Tweeters and Networks for sale

mark1101

Liquidating some good stuff. Anyone interested please EMAIL, I don't get to the PMs. Prices are delivered to your door in the US.

set of 3 CT-125 tweeters: $180.00 Perfect condition. Look and sound brand new.

1 pr. original B networks (cornwalls): $150.00 Rebuilt by BEC. Meet original factory specs, look and perform like original.

1 single AA: $100.00 Rebuilt by BEC. Meets original factory specs, looks and performs like original.

1 pr. AL-3 networks $280.00 Rebuiilt by BEC. Meet original factory specs, look and perform like original. This is a deal!

The B networks and a pair of tweeters are sold. The other items remain.

I thought the AL-3 nets would be first to go. I think they are a good deal for $280.00. Came out of my 1990 LaScalas and have had very little use since being rebuilt. Shortly after I went to ALK Jr. nets and the AL-3s are bagged nicely and on my shelf. Look and sound great. Original factory spec performance.

Could the AL-3's be used in the place of AL's on a pair of 1989 LaScala's? Significant difference?

Trash those AL's. You will be amazed at the difference those AL3's will make.

Mark is a great guy. That is a good deal.

""A few years back Q-Man and I did a comparison of a bunch of networks (AL, AA, AL-3 and ALK) and the AL's performed the worse by a mile. The AL-3's were closest to the ALK's (imho) and would be a major improvement.""

Very intresting, considering prices on ebay for the AA, AL, AL-3 are relatively the same, pace being set by the AA network.

"What the does the cost of the networks on eBay have to do with the performance of the networks?"

Demand for used Hertitage networks seems generic. Prices for the AL, which this forum rates low, and the AL-3, which this forum rates higher, are pretty much the same as those for the AA.

Once the word gets out on how much better the AL-3 is, perhaps the demand will be reflected in higher selling prices.

Before that happens, folks will need a better understanding why the AL-3 is better.

The AL-3s sound better at loud volumes than the older A and AA models (I have these). I don't know anyone who would even pay money for the AL models (I have 1 of these).

The AK-3 may be an improvement over the AL-3, but I would expect that since they were of a later generation.

The later generations improved the sound of the speakers at louder volumes using steeper slopes.

I have a set of AK-3s I would sell that came out of my 1996 Khorns. But.....those were rebuilt with all Auricaps and most would not spend what I have into them. But....they ended up being the best Klipsch network I ever heard that wasn't an ALK of some sort.

Basically, all of my Heritage models were upgraded to SOME version of ALK and so I am selling off my stock versions which are all brought up to either factory spec or better.

Anyone need a set of AK-3s with all Auricaps? I added terminal strips as well for easy connectivity. Remember these were the versions where Klipsch just soldered the monster cable from the drivers directly to the caps.

Mark,

For all intensive purposes the AL-3 and AK-3 are identical networks. If my memory serve me correctly the only difference is the woofer cap sizes and where they are located? (the value of the caps may even be the same) The difference you heard bewteen the two if compared apples to apples would have to be the better caps in your AK-3'. But you know some experts say that caps make no difference as long as they test the same [;)]

The L in AL-3 stands for Lascala and the K in AK-3 stands for Khorn.

Craig

The AK-3 and the AL-3 are the same network with minor differences. The woofer caps are a slightly different size and the AL-3 has added tweeter protection (a polyswitch). There would be a slight difference in the bass roll off. I don't know if it is enough to be noticable. If you were to add around a 33 uF cap in parallel with the 100 uF woofer caps to the AK-3 crossover it should then perform exactly the same as the AL-3.

Bob Crites

Probably not practical to convert an AL to an AL-3. They share so few parts between them. I say "probably" because there are several versions of the crossover marked "AL" and I am not sure I have seen all the versions.

Bob Crites

Probably not practical to convert an AL to an AL-3. They share so few parts between them. I say "probably" because there are several versions of the crossover marked "AL" and I am not sure I have seen all the versions.

Bob Crites

Thanks. Doesn't hurt to ask. Changing the crossovers on my LaScala's is low on my things to do. They are only being used as surrounds on my home theater.