Have you ROLLED your V.R.D ?

Cal Blacksmith

I've only used the stock tubes although I did pay a few dollars extra for my KT88s. Can't remember the brand but there was only a small difference in price along with a small difference in performance. The ValveArts Craig loaned me after mine went bad (got replacements under warranty) sounded great. Not sure I could have picked them out in a blind test but positive I would prefer the more expensive brand in a non-blind test.[;)]

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Bumping........... I need a quad of power tubes for my VRDs. Need to order today cuz I'm non-functioning. Don't want to spend alot of money, so am looking at sticking to the Valve Art KT88 or going with TungSol 6550 reissue. The 6550's are about $25 more for the quad. I've no clue if I would hear the difference and I'm a bit curious about the size/shape of the Tungsols cuz if it protrudes more over the amp, I'm going to burn myself while biasing more than I already do. :) I guess if all things are equal, I'd like a better shot at longevity. Anyone have experience compareing the Tungsol 6550 reissue vs. VA kt88? I'd also like to know to what level the 12au7 has on sound. I have Amperex something or other there, and the 12ax7 has a Telefunken. Wondering if that is a weird or logical combo. Since I have to order power tubes, I'm sort of wondering what else I can get while ordering?

Bumping........... I need a quad of power tubes for my VRDs. Need to order today cuz I'm non-functioning. Don't want to spend alot of money, so am looking at sticking to the Valve Art KT88 or going with TungSol 6550 reissue. The 6550's are about $25 more for the quad. I've no clue if I would hear the difference and I'm a bit curious about the size/shape of the Tungsols cuz if it protrudes more over the amp, I'm going to burn myself while biasing more than I already do. :) I guess if all things are equal, I'd like a better shot at longevity. Anyone have experience compareing the Tungsol 6550 reissue vs. VA kt88? I'd also like to know to what level the 12au7 has on sound. I have Amperex something or other there, and the 12ax7 has a Telefunken. Wondering if that is a weird or logical combo. Since I have to order power tubes, I'm sort of wondering what else I can get while ordering?

Lisa,

The Tungsol reissue actually are slightly shorter then the Valve Art KT88's

Craig

In talking to Craig it doesn't seem that the larger tubes make much difference in sound. [you can call him to verify this] . He said to get the most change in sound it will happen with the smaller tubes 12AU7 and 12AX7 . I am running 12AU 7 buggle boys Amperex ,and 5751 GE black plates . Did not notice much difference if any ,over the stock tubes. It is like others have said really not much difference with tube swapping in the vrd.So go with price savings . You can also look at the JJ Tesla kt88 ,around $137 for a quad.

In talking to Craig it doesn't seem that the larger tubes make much difference in sound. [you can call him to verify this] . He said to get the most change in sound it will happen with the smaller tubes 12AU7 and 12AX7 . I am running 12AU 7 buggle boys Amperex ,and 5751 GE black plates . Did not notice much difference if any ,over the stock tubes. It is like others have said really not much difference with tube swapping in the vrd.So go with price savings . You can also look at the JJ Tesla kt88 ,around $137 for a quad.

Mark,

I think your findings will slightly change once we do what we plan in the future. But still the difference in rolling will still be small on the grand scale of things.

Craig

Has anyone experimented with a 6L6 type (KT66, 6L6GC, 350B) in the VRD? Just wondering . . .

Are far as I know just me Alan. Oh but Steve Milin just about fried a set of 350B from carelessness on bias adjustments 350B are a complete stretch in the VRD amp they work but........ Now 6L6GC, KT66's and the like are the best options if you want to play around. IMHO in the end I always end up back at KT88's or similar. Any one wanting to go that route absolutely have to contact me for biasing guidance. No big deal but hand holding is required. VRD's are not like MC30's where you just plug these types of tubes in and play away.

Craig

Were there any sonic differences that stood out when comparing the VRDs running KT-88/6550 and 6L6GC/KT-66? How much less power do they put out?

I have VERY limited time listening to the VRDs--just one afternoon in Scott's basement system. I have never been fond of any amp long-term that used the KT-88/6550--HK and McIntosh included.

Mike, they have nice prices with the sale. But I can't get a shipping quote without registering and that ticked me off and they seem to ship UPS ground (no Saturday delivery) and given it's coming from AZ..... might not be my best bet for speed as I have no extras. I think I'll stick with the VA kt88 for now as perhaps changing things right now isn't a good idea since I've changed my entire room. IDK - I can't find alot of comments on this Tung Sol either.

After I get them.... I then have to figure out where my hiss is coming from. :)

So Craig, what makes the MC-30's so flexible on tubbage?

