took" dtel and I for almost $100,000.00 when I was an independant insurance agent.

The district attorney advised a couple of days ago that he has accept the theft by fraud charges the sheriff's department filed six months ago. The case is going forward.

I can't understand why people have a problem admitting when they are wrong.[*-)]

And yes, if they had admitted the truth it would have been "swept under the carpet", as always with this particular family member.

So...they defrauded an elderly Katrina victim, who is a family member. They also had full knowledge this person was suffering from depression, as the aunt was staying with them while the "repairs were being done".

Sad, really sad.[:(]