Listened to a Bose system the other day

wuzzzer

Last weekend I went over to my best friend's parent's house. They have a 52" plasma TV that is very very nice. We were talking about HDTV and he showed me some of the HD channels he gets. I noticed a couple small, rectangular shaped Bose speakers on each side of the TV. I looked for a center channel and surrounds but it was only a 2 channel setup.

He then asks me if I wanted to hear his Bose system. I said sure! [;)] He popped in a CD from a band from Ecuador that he bought at the State Fair. The midrange sounded alright, and then some bass notes hit...

From what I could tell, the 'subwoofer' in the corner must have been crossed over at 200-250Hz. It was to my left and I was easily able to localize it anytime sound came from it. The bass sounded very unnatural and was way overemphasized.

I could tell that there was treble on the CD just begging to be played, but none of it was. It sounded as if I were listening to my RF-7s with rags shoved in the horns. I tried pretending I was impressed when he said "The volume is only on 30...and it goes up to 100!"

He then told me that he paid $1200 for the system which included the 'sub,' two small front mains, and a receiver with a built-in CD player.

Let's see...my setup cost me $1000 for my RF-7s, $125 for my CD player, $175 for my receiver = $1300. $100 more than the Bose wondersystem! [:o]

Augh, don't you love those that get that wonderfull little Bose setup and think there is nothing else out there that will beat it? But hey, if the dude is happy with it, I guess nothing we can really do about it, but just grin and bear it during those wonderful "demos". However, I am just in awe that it was "only on 30, but can go to 100!" [:S] I'd hate to even thing what that thing would sound like if he did crank it up to hundred. Hell, those little cubes would probably start to distort at 35! I'd also be willing to be my own system would blow that Bose system away in sheer SPL even if cranked all the away!

I was listening to one of those Life$tyle 48 setups (with that fancy-dancy "UMusic") at one of those canned demo kiosks (to bad I could not put my own material in it), and it was playing a scene out of Lord Of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring. I tried to turn it up so I can actually hear the dialog, but it kept distorting. If I kept it down low enough without it distorting, than I could not hear the dialog! But at the same time, there was this women standing behind me gushing at how awesome it sounded. I turned around and told her I thought it sounded like crap - could not understand the dialog! I then went on and said, sorry, but I think I'll stick with my Klipsch setup! Some other guy overheard me and just grinned at me!

This also reminded me of a pretty humourous situation a couple weeks ago at the local Best Buy store. I was bored, so I took my fully charged up iPod with some 30-gigs of good ol power/prog metal along with a mini-to-mini and a mini-to-RCA cable.

I went back into the home theater area and decided to have a little fun by hooking my iPod up to the recievers of various system to give them a listen. I started off listening to a Klipsch Quintet III with a Yamaha reciever setup, which I thought sounded damn good, especially for the size and price. For S&G's, I then hooked it up to a Bose system that was sitting next to the Klipsch (an actual, stand-alone setup that is not in one of those canned demo kiosks - wonder if Bose is relaxing thier requirement to keep thier systems seperated from others, or Best Buy has enough clout now-a-days to tell them to kiss off.). Shortly after I started a track, one of the "sales associates" came over, probably more curious what I was doing rather than trying to make a sale. He then told me " You should try these Klipsch here! I think they are much better than those Bose!". [:D] I was acting like I was geniunely interested in buying something. He then went and told me how he had thier highest end Yamaha reciever hooked up with a complete set of the Synergy F-3 speakers, which I'll admit, is a very nice setup indeed. But you should've seen his jaw dropped when I revealed to him that I was only playing around (and I was indeed curious to how some of these smaller setups sounded with the music I like to listen to) and that I already had a Reference 7 setup with B&K electronics fronting it! All he could say was, "Niiiiceee!"

Just last Friday, they opened up a Magnolia Hi-Fi in the local Best Buy. I was just in there yesterday evening listening to a pair of RF-82's, which are indeed quite nice. I do love the mid-range on those things. To bad they were stangling them with that Yamaha reciever, though. Told the sales guy they should try to get some good seperate amps in there, or at least hook up that Denon AVR-4807 they got there, and he did indeed agree.

I was listening to one of those Life$tyle 48 setups (with that fancy-dancy "UMusic") at one of those canned demo kiosks (to bad I could not put my own material in it), and it was playing a scene out of Lord Of the Rings : Fellowship of the Ring. I tried to turn it up so I can actually hear the dialog, but it kept distorting. If I kept it down low enough without it distorting, than I could not hear the dialog! But at the same time, there was this women standing behind me gushing at how awesome it sounded. I turned around and told her I thought it sounded like crap - could not understand the dialog! I then went on and said, sorry, but I think I'll stick with my Klipsch setup! Some other guy overheard me and just grinned at me!

then go into settings while lotr is on and then set the eq back to normal and sooner or later a sales representative will ask you politely to leave

i laugh everytime i see the bose commercial on tv (which seems to be quite often these days). the bose expert says something to the effect that "if you compare this system with a regular tv..." that should be a clue to anyone, regardless of how much you know about sound equipment. You're comparing your super-system sound to a regular tv? man, you sure are proud of that system. sadly, i'll bet people are buying into it.

Several years ago we welcomed a very well to do couple into our gourmet club. We rotated dinners from home to home so each of ended up entertaining at some juncture. He learned that I was a stereo fan and expended some effort in showing off his lovely Bose system during our fare at his home. A few months later and we dined at my house, the one with the Khorns in the dining area.......... His eyeballs about popped out-of-head when he heard the difference. He apologized for his Bose system. Another sad victim of marketing.[H]

......and nothing from Bose is THX certifed.......

Lucas should push introduce the new and squeaky TEEHX BS standard! You ask what is TEEHX BS,very simple.How can B0$ e meet this standard? Well read on...

The speakers shall have a bandwith of 60-12000Hz with a linearity of +/- 14dB across this bandwith.

The speakers shall use a stapled steel 6.5" woofers capable of a 4mm peak to peak and use a magnetic structure that weighs under 10oz.

The speakers sats shall use a 2" "full range' driver capable of sustaining 40W on short peaks sourced from some sweat shop overseas.

The amp shall have a damping of 10 and capable of 80W PMPO for the sub and 25W PMPO per satelite.

The speaker system shall be named,B0$e Acoustic Me$$ TEEHX BS

The price shall be a fixed $799 US