Questions Regarding Decent Headphones

TSAdmiral

I've got some quick questions regarding quality headphones. I know that Klipsch doesn't make any headphones at the moment, but I'm in the market for some full-size ones and I figure this is probably one of the better places I can turn to for quick audio-related questions.

I've been browsing around for these full-size headphones and I've noticed that the more expensive ones usually don't have volume control of any kind. Some of the cheaper headphones do feature volume control, but the seemingly better ones don't. Why is that? Does the addition of a volume control affect the signal or audio quality? I admit it would come in handy since I would be using it at my computer most of the time, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quality for this convenience. Yet it is perplexing to me why expensive headphones don't have such a feature.

Lastly, I've just said that I was in the market for some decent full-size headphones. I don't care for noise-cancelling, so I'm not particularly gearing toward those. However, I have spotted some headphones I may consider purchasing, such as the Altec Lansing AHP625 or the Bose Triports. I know Bose is disdained among some audiophiles in terms of home audio, but I'm curiouts about their headphone quality. Does anyone have any decent recommendations they can offer?

Sennheiser 650, 600, 580 & 590. All superb headphones with a similar signature sound.

I have spent a fair amount of time with the 590 & 600. They are

very comfortable both sonically and physically. Great bass

The Sennheiser 600 is a Stereophile recommended component and maybe

more importantly, very highly rated by users at audioreview.com.

Can't go wrong with one of these unless you are looking for isolation headphones.

I've listened to the Bose triport. It's a pleasant headphone but not

even close to being in the same league as the above mentioned

Sennheisers.

If you want to isolate or decrease external noise, like with the BOSE headphones, I suggest something like Ultimate Ears ifi 5 Pro's which now go for $169 at Amazon.com (I bought mine at $279). If you can spend the money, the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10's are, i hear, incredible. The Shure E500's are great headphones, but pricey and they certainly don't best Ultimate Ears or Westone's offerings in the same price bracket.

If you want basic, over the ear with no isolation cans at a great price/performance ratio, look no further than the $35 Koss Porta Pro's or the $50 Senn MX100's. These headphones are incredibly comfortable, so light you can't even tell you are wearing them at times!

For higher-end over the ear, no isolation headphones, I can't beat the HD600's which I power with an external hybrid amp. These headphones are fantastic and can be found for as low as $279 if you have a sharp eye. The circumaural headsets put the pressure not on yoru ears but on the skull, you can wear these for hours, enjoying the cadaver-length provided cable.

Adding a volume control potentially increases resistance and can be a cause of scratchy sound as it wears old. I would use the computer volume control before I would worry about having an in-line controller. You can find one of these at RadioShack for a few bucks if you really find your desiring it.

With a computer as your source, you are going to want to find headphones that don't require much amplification. High sensitivity and low impedance are found in the Koss and Senn MX100, your computer would provide more than enough power to blast away on these great headphones.

The Higherup Senn's do require more power to get the full depth and volume of what you are listening to. Rock and low-strings and pipe organs really don't shine until you get a decent amplifier for them (prices start at around $100, cheack out Headroom.com).

Hope this helps1

If you have opportunity, try to audition AKG, Sennheiser, and Grado. All are highly regarded within the music industry, and each has an excellent heritage. Each line will generally be voiced according to the engineering philosophy of the company, as with spekaers, and generally you'll pretty quickly like the sonic signature of one of these lines Then its just a matter of fine tuning what you like within the product line.

I found the Grado SR80 to be my favorite, and an excellent value as well. I like them for much the same reason that I like Klipsch, that is you listen to the music, not the headphones. They also can be driven by an ipod easily.

Google "headroom" and "headwize". Each will take you to two different sites devoted to headphones. There is a lot of great info there, especially about what type of headphone to choose, and compatibility with different equipment. They also make recommendations and show ratings of headphones, though it is limited to the headphones they carry.

This may be sacriledge, but my Koss Pro4AAA were an integral part of my rock and roll roadie case for a decade. I'd still use them but they're pretty ragged from so much abuse. The vinyl filled earcups gently sealed and the full large diaphrams really gave some nice bass, even at lower volumes

If these or something like them were still made, I'd get them today.

anyone else?

This may be sacriledge, but my Koss Pro4AAA

were an integral part of my rock and roll roadie case for a decade. I'd

still use them but they're pretty ragged from so much abuse. The vinyl

filled earcups gently sealed and the full large diaphrams really gave

some nice bass, even at lower volumes

If these or something like them were still made, I'd get them today.

anyone else?

Yes. Well kind of. I have an old pair of KOSS PRO4AA. I find them an

amazing headphone that still work perfectly and able to hold their own

against current models. The only drawback is the weight. The

isolation is unbelievable. They were really ahead of their time.