My Top 10 List of Speakers

edwinr

edwinr,

Where are Dynaudio's? You cannot be serious not putting these,in any top ten best of the best they belong. A few of the funky and unproven designs you posted may look better but perform not even close to only a inexpensive Confidence C4.

A serious top ten of the best of the best would include...

Dynaudio Evidence Master

JM Lab Focal Grande Utopia

Wilson Alexandria X2

Kharma Reference 1A(Kharma simply builds the most exquisite speakers in the world,they are that damn good,built quality is perfection)

Klipsch K-Horn 60th Anniversary edition (a bargain at its full retail,budget compared to the competition)

Rockport Technologies Hyperion (all around near Karma like in the build quality departament,neutral to the extremes)

Just adding... Thiel CS7 (driven by BAT,well priced built like the far more expensive competition!!)

Bowers & Wilkins 800 Signature

Avalon Eidolon Diamond (after Dynaudio these are my second choice)

JBL K2 (another american legend of sonic excellence)

The rest I would not dare include as the above I am sure represent excellence,some moer than others.And If I had to get only ONE it would be the Evidence Master.My current Dynaudio Conyour S 5.4's are with ease the best speakers under 10K I heard,easy(to my ears).

All driven by Tenor Audio or Lamm tubes...oh the joy.

The elusive brown note is more of a myth than fact. SPL would have to be eardrum tearing and bowel blasting to cause brownies to apear from people.I would say over 140dB @ 6-8Hz. not easy to reproduce. [A]

Not true.

My son just had one, and from what I can tell it was an octive somewhere in the Spongebob song.

TheEAR likes Dynaudio and speakers that look AND sound good too! Hmmm, let me see..... Ah! The C4 of course! At $16,000/pair price, the C4 uses lots ot trickle down stuff from theMaster and the Temptation which are $85,000 and $30,000 respectively. Interestingly the C4 uses concepts orginally made famous by John Dunlavy from Duntech and DAL. You can see some similarity with those older designs...

post-15368-13819314169622_thumb.jpg

I like Arthur's Ten Best list as well. But I don't recall the Magnepan MG20.1 being mentioned anywhere. I heard these monsters when my bro and I picked up the MGLR1s back in the '90s, and these beasts disappeared they're that transparent, and they image like crazy! It's a shame they need megawatts to drive 'em to live levels...other than that, I loved the little MGLR1s driven by my McIntosh!

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_201

But if you really had $85,000 to spend, you'd have to consider these - Dynaudio's Evidence Temptation speaker system. This speaker has 8 drivers, is 7 feet tall and offers total lackof grain, freedom from distortion and dynamic compression, outstanding focus for nearfield and farfield listening positions, and deep, wide, layered soundstage, and "superb measured performance" with an "astonishingly flat" farfield frequency response, "superbly well-controlled lateral dispersion," and a clean cumulative spectral-decay plot that was "free from resonant hash." (Stereophile)...

post-15368-13819314170032_thumb.jpg