My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

This is my current list of favorites. Why are they in my list? No real reason, I just like 'em. My order of preference will probably change by the time I finish posting this thread...

1. Martin Logan Summit

2. Klipschorn

3. Wilson Audio Sophia

4. Harbeth Monitor 40

5. B&W 802D

6. Magnaplanar 20.1

7. ATC SCM 50

8. Martin Logan Vantage

9. BBC LS3/5a

10. Avantgarde Duo

Hmmm... I might have to revise this list soon... [*-)]

The Large Advent Loudspeaker was a favorite in college and I have as much affection for them as remembering my first car.

the Large Advents where my first speakers. I think I got them in 79. Paid $400 for them that was alot of money on a student's summer job salary. With Inflation that is about $1000 in today's dollars. Still have em running in the exercise room, together with a pair of smaller Advents(same drivers, smaller box) They really have great bass to pump iron with!

Darn glitch while I'm tryin' to post a pic of the Sound Lab Audiophile Series A-3 electrostatic panel loudspeaker, one of my Top Ten picks![:o]

J. Gordon Holt of Stereophile (Vol. 9 No. 6) said about the wood framed A-3s:

"Never in my life have I lived with a speaker that has brought, and continues to bring, as much pleasure, excitement, and satisfaction. In short, I am madly passionately in love with their sound... Imaging from the A-3's is spectacular!"

I hope photographer and A-3 owner Philip Greenspun doesn't mind I doctored-up his image a bit...gotta make it forum-friendly y'know.[;)]

From the moment of its launch in 1979 the ProAc Tablette has been acclaimed as one of the greatest mini-monitors of all time. Many thousands of pairs have been sold over the last twenty-three years and this stunning little loudspeaker has become a firm favourite with music lovers worldwide. The Tablette's replacement, the Reference 8 is stunning...

post-15368-1381931443389_thumb.jpg

I am not a big fan of Paradigm's styling. I reckon it's over fussy. But the S2's styling works a lot better than the bigger designs. And it sounds great. I would go as far as to say that this little bookshelf could challenge the B&W 805's for a top 10 spot. They're that good...

post-15368-1381931443425_thumb.jpg

Like all Reference 3A loudspeakers, the Dulcet has a sloped front baffles to time align the drivers and chamfered edges to minimize tweeter reflections that can adversely affect imaging. These speakers are also unique in their lack of a conventional crossover. The midrange/woofer is driven directly by the partnering amplifier while the tweeter sports but a single oil-filled capacitor in its signal path. With such a minimalist circuit, the resulting sonics should be remarkably transparent, with little attenuation of dynamics and a more musically coherent performance with greater immediacy. Of course, the downside of this approach is invariably a less-than-flat frequency response since the handoff between drivers is accomplished purely mechanically...

post-15368-1381931443496_thumb.jpg

Now it hurts me to do this. But I will. Acoustic Research used to be one of the great loudspeaker brands. Now although it's still around, it's been absorbed into the AudioVox conglomerate. That's really sad. But here goes - their top of the range speaker being the ARXP410 featuring a built in powered subwoofer...

post-15368-1381931443588_thumb.jpg