My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

My favorites would have to be the few special super dream systems I have heard:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Nearfield Pipedreams

Advantegarde Trios

Martin Logan Summits

All of them coupled to equipment costing as much as a small house. Since I auditioned the Classic Audio Reproductions Cinema Ensemble and loved it, probably would include their mammoth Hartsfield reproduction too.

It's funny you say that. I heard a pair of B & W 802's being powered by some AVR from either Denon or Yamaha and they sounded like crap. I went back a few weeks leter and they were hooked up to a Yamaha M-2 amp (certainly not top of line) and they sounded EXCELLENT!!!

Well, for me, the newer or upgraded Klipschorns would be at the top of any list of plausible home speakers.

Many others are appealing, including panel speakers, but they don't have the Klipschorns' finely graded dynamic contrasts.

Finely tuning a room, or feeding speakers with optimized program material can sometimes make an unimpressive speaker sound great. With tender loving care, most speakers that are not compromised for price can be made to sound good.

Example: Speakers I usually don't like are the Bose 901 series, and the Altec theater series. BUT the Bose sounds quite good at Alphonso's Mercantile in Mendicino Village, CA, and Altec Theater systems sound great when fed with a good 'ole magnetic Todd-AO 6 channel soundtrack, especially with those warm and wonderful double system installations, with full coat 35mm mag film carrying the 6 soundtracks, synced to the 70mm print. I suspect these tracks were mixed with the Altecs, or JBLs in mind.

Did someone mention Bose? Tthe 901 is Bose's flagship speaker. It's been around a long time in various forms. In some ways it's as difficult to place in a room as most panels because most of the sound fires out from the back. There's only 1 driver at the front. The other 8 drivers at the back of each speaker fire towards the back of the room so 90% of what you hear is reflected sound. It sound bizarre doesn't it? But it works. Although the results are not to everyone's taste...

post-15368-13819314092796_thumb.jpg

Some eye candy from Bosendorfer. Unusually for the size of this speaker, it's a 2 way system with 2 treble speakers and 4 bass drivers. The frequency response is 25Hz to 27Khzwith a 91 db/m sensitivity and they utilise this active acoustic principle, with a 'horn and plate resonator'. Bosendorfer are famous for making pianos for those that don't know...

post-15368-13819314093626_thumb.jpg