My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

This is my current list of favorites. Why are they in my list? No real reason, I just like 'em. My order of preference will probably change by the time I finish posting this thread...

1. Martin Logan Summit

2. Klipschorn

3. Wilson Audio Sophia

4. Harbeth Monitor 40

5. B&W 802D

6. Magnaplanar 20.1

7. ATC SCM 50

8. Martin Logan Vantage

9. BBC LS3/5a

10. Avantgarde Duo

Okay, I'm quoting myself - I know it's sick. But over the last week or so I have considered dozens of speakers that I've had some sort of contact with, or have had some experience with in some form or other over the years. I haven't worried about price or size or anything like that. These are the speakers that have struck some sort of chord with me. Some may be surprised at the make up or the ranking, but I'm being really honest here. In all sincerity, here is my new list...

1. BBC LS 3/5a

2. Klipsch La Scala

3. Harbeth Monitor 40

4. Klipschorn

5. Martin Logan Summit

6. Avantgarde Duo

7. B&W 802D

8. Dynaudio Special Twenty Five

9. Wilson Audio Sophia

10. ATC SCM 50

I chose the LS 3/5a as my number 1 speaker because it has had the most influence on me over the years. It was the first real hi-fi speaker I ever owned and it introduced me to the idea that accurate reproduction of the midrange was all important. Now the LS 3/5a has some limitations, but in the right room, they are magical. BTW these little speakers absolutely love tubes.

Believe it or not, the progression to the La Scala is an obvious one. PWK worked out many years before anyone else, that the midrange is so important. The La Scala reproduces the midrange so well that it embarrasses many other so-called high end speakers. What the La Scala does that the LS 3/5a can't do, is play at decent spl's.

Either of these two speakers would be a good choice for the discerning listener. Now the Klipschorn is listed below the La Scala because it is more demanding to set up. Ultimately though, the Klipschorn is a superior speaker when correctly placed and driven by a sympathetic amplifier. My current speakers, the Martin Logan Summits, are listed below the Klipschorn. This is because they are even more difficult to set up than the Klipschorn. They are also much more demanding of amplification.

Just my 2 cents worth...