My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

I've had some emails regarding the LS 3/5a as my number 1 choice in my top 10. The LS 3/5a is still available. Stirling Broadcast, a UK based company has a current BBC licence to produce the new version known as the LS 3/5a V2. The Version 1 used Kef drivers. This created a problem because Kef was notoriously unreliable in the supply of these drivers. Stirling Broadcast, in consultation with the BBC, designed a new LS 3/5a which uses Stirling Broadcast drivers. The crossover has been redesigned by some guru so that all the legendary sound remains, but with increased dynamics and spl's as a result of using more modern drivers. The new speaker sells for around $1400 in the US for the cherry wood version with the upmarket veneers going for around $1700.

The new speaker is promoted as a drop in replacement for the older Version 1 and a number of broadcast studio's throughout the world have taken up this option. If anyone has the opportunity to buy an older Version 1, all the parts are still available, including new cabinets and crossovers.

Now some have been asked why I have choosen the La Scala over the Klipschorn. I have never thought the La Scala was a better speaker than the Klipschorn. But for many, including myself, the La Scala was the defining moment for me when I moved from 3 in 1 type music centers to true hi-fi. I never believed you could have the wonderful midrange clarity of the LS 3/5a with decent spl's! Plus the Klipschorn, great speaker that it was/is, is a lot more expensive. The La Scala was a high end product that I could actually aspire to and I didn't have to fork out huge dollars for amplification etc.

post-15368-13819314797914_thumb.jpg

Now some have been asked why I have choosen the La Scala over the Klipschorn. I have never thought the La Scala was a better speaker than the Klipschorn. But for many, including myself, the La Scala was the defining moment for me when I moved from 3 in 1 type music centers to true hi-fi. I never believed you could have the wonderful midrange clarity of the LS 3/5a with decent spl's! Plus the Klipschorn, great speaker that it was/is, is a lot more expensive. The La Scala was a high end product that I could actually aspire to and I didn't have to fork out huge dollars for amplification etc.

Now that is hot.

When I first saw the new La Scala, I thought yuck! I was so used to the industrial based design of the older version. Now I have completely swung the other way. The new La Scala looks fantastic.

It's funny but given the size disparity between the BBC LS 3/5a and the La Scala, you'd expect the amplifier requirements to differ. But they don't. Both speakers would be very happy with a tube amp of around 50 watts per channel. Any quality amp will do. Maybe even a Jolida integrated, which is what I used anyway. But you could use a classic tube amp that's been restored, or even a quality s/s integrated. I could imagine the La Scalas paired up with a Merlin preamp and VRD monoblocs. A match made in heaven.

I've heard the LS 3/5a hooked up to a low powered SET amp. They sounded okay but the little monitor likes a bit more power. I've heard both speakers hooked up to my Classe power amp. Now that was nice.

All the other speakers in my top 10 have virtues and drawbacks. Depending on room size, listening preferences and dollars, I guess each speaker could move up or down the list. But I should make this point. You could buy ANY speaker here and run them with inexpensive electronics. But feed them a quality signal, they will blossom and grow into true high end transducers.

Now I have discussed the BBC LS 3/5a, the La Scala, now next in my top 10 list is the Monitor 40. This speaker has been going toe to toe with the Spendor SP100 as THE preferred BBC type large monitor for those that appreciate accurate reproduction of the human voice. They are more than a large LS 3/5a. They have their own personality and obviously, demands. They don't tolerate small rooms and close to wall positioning. Also I have to say, there are a lot better looking speakers out there. But matched with sympathetic equipment, these speakers can sing. I would suggest a 50 plus watt per channel tube amplifier or a s/s power amp around 100 to 150 watts per side. Check out Bob Neill's 'Enjoy the Music' review if you want: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0801/harbeth40.htm

post-15368-13819317352196_thumb.jpg

The Mighty Klipschorn. This speaker has been around a decade longer than I have been alive. It was a no compromise design - well it did have compromises - but PWK managed to reduce them to such a degree that even today, a 30+ year old model will stun the listener with an amazing soundstage and incredible, life like dynamics. Some of the earlier models may be starting to show their age a bit compared with more recent versions. But some very clever x-over guru's are regular Forum contributors and they are always willing to provide the correct advice and hardware for those that wish to upgrade to a more refined sounding loudspeaker. Recent updates have brought about the Klipschorn AK5 with cosmetic improvements and a new horizontal corner seal and probably some x-over updates. There's been some talk of a sealed back being introduced on the standard Klipschorn model around mid 2007. That will be interesting.

I know people say you can drive the Klipschorn with anything. And people do. But these speakers deserve something special. To make these babies really sing, match them with the very best quality amplifier you can afford. I reckon they are a little more amplifier sensitive than the La Scalas, maybe because they have (much) more extension in the low end. Really big power isn't necessary, although I have personally run mine with a 200 watt per channel s/s amplifier. The result was that something special.

Recent reviews are far and few between but one that most are aware of is 'the Stereo Times' article from August 2001: http://www.stereotimes.com/speak080301.shtml

post-15368-13819317352356_thumb.jpg