SVS sub + RF-7s?

wuzzzer

I know SVS has a great reputation for deep, flat bass. Are they legitimate contenders as far as SPL goes?

I've been looking at them on their website and I think the 16-46 PC-Plus sounds like a great sub. Will this sub keep up with the output of my RF-7s? Thanks!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A PC-Plus using two woofers or dual PC-Plus will keep up in most rooms.A single woofer will NOT,I do not care what some claim.No single 12" sub can keep up with RF7's and sustain 120dB @ 20Hz in a mid sized room,not even on a paper inflated spec sheet.There is only that much air a 12"(10" piston can move even at 2.5" of excursion,the Plus woofer CANNOT travel a full 2.5" BTW).

Dual 12" is the key.Unless you are looking for high output around the 30Hz mark,here you have many subs capable of close to 120db and more at 30Hz.

What ever floats your boat.

Consider Klipsch THX subs,or one sub an dan amp.You will get all the SPL and impressive depth,close to the max performance in a compact sub uwing a 12" woofer.

I don't want to get into some partison brand game here...

But if you are looking to maintain constant 120dB SPLs you should be looking at more than what any manufacturer offers in their entry lines - especially as we know nothing of your room and many other necessary factors to make such a determination.

The SVS is an excellent sub. And their reputation is earned and well deserved.

Many here listen to music at more moderate levels and occasionally watch a movie. The odds are that one SVS (or other moderately sized sub) might satisfy your needs. I have listened to many moderately sized home theaters where, for instance, a SVS PC-Plus or self-powered Ultra did a great job. And I like bass.

Would the levels satisfy everyone? Perhaps not, but I would guess that they would provide the average user with a fine system. You need to ascertain what the required sustained levels are that you demand within the context of your environment and what results you desire.. From there you are free to make an informed desicion. Does SVS make a product that you can be happy with? Absolutely. As do many other companies, including Klipsch. But, SVS and Hsu do offer a direct marketing model which means that you will save on middle market markup. And that also works in your favor. That is simply a fact of the business model.

As far as published specs, I have seen few that use a truely coherant and consistent method and that are easily reproduceable and available for perusal, let alone really useful for an individual to use to make an absolute judgement. And that includes most of the companies that many routinely discuss here, so I would not use that as the sole tool for making a decision. You will most likely need to delve a little further - listening if possible.

Many factors enter into your decision. And determining just what levels of performance you require, and which are thus required in the unit, should be based on your listening habits, the room and any of a variety of additional factors ranging from your budget to the electronics driving the speakers.

I also have rf7's and find that they don't overwhelm the rsw15/12(but it could easily overwhelm the 7's)..I had a powered cylinder from svs(sent back),it was ok for movies,I listen to mostly concerts and music.I'd say they're good but overhyped unless you get up in the line.I took a chance and it cost $50,but I'm glad I tried one just to know.You might think different,good luck.

SVS,They are a Joke[:(]

?Explain? [:^)]

Exactly how Fish explains it below OVERHYPED,I tried plenty of them and owned the ultra cylinder for two days until i sent it back,Lost money as normal $400.00, like all canadians would sending the ultra back,I had smaller 10" subs that would chew the svs ultra cylinder to pieces during tests,they are alright if you never heard many other subs in your life time[:)]I always wondered why there were so many Canadian customers with SVS up for sale used .Ive seen 1/2 dozen ultras used since i sent mine back,and also seen plenty of pb12+ 2 used more than ultra,and they were all canadian owners,Good thing i just tested all the other svs subs ,or i would have lost alot more money ,I guess other Canadians got stung to reading all the hyped up posts in many forums.I also found out from many other forum friends that they sent theirs back as well.What seems so surprizing, that i never have to send a klipsch product back.

And who are you ,another svs Trash can lover.

Interesting. We progress from an emotional tirade to a personal assault.

Regarding what I use...

I personally run several Velodyne HGS-18 Series 2 subs.

And I have had more than my share of experience with pro subs as well as many commercial subs. And my background is not simply as a consumer.

And I also have an SVS PC-Ultra as well in addition to a few others. For the money, I don't think you can beat the SVS in the commercial market as far as return for the dollar... An opinion shared by quite a few knowledgeable folks, blind brand loyalty aside.

But then I also know that there are a few more criteria to making a decision regarding a particular sub-woofer (or anything else for that matter) than simply issuing emotional tirades lacking any objective criteria.

If you would like, I would gladly compare my credentials to yours if you find that meaningful. Maybe we can let a respected independent and knowledgeable member decide who has a sufficient basis for making evaluations. Perhaps the illustrious DoctorWho would be willing to do the honors ( I can just imagine Doc now, sitting there going "And what did I do to get involved in this!?! [:P] )

If you look at the response curve of various subs, you will find that people often compare deep bass subs, like the big SVS tubes, with louder, more obvious, mid-bass subs NOT the same thing. Look at the charts in one of my all time favorite articles:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html

Do you see the difference in the depth, total output, the peak of the output frequency response (where the sub puts out most of its sound), the flatness of the response curve and the resulting description of the subs sound?

Look at the differences between the SVS tubes, average subs and the massive ones, like the granddaddy Velo.

And who are you ,another svs Trash can lover.

Interesting. We progress from an emotional tirade to a personal assault.

....If you would like, I would gladly compare my credentials to yours if you find that meaningful. Maybe we can let a respected independent and knowledgeable member decide who has a sufficient basis for making evaluations. ...

I don't fit the above criteria but my vote goes for mas--That's one smart dude and he seems to be more civil than Paul. BTW, thanks for the insight I gain from your posts.[;)]

Thanks for posting Colin,that is a very informative article,I haven't read it for awhile.I had forgot that the rsw15 was the pick for music and just occasional HT(that's me).As I've stated many times,I Iisten to mostly music so it's my choice but for a real movie buff there are better choices.Some say a good sub can do it all good but I think(as the article said)it's all about what are priorities.

Colin

That was a good comparison among several reviews. This was apparently published in 2001, which is a little dated, but still expresses some very important observations among these subs.

To the original poster... my best advise would be for you to take a look at feedback and reviews from several audiophile forums, (such as the AVS forum). They provide great feedback for several product brand of subs, as well as links for helpful reviews. You will find that in terms of performance, quality, and value, SVS along with HSU, Velodyne, and JL Audio not only rank very high, but that they have a staunch following. The mark of a great company with great products and fantastic customer service, is the number of returning customers. My past experience with Klipsch is what prompted me to look at their present lineup, and purchase my speaker system from Klipsch. You will find that SVS enjoys the same following, and that the accolades are both hard earned and well deserved. As my signature below states, I have a modified RF-82 system in a room that is around 3000^3 ft, but open to three large rooms, (very close to 6500^3 ft total). My sub has absolutely no problems blending with my RF-82 system, is very linear, articulated, and has plenty of overhead to boot. An absolute pleasure to listen to.