My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

The elusive brown note is more of a myth than fact. SPL would have to be eardrum tearing and bowel blasting to cause brownies to apear from people.I would say over 140dB @ 6-8Hz. not easy to reproduce. [A]

Not true.

My son just had one, and from what I can tell it was an octive somewhere in the Spongebob song.

Mr Mayonaise,

Please to cause a true blue Brown Nore you need a sustained SPL way above the capablity of any sub you may have.Or B...your son will have Brown Notes each time Britney Speakers lamo songs play on the radio.

I think it is B. [:P]

The Meridian DSP8000 is a 4 foot high truncated pyramid carrying the tweeter and midrange unit sitting atop a curved bass bin containing no fewer than six 8" woofers. Three of these plastic-cone, long-throw units are mounted vertically in-line on each side panel. The HF unit's voice-coil is silver, and its dome is specified as being formed from a "composite" material... Yummy stuff when you cosider the DSP8000 is active - no power amps to worry about, just a preamp. But you can even drive these things directly from a suitable digital source...

post-15368-13819314171222_thumb.jpg

TheEAR likes Dynaudio and speakers that look AND sound good too! Hmmm, let me see..... Ah! The C4 of course! At $16,000/pair price, the C4 uses lots ot trickle down stuff from theMaster and the Temptation which are $85,000 and $30,000 respectively. Interestingly the C4 uses concepts orginally made famous by John Dunlavy from Duntech and DAL. You can see some similarity with those older designs...

And you could also say Duntech uses Dynaudio drivers.Dynaudio designs and fabricates all drivers in house,in Denmark.No cheapo labour like we know...ahem...ahem...who.Paradigm is another such brand,all drivers designed and made in house,as is Focal.

Also you know Dynaudio drivers are used in the word's best speakers,along with ScanSpeak,Eton and Accuton. JBL and TAD also design and manufacture some juicy drivers,drivers you could use to build killer horn loaded speakers.

The recently introduced $32,500/pair Midi-Grand-Ceramique GRCe-M-1.0, is offered as a stepping stone in the Ceramique line between the top-of-the-line Grand-Ceramique and the Ceramique 1.1. Now these are nice. I could live with a pair of these...

They use Accuton and Eton drivers mostly,the non Accuton tweeters are from Focal.

Also you should post...Rockport Technologies speakers they use Dynaudio and mid-bass/woofers made by a company with former Dynaudio engineers...forgot the name.These drivers are used in Verity Audio's speakers.

1) One big difference between, say, the 80's and today: In the past it was possible to hear most of the advanced speaker designs in an urban area, with a short road trip.

In '82 I had my choice narrowed down to three rather different sounding speakers: the Klipschorn, the B & W 801 (F, I think), and the JBL 4350 (big studio monitor that made Duke's list). I was able to hear the Klipschorn cheek by jowl with the 801 at a store in Oakland, and the JBL next to the Klipschorn in Berkeley (the Khorn sounded the most like the orchestra I heard every day, so I went with it .... the JBL was a close second, and the B & W was very pretty, rich, and pleasant, but not like "live").

Within a half hour's drive, I heard Magnapan, Bozak, Acoustat, Altec, Polk, Infinity, you-name-it. I listened for weeks (hours in each store during off hours) and came up with Khorns. It was hilarious to hear a few of the dealers bad mouth speakers they didn't carry, until I no longer found it funny, and asked them to keep their opinions to themselves and let me just listen.

Today, try finding and listening to the collection Edwinr and the others have posted!

2) The most powerful confounding variable, in the past and now, would be the combination of room acoustics and placement. I've been repeatedly surprised by speakers I am not particularly fond of sounding excellent in certain rooms. JBL 4312s sounded great at The Different Fur Trading Company (a recording studio, of course), and not too bad at Tower Records Classical. The Bozak Concert Grand sounded great (but a little tame compared to the Khorn nearby) in one store, and incredibly muffled and distant at another.

Runnin' total, and a list of "appearances" from the good, bad, ugly and "aesthetically pleasing".... Those pesky little forum glitches are not included at the moment (but could be...)

