CornScalas are sweet - thanks BEC

Arky

I picked up a pair of Cornscalas from Bob. They are awesome in 2 channel & multi-channel with the Cornwalls. I have been listening for a week or so & these things are clear & detailed even with high power thrown at them. Those big horns are sweet.

post-17658-13819311550578_thumb.jpg

Very nice. How much different do they sound compared to your Cornwalls?

cubdog

Very similar but cleaner, clearer & wider in the mids. Both sets are using Bob's new tweeter.

These are using a pro horn instead of the La Scala horn. I listened to La Scalas & these hybrids at Bob's & they sounded about the same to me. The hybrids just go deeper.

Other possible names for this speaker configuration. Tracwall, Corntrac, Corntrachorn, Corntracwall, Corntractrix, Tractrixhornwall, or if I am not mistaken since the horn is an Edgarhorn midrange horn design call it an Edgarwall. Any way they look great and I bet they sound great also I bet that horn really opens up the midrange

Correct "made up" name would be Cornscala II. The Cornscala used a K401 which of course would not fit in a Cornwall size cabinet. The Cornscala II uses a large but shorter horn and will fit in a Cornwall size cabinet. Sound is about the same between the Cornscala and Cornscala II.

Bob Crites

is it indeed a 'Tractrix' horn? I thought it was some Pyle horn that fit the box, do you have a link to the horn specs used Bob? K55 behind them?

I might want to do this for some of my boxes either for center use or for 'Industrials'. Just for the fun of it.

Thanks

Michael

Bob

I've finally had time to put these Cornscala II's you built through the paces. They are absolutely fantastic. I'm a midrange guy & these mids are so crystal clear it's stunning. I'm having to back off the power before I damage my ears. The bass is quite good as well.

Kudos young man.

JT

Bob or Arky-

Are the squawker drivers K-55 (Atlas PD-5VH)?

I see that the horn is available for $29 at

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Source=googlebase&ProductID=16186

For that kind of money it makes little sense to go to the trouble to build (or buy) a wooden Tractrix horn unless there is a tremendous improvement or unless the hobbyist just lives to maximize the DIY thrill at every opportunity. Has anyone done a direct comparison?

Michael-

I believe that device is meant to "torture" corks out of bottles. You need not concern yourself further.