As soon as I get the LaScalla's back up and running amps for them is going to be my next step and the MC-30's have been in the mix for me ever since listening to Richards in Hope[:D] By what I have been reading here and abroad many feel the MC-30's are the best Mac ever produced of course I have read a few that do like others (the MC-275 comes to mind)

I know the year before last in Hope I loved both the VRD's that were brought and Daddy Dee's little MkII ? or III's sounded very nice and drove the Woo Mans Cornwalls better than I ever thought they would[:S]

If I may...as the thread seems to vacillate between KT88/6550s and KT66/6L6GCs...

I have a question about the KT66 & 6L6GCs...

I need 2 matched quads of KT66s (preferably) or 6L6GCs. I have found the Valve Art KT66 at http://www.aydn.com/product_info.php?products_id=44 for $94 for the matched quad. But to be honest, I have dealt with neither the Valve Art product nor this particular dealer before.

I would even consider ordering 2 complete sets of 2-matched quad sets for future use as well, as looking for replacements has long since ceased to be a fun and exciting adventure...

I am looking for good sounding long life tubes for a reasonable price (aren't we all!!! ;-) ) I don't ask for much, do I? ;-) I am not looking for exotic high priced tubes with a negligible improvement in perceived benefits.

Does anyone have experience with either tube or vendor? Or can anyone suggest a proven/reliable alternative source or tube (available in 2 matched quartets) that is comparable or better?

I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks in advance...

Mark

Mas,

I use a quad of VA KT66 in my Fender Bassman 135, which is run Ultralinear to get 135W (what THD? who knows - it's a bass amp). I've used them constantly for over a year and they still sound great. I haven't tried them in my Mc-30, though. Price is good - I know nothing about the vendor.

Were there any sonic differences that stood out when comparing the VRDs running KT-88/6550 and 6L6GC/KT-66? How much less power do they put out?

I have VERY limited time listening to the VRDs--just one afternoon in Scott's basement system. I have never been fond of any amp long-term that used the KT-88/6550--HK and McIntosh included.

The simple short answer is mileage will vary with the users ears. From a technical standpoint traveling far from what the amp was designed with in mind is just giving you a different distortion character and change is frequency response. The power difference is a minor none issue. Some of the choices will really soften the bass presentation and so on. I could write for hours and end up just confusing the issue. Alan you know as well as anyone that I am not a wizard at descriptions in audiophile terms. So if I was to go at it I would most likely end up looking like a fool LOL!! I'm the kind of reviewer that no one would enjoy because I would simply say this sounds good or this sound not so good.

I think you need to spend some time with a little different flavor KT88 based amp [;)] I've rebuilt a number of both amps you mentioned. I like the MC60's very much after I rebuilt and tweaked them. But the HK Citation is a dog IMHO way to much feedback in that amp for anything but the most slamming rock and roll. But with you I seriously doubt in the end you would ever end up preferring the VRD's over your life long Friend the MC30's ? No amplifier is going to be all things to all people I sure wish I could get a handle on a design like that.

Alan one thing you may want to hear is remember the pictures of a sneak peak of something coming down the pike i emailed you? That will come to fruition and will be a very friendly thing to 350B's.

Craig

If I may...as the thread seems to vacillate between KT88/6550s and KT66/6L6GCs...

I have a question about the KT66 & 6L6GCs...

I need 2 matched quads of KT66s (preferably) or 6L6GCs. I have found the Valve Art KT66 at http://www.aydn.com/product_info.php?products_id=44 for $94 for the matched quad. But to be honest, I have dealt with neither the Valve Art product nor this particular dealer before.

I would even consider ordering 2 complete sets of 2-matched quad sets for future use as well, as looking for replacements has long since ceased to be a fun and exciting adventure...

I am looking for good sounding long life tubes for a reasonable price (aren't we all!!! ;-) ) I don't ask for much, do I? ;-) I am not looking for exotic high priced tubes with a negligible improvement in perceived benefits.

Does anyone have experience with either tube or vendor? Or can anyone suggest a proven/reliable alternative source or tube (available in 2 matched quartets) that is comparable or better?

I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks in advance...

Mark

I have no experience with that vendor. Check out www.tubesandmore.com also. The VA KT66 is a pretty good tube for sure.

So Craig, what makes the MC-30's so flexible on tubbage?

As soon as I get the LaScalla's back up and running amps for them is going to be my next step and the MC-30's have been in the mix for me ever since listening to Richards in Hope[:D] By what I have been reading here and abroad many feel the MC-30's are the best Mac ever produced of course I have read a few that do like others (the MC-275 comes to mind)

I know the year before last in Hope I loved both the VRD's that were brought and Daddy Dee's little MkII ? or III's sounded very nice and drove the Woo Mans Cornwalls better than I ever thought they would[:S]

Becuase your not flexing the tubes much. The 6L6GC, KT66 and 350B are all similar tubes of the same family and the MC30 is not pushing them hard. Put them in a VRD that is really designed to run a KT88 and the story quickly changes. They can be used but you have to be careful. The MC30 could never use a KT88 for instance.

Craig