Acoustic Energy AE1 MkIII's

Advantegarde Trios

AE1

Allison Ones

Altec Voice of the Theatre (e.g., A7).

Altec AlNiCo 604 duplex drivers (e.g., 604B)

Altec 19

ATC SCM 50

Avalon Eidolon Diamond

Avantegarde Trio

Avantgarde Duo

Avantgarde Duo

B&W 801

B&W 802D

B&W N800

Bard by Loth-x

BBC LS3/5a

BBC LS3/5a loudspeaker

Bonneville 650s

Bose 901

Bosendorfer AC7E

Cornwall

Dahlquist DQ-10s

DL-15/Bs

Duntechs

Dynaco A25

Dynacos

Dynaudio C4

Dynaudio Master

Dynaudio Evidence Master

Dynaudio Temptation

Dynaudio's Evidence Temptation

Edgarhorn Titan

Eliptica

ESS AMT

Final Sound-1000-i

Gallo Reference 3's

Grand Monument Reference

Grand SLAMM X1's

Harbeth Monitor 40

JBL K2

JBL Everest

JBL 4350

JBL L100

JBL 4311

JBL 4312

JBL 4313

JBL L-7

JBL 4430/ 4435

JM Lab Focal Grande Utopia

KEF 105

KEF B139 woofers

Kharma Reference 1A

Kharma Grande Ceramique

KL-650

Klipsch LaScala

Klipsch Cornwall

Klipsch Heresy

Klipsch RF-7

Klipsch RB5

Klipschorn

Klipschorn 60th Anniversary

Large Advent Loudspeaker

Legacy Whisper

Living Voice Airscout

Loth-z Amaze

Loth-X Audio Amaze

M&K S150 satellite

Magnaplanar 20.1

Magnepan MGLR1

Magnepan MG20.1

Martin Logan Summits

Martin Logan Vantage

Martin Logans (aerius)

Martin Logan Summit

mbl 101D Radialstrahler

McIntosh-XRT2K-3

Meridian DSP8000

Midi-Grand-Ceramique GRCe-M-0,

Nearfield Pipedreams

Nearfield Pipedreams

NHT

Oheocha D2 Saturn

Opera Audio Consonance M12 Barque

Quad "57" electrostatics (I finally have acquired a pair of these)

R312's Cerwin Vega

Reference R909

Revel Salon2's

Revel Salon2's

Rockport Technologies Hyperion

Sonus Faber Amati Homage anniversario

Sound Fusion Hyperion

Stradivari Homage

Summit

Tannoy Westminister

Thiel CS7Bowers & Wilkins 800 Signature

Thiel CS3.7

Totem Arro

Totem

Triangle

Veritas V2.4i

VOTT

Wharfedale

Wharfedale W-70

Wilson Audio Sophia

Wilson Alexandria X2

WITT

Zephyr

Zu Definition

edwinr,

Wilson Audio what are model are these monsters? Not the WHAMM that is for sure.I have the rare chance of auditioning all the wilson speakers from the WITT to the Grand SLAMM X1's.Quite impressive ,in the dynamic and uncolored way.

Arthur, that was a typo. For 'Wilson', read 'Wisdom'. The Infinite Wisdom Grande is capable of high spl's in excess of 120 dB. Employing stacked three section planar-magnetic arrays over 13 feet tall, low frequency assemblies over 8 feet tall and a total system weight of almost two tons, this is a HUGE speaker system.

The stacked Infinite Series three section planar-magnetic arrays are mated to mammoth low frequency assemblies incorporating twelve 12 inch, underhung, 3 inch voice coil low frequency regenerators per channel, for a total of twenty-four drivers per pair.

Now that's real 'thwack' potential...

post-15368-13819314175202_thumb.jpg

1) One big difference between, say, the 80's and today: In the past it was possible to hear most of the advanced speaker designs in an urban area, with a short road trip.

I

Aaaahh ....

the late '70's, early '80's ....

when there were actual Stereo Shops.........

not Box Store's, selling interchangeable Black Crap

in Rochester we had Bob Hyatt's, Gala Sound, Sound Advantage, Brighton Sound...

carrying the Good Stuff